PDA

View Full Version : My plans - pls correct if error

goixiz
12-31-2002, 07:06 PM
I plan to do this when its warmer, with all the gifts i received over the xmas. P21s kit and a lot of cleaning supplies and Eagle one detailing kit (small bottle of various cleaners)

Ive got a white (pearl white 300ZX)

www.geocities.com/goixiz/300zx.jpg

ANd would like to give it a good coat and let it gleam

Wash - P21s bodywork cond. shampoo

Clay bar - clay magic (selected spots only)

Paint cleaner - P21s paintwork cleaner

Wax - P21s Carnauba wax

Ifi want to put a layer of synthetic coat should i put it before or after carnauba ? whats a good synthetic coat (brand) that i can get locally in automotive store or somewhere.

If i use a polisher (5 or 6" porta cable) for both the cleaner and wax what speed do i run it and how often do i change pads ?

Why apply the way with a foam pad instead of terry cloth pad ?

Thanks again

p.s. i did get the autopia "guide to detailing"

imported_Intel486
12-31-2002, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by goixiz

Ifi want to put a layer of synthetic coat should i put it before or after carnauba ? whats a good synthetic coat (brand) that i can get locally in automotive store or somewhere.

If i use a polisher (5 or 6" porta cable) for both the cleaner and wax what speed do i run it and how often do i change pads ?

Why apply the way with a foam pad instead of terry cloth pad ?

Thanks again

p.s. i did get the autopia "guide to detailing"

Why are you going to clay only selected spots? Might as well do the whole vehicle as it`ll make the paint nice and smooth.

You`ll want to put the synthetic on before any carnauba. I know Liquid Glass you can get at pepboys. I`ve used it before and I really like it. It goes on easily and comes off easily and gives an awesome shine with only one coat. It doesn`t have the durability some of the synthetics have. I believe I heard one person say they were getting three months out of it.

For the porter cable buffer you would want to run it on full speed for polishing and then slower for waxing. I`m not sure of the speed settings on the porter cable as I use the DeWalt Orbital Buffer. I just know the slowest setting on the DeWalt, which is faster than the slowest setting on the PC, is too slow for me to wax with. I usually end up setting it a little faster. It helps me get a nice even coat on a vehicle quickly. I think the e-book has a section in it on using the PC, if not, then someone can post DavidB`s video on using the PC.

Also, you`ll want to use a different pad for polishing and waxing. I also use a small brush to clean the foam pad off after a few sections to keep it from getting gumbed up with excess product. This is more important for polishing than waxing. You can wax a vehicle and not have to worry about cleaning the pad. Also, use a brush that doesn`t have metal bristles and make sure the bristles don`t easily come out. A plastic bristle stuck in a spinning pad would be scratch city!

It is better to apply wax with a foam pad than a terry pad. Same for polish. The terry can cause swirls for one and it`ll also get gumbed up fast with product. Foam is just a lot better.

You`ll also want to buff off all these products by hand. Don`t use your PC for this.

nate010753
12-31-2002, 09:04 PM
Definitley clay the whole car you won`t regret the extra time it takes. Makes the car look way better. I did mine this weekend and loved the results. And everything else Intel said!

goixiz
01-01-2003, 09:40 AM
Is it to reduce gum up on the pad on the PC pad ?

SO is this right ?

1. Wash

2. Clay bar whole car

3. Polish (swirl remover)

4. Synthetic

5. carnauba

What a good synthetic wax i can get by mail

I wont be doing this for a while so i have time :bounce

Thanks

nate010753
01-01-2003, 09:57 AM
If your car is black or another dark color Blackfire looks really nice. I use it on my black accord and the results are incredible. You can research it at www.properautocare.com

good luck

imported_Intel486
01-01-2003, 10:47 AM

Is it to reduce gum up on the pad on the PC pad ?

SO is this right ?

1. Wash

2. Clay bar whole car

3. Polish (swirl remover)

4. Synthetic

5. carnauba

What a good synthetic wax i can get by mail

I wont be doing this for a while so i have time :bounce

Thanks

The pads will gum up very quickly if you try to buff it off with the PC. It just will end up taking too long.

I like Klasse Sealant Glaze. You can get it from Klassedirect.com or properautocare.com

I`ve also started using Profection from PRO. Their webpage is prowax.com

mrdetailer
01-01-2003, 12:51 PM
I know it`s not in the name, but Blackfire looks excellent on white. I also topped my white Car with P12S after the Blackfire had been on for 2 weeks and was amazed at how completely compatible these 2 waxes were. They both have a brilliance that works well on white. The only disadvantage to some is that once P21S is applied you can`t apply Blackfire. No biggie to me and the look is fantastic.

Personally, since you asked about synthetics I would recommend

after your P21S GEPC that you apply

Klasse All In One, or Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish

Blackfire II Paint Protectant 2 coats at least a day apart.

Wait a week then top with P21S Carnauba.

When I followed that procedure it produced the best look I`ve ever seen on my white Subau.

goixiz
01-02-2003, 09:11 AM
So if i apply with pad and buff off with terry cloth by hand - When do i ever get to use the PC ?????

Does this apply to both poilishing and waxing ???

imported_Intel486
01-02-2003, 01:43 PM

So if i apply with pad and buff off with terry cloth by hand - When do i ever get to use the PC ?????

Does this apply to both poilishing and waxing ???

You can apply polish and wax with the PC.

You buff the residue off by hand though.

paco
01-02-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by mrdetailer

I know it`s not in the name, but Blackfire looks excellent on white. I also topped my white Car with P12S after the Blackfire had been on for 2 weeks and was amazed at how completely compatible these 2 waxes were. They both have a brilliance that works well on white. The only disadvantage to some is that once P21S is applied you can`t apply Blackfire. No biggie to me and the look is fantastic.

Personally, since you asked about synthetics I would recommend

after your P21S GEPC that you apply

Klasse All In One, or Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish

Blackfire II Paint Protectant 2 coats at least a day apart.

Wait a week then top with P21S Carnauba.

When I followed that procedure it produced the best look I`ve ever seen on my white Subau.

Applying AIO would remove the GEPC. I`d skip the AIO step and go straight BlackFire.

Pco