PDA

View Full Version : Too Cold to WaX?

ragtopgolfer
01-02-2003, 08:02 AM
This weekend the high is going to be about 40 degrees (Washington D.C.) and I was wondering it that is too cold to apply paste wax? Thanks.

HellrotCi
01-02-2003, 09:00 AM
Generally, temperatures below 50° are considered too cold. I`ve never read why, but my guess is because what is used as a solvent in the wax doesn`t evaporate as well as it does when the temperatures are warmer. This is purely a guess on my part, so I could be wrong. From my own experience, I once waxed my wife`s car with Blitz when the temperature was in the 40`s and I had a lot of streaking. Since I`ve switched to Souverän and S100 which are both rub on/rub off types of waxes, I`d at least give them a try on sub-50° days.

I was going to suggest leaving your car in the sun to warm up, but I just checked the weather for DC for the next few days, not good. :eek:

ragtopgolfer
01-02-2003, 09:36 AM
Alright thanks for the insight. If anyone feels as though Meguiar`s would be an okay choice of sub 50 degree weather please let me know.

Lowejackson
01-02-2003, 09:44 AM
It can be done, the only way I have found that works is to apply a very thin layer of wax. Leave it on as long as possible and then buff off.

Steven

Tim Lingor
01-02-2003, 12:21 PM
I just finished using Meg`s at around 30-32 degrees! I had to wipe the frost of the wife`s van before I could start. It is really hard to get the polish and compounds off at that tempearture. I had to use QD once in a while to mist the area to get the residue off.

If you have read any of my other posts, you would see that I am having trouble with pads grabbing. It could be the cold weather doing it as the polish etc can not flow properly.

If you are desperate , or a polishing nut like me, give it a shot. I have used Meg`s #20 Poly in very, very cold Temps with only minor streaking.

Here is a picture taken a couple days before Christmas, beautiful day, no snow on the ground (that is VERY RARE), but a little cold(30 degrees or so). Notice the heavy jacket???

Good Luck!!!

samiam513
01-02-2003, 12:34 PM
i`m still waxing myy truck until it freezes during the day. I`m near frederick Md. and it hasn`t gotten too cold for carnauba.

Jngrbrdman
01-02-2003, 01:38 PM
I just waxed my car on New Year`s Eve in 35 degree weather. It was probably a little warmer in my garage, but not by much. The door was open and I don`t have heat in there. It still felt more like 40 in there though. I think that as long as its dry outside and you are able to work in it then temperature doesn`t matter much. I`m sure wax wouldn`t work well in 20 below zero conditions, but you wouldn`t be out there waxing in that temp now, would you? ;) ...ok, maybe some of us would. lol I may have to rethink this statement... lol

mrdetailer
01-02-2003, 01:45 PM
is my personal limit. Things just don`t dry easily before that. Our area has quite a bit of humidity in the air in the winter, and it gets much more difficult to try. So with most carnaubas I do the entire car before I start to buff. With Sealants, I have to let them dry 2-3 times longer when in the 40s.

I `ll jump after a good storm series if it clears up and gets into the forties.

Frankly though, it is much faster at 50 Degrees.

imported_Intel486
01-02-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by 2hotford

I just finished using Meg`s at around 30-32 degrees! I had to wipe the frost of the wife`s van before I could start. It is really hard to get the polish and compounds off at that tempearture. I had to use QD once in a while to mist the area to get the residue off.

If you have read any of my other posts, you would see that I am having trouble with pads grabbing. It could be the cold weather doing it as the polish etc can not flow properly.

If you are desperate , or a polishing nut like me, give it a shot. I have used Meg`s #20 Poly in very, very cold Temps with only minor streaking.

Here is a picture taken a couple days before Christmas, beautiful day, no snow on the ground (that is VERY RARE), but a little cold(30 degrees or so). Notice the heavy jacket???

Good Luck!!!

You don`t like to use the handle on the makita?

Also, looks like you`ve got more pressure applied to one side of the pad than the other :p

ragtopgolfer
01-02-2003, 03:56 PM
Thank you fellas, the answer was more than adequate !

Since the car still beads off I think I`ll hold off for one of those mild days in January and just wash the car. Thanks again.

G Money
01-02-2003, 04:12 PM
Before a winter detail, I`ll bring the truck out of the garage and let it sit in the sun for a bit and it seems to help warm the waxing surfaces up. I`ve even waxed in direct sunlight before when the temps were frigid in January.

I`d wash the car at a "no-touch" auto wash (my hose was put away) then I`d limp it home for a half mile, QD it, paint cleaner and wax it.

(Any kind of wax application was better than waiting for the spring).

rd_volvo
01-02-2003, 04:21 PM
Emailed P21s a few years ago. Tech support stated 42 is good.

I Blitz to about 45 degrees.

rd