PDA

View Full Version : Zaino and glaze

Murrayhe
12-31-2002, 10:06 AM
I want to put Zaino Z1 + Z2 on my black car after I polish it. Which glaze would you guys recommend? Would mixing of different brands (since Zaino doesn`t make a glaze, afaik) be of any problems?

imported_memnuts
12-31-2002, 10:13 AM
If I were going to use Zaino again on a black car I would pre-treat (glaze) the finish with P21S Gloss Enhancing Cleansing Polish (GEPC). Great stuff and would really help Zaino is creating some depth with black. To wash or not to wash prior to Zaino application.:nixweiss I personally would just apply on top of GEPC.:wavey

Murrayhe
12-31-2002, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the info. From your comments I take it that you no longer use Zaino? What do you use for your black car?

Also, after pre-treating the car with GEPC, I can just add coat after coat of Z5 correct? Or will I need to reapply GEPC after a few months also?

imported_memnuts
12-31-2002, 11:42 AM
First off Zaino is a very fine product and produces an excellent finish appearance. Appearance preference is a personal choice. Some like sealant`s gloss enhancement. Some like carnuaba richness and depth. I like both but with emphasis on the richness and depth. I found that with the combination of pre-treatment my black finish with Meg #9 and P21S GEPC and protected by a Blackfire/P21S combo and topped bi-weekly with Super Shine`s Power Shine has given me the appearance combination that I like. Wet, Glossy, Deep ( color not clearcoat enhancement) and Reflective. What I am finding out with the Power Shine is that I am getting a Zaino-like gloss enhancement over the carnauba richness. This is an on going experiement so final results are still pending.

"after pre-treating the car with GEPC, I can just add coat after coat of Z5 correct? Or will I need to reapply GEPC after a few months also?"

There are several avenues of thought on these questions. Some believe that to achieve proper bonding of the Zaino to the paint surface that all oils should be washed off with Z7. I believe the the small amount of oil will not greatly effect the bonding for a car that will be detailed frequently (once a month). In terms of GEPC usage, that depends on surface marring that occurs over time. When it appears that minor imperfections are not filled by the periodic application of Z5, it is time to start over again. Many Zaino users have this thing about the number of layers applied. I went down that path also. If the car does not look like you want it to look after 10 or so coats, adding 10,20,30 more will not greatly improve the appearance (depth). Either strip and re-prep paint surface better or change the protectant used. I changed the protectant used. To be fair to Zaino I did not know about GEPC and just applied over a Meg#9 and #7 PC and washed surface. It looked great but not quite to my liking (never deep enough). I have been a carnauba person for over 30 years which lead to me trying Blackfire with a carnuaba topper.

Hope this helps. You will love Zaino just prep well and create as much depth as possible with the GEPC.:wavey

Murrayhe
01-02-2003, 10:01 AM
So, basically you`re recommending that I apply P21S Gloss Enhancing Cleansing Polish (GEPC) first and then followed by Z1 then Z5?

Also, should I do a Z7 wash between the GEPC and Z1 or just go for it directly?

Lastly, (sorry about all the questions) I already coated on door panel with Z1+Z5. If I were to take your suggestion does this mean I should do Dawn on that panel to strip out the Zaino?

bigpoppa
01-02-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Oggle

Lastly, (sorry about all the questions) I already coated on door panel with Z1+Z5. If I were to take your suggestion does this mean I should do Dawn on that panel to strip out the Zaino? [/B]

Dawn will not completely strip Zaino - although I have found it to `weaken` it a little. You need something abrasive - e.g. 3M SMR or some isopropyl alcohol.

imported_memnuts
01-02-2003, 11:03 AM

So, basically you`re recommending that I apply P21S Gloss Enhancing Cleansing Polish (GEPC) first and then followed by Z1 then Z5?

Yes

Also, should I do a Z7 wash between the GEPC and Z1 or just go for it directly??

Either wash with Z7 and QD with Z6 prior to Z1 then Z5 or just Z6 prior to Z1 then Z5. I would only do the latter.

Lastly, (sorry about all the questions) I already coated on door panel with Z1+Z5. If I were to take your suggestion does this mean I should do Dawn on that panel to strip out the Zaino?

Just go over this area with the GEPC. It will remove any Zaino that on that panel.

Hope this helps.

:wavey

Murrayhe
01-02-2003, 09:56 PM
Excellent advice. Thanks!

Murrayhe
01-02-2003, 10:18 PM
I can`t seem to find this prodcut P21S Gloss Enhancing Cleansing Polish. Can you point me to a link to it?

I looked at this page, but doesn`t seem to be here either:

http://www.properautocare.com/polish.html

Murrayhe
01-02-2003, 10:34 PM
I`m guessing this product must be it:

http://www.properautocare.com/p2paincleanl.html

Do anyone know where I can buy this product locally? I`m in the Los Angeles area.

bigpoppa
01-02-2003, 11:07 PM

Do anyone know where I can buy this product locally? I`m in the Los Angeles area.

that`s it. I don`t think you can buy it locally, but I`m not 100% sure that someone doesn`t carry it.

Sci-Fi
01-02-2003, 11:39 PM

Go to your local Harley Davidson dealer and buy the P21S equivalent, S100: http://store.yahoo.com/classic-motoring/s1shinclean.html . Some Harley dealers are having a 25-50% off sale last time I bought some ($4). Was in the Visalia area at the time though.

Murrayhe
01-17-2003, 02:31 AM
A follow-up on GEPC. I put GEPC on followed by Zaino. Afterwards I just need to continue putting on more layers of Zaino and no more GEPC? Will the GEPC deteriorate underneath Zaino?