PDA

View Full Version : 100% cotton hand towels, ok to use??

Pages : [1] 2

airjames
01-01-2003, 03:21 PM
:up

Well mother recently bought a bunch of Cannon 100% cotton bath towels, hand towels, and dish rags from a Meijers store not too far from here. I was curious to know if it would be ok to use the hand towels to wash my mom`s black car (2002 Grand Prix GT) There not small like the dish rags but there not huge and heavy like the bath towels, there meduim size. Are these ok to use for washing, if not, any suggestions?? Tks everyone:xyxthumbs

bigpoppa
01-01-2003, 03:30 PM
I usually use fieldcrest charisma select hand towels. no problems. I prefer their size to the bath ones.

imported_Intel486
01-01-2003, 03:41 PM
I believe the Cannon`s are 100% cotton loop, which means the backing has polyester in it. I think they are like 86% cotton.

I have Cannon Hand Towels for my Interior works.

DCT
01-01-2003, 03:56 PM
Intel486,

Jezzzzzzzzzzzzzz......... don`t be telling me that the Cannon Charismas are not 100% cotton............ you`ll give me heart failure! :D Isn`t anything sacred anymore?

Anyhow, if that`s the case, are there any true 100% cotton towels out there?

F-150_91

I`d still go with a 100% cotton wash mitt rather than the towels for washing!

imported_Intel486
01-01-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by White_F150

Intel486,

Jezzzzzzzzzzzzzz......... don`t be telling me that the Cannon Charismas are not 100% cotton............ you`ll give me heart failure! :D Isn`t anything sacred anymore?

Anyhow, if that`s the case, are there any true 100% cotton towels out there?

I just checked my white Cannon towels. They are 100% cotton loop. 86% cotton, 14% poly.

Royal Velvet by Fieldcrest are 100% cotton. I buy their scrape pieces. 12 for like $16. they are about the size of a hand towel, maybe a little bigger but they are nice an thick and pretty low lint.

DCT
01-01-2003, 04:19 PM
Well, that makes me feel better! The FieldCrest Royal Velvets are made by Cannon, and the Charismas are Cannons "Top-of-the-line" towels. I have both. The Charismas are even softer and plusher than the Royal Velvets! They are also more expensive! :(

airjames
01-01-2003, 09:22 PM
I heard there is a way to find out for sure if a towel is 100% cotton or not. If it burns a certain way vs the way a towel with polyester in it. I am not sure how this is done??? Tks guys, I will look into some Feildcrest towels:xyxthumbs

:shocked <<<< This is my reaction when I see myself in the morning in the mirror, lol!

imported_Intel486
01-01-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by F-150_91

I heard there is a way to find out for sure if a towel is 100% cotton or not. If it burns a certain way vs the way a towel with polyester in it. I am not sure how this is done??? Tks guys, I will look into some Feildcrest towels:xyxthumbs

If it is 100% cotton, then it`ll burn completely to ash. Polyester will leave hard balls in the ash.

airjames
01-02-2003, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Intel486

If it is 100% cotton, then it`ll burn completely to ash. Polyester will leave hard balls in the ash.

Ok, mom says she always buys 100% cotton towels and makes sure of it. Maybe i can use these towels for drying???, BTW what`s the difference between 100% cotton and cotton chennile, besides the name, Tks again all:up

imported_Intel486
01-02-2003, 01:19 AM

Ok, mom says she always buys 100% cotton towels and makes sure of it. Maybe i can use these towels for drying???, BTW what`s the difference between 100% cotton and cotton chennile, besides the name, Tks again all:up

100% cotton can be any type of thread. Your shirt can be 100% cotton but you wouldn`t use it to buff off wax.

Chennile is a type of thread. It is like yarn.

When we talk about 100% cotton and towels we usually are talking about terry cloth towels.

Taxlady
01-02-2003, 01:29 AM

Do the burn test on them anyways. You could be in for an unpleasant surprise. Sometimes it says "100% cotton loops". It could be a polyester base (for strength) with cotton loops, `cause cotton absorbs better.

airjames
01-02-2003, 01:51 AM
it says on the label they are 100% cotton Made in the USA. But still Taxlady you are right. I want to do the burn test tomm and see what happens. Anything i need to know before doing this???????? I want to find out if the towel is 100% cotton and not to see how fast i can throw myself up in flames:scared :down Please what do i need to do, know, before taking on this task. Tks everyone :up

Taxlady
01-02-2003, 01:54 AM

it says on the label they are 100% cotton Made in the USA. But still Taxlady you are right. I want to do the burn test tomm and see what happens. Anything i need to know before doing this???????? I want to find out if the towel is 100% cotton and not to see how fast i can throw myself up in flames:scared :down Please what do i need to do, know, before taking on this task. Tks everyone :up

Well, cotton doesn`t burn all that fast. But, you might want to do it in the kitchen over the sink and hold the little square of cotton with a pair of plyers.

shaf
01-02-2003, 03:44 AM

If it is 100% cotton, then it`ll burn completely to ash. Polyester will leave hard balls in the ash. Also, it will leave a yellowish resin on the bottom of whatever surface you burn it on. I burn my small samples on a piece of tinfoil outdoors and it`s easy to see this residue.

imported_edschwab1
01-02-2003, 05:19 AM

I just checked my white Cannon towels. They are 100% cotton loop. 86% cotton, 14% poly.

Royal Velvet by Fieldcrest are 100% cotton. I buy their scrape pieces. 12 for like $16. they are about the size of a hand towel, maybe a little bigger but they are nice an thick and pretty low lint.

Where do you buy the scrape or irregular towels from?

Eric