PDA

View Full Version : preparing for zaino coats help

1andrews
12-31-2002, 09:52 AM
Ok, going all out on my car tomarrow as long as it doesnt rain, and would like some stuff cleared up.

I have real light scratches in my paint (Swirl marks I guess), new car.

I have meguiar`s 9 (SMR), p21s paint cleanser, a PC, and zaino.

My thoughts were to use p21s by hand. Then use #9 with the PC, then dawn wash? then put on zaino pending good results.

The car was just recently clayed.

C. Charles Hahn
12-31-2002, 09:54 AM
what I would do is #9 via PC first, then use P21S GEPC by PC, Z7 wash and go for it from there. :up (don`t need to do a dawn wash after you`ve polished, and Z7 will take care of the oils just as well) :up

1andrews
12-31-2002, 10:46 AM
Whats the reasoning behind using #9 first? In most step programs the cleaner always seems to come before the polish?

Just wondering what the logic is behind that choice?

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE!

1andrews
12-31-2002, 02:16 PM
I knew I shouldn`t have used the word zaino in the thread title, as now everyones going to ignore it! haha.

Seriously though, I`m just asking how to get the best shine using #9 and p21s paint cleanser. If that means using paint cleanser second (and also by hand) them I am just curious as to why.

I`m really sorry if I`m being annoying.:o

imported_memnuts
12-31-2002, 02:27 PM
I can only give you my experience with #9 and GEPC. I apply #9 with PC first because I feel it is more aggressive than GEPC. I apply the GEPC by hand only because it is so much fun to work into the paint and I normally only do portions of the car everyday for a week. I see no other advantage ot using the PC for GEPC besides saving a great deal of time and avoiding wrist discomfort. ;) I have received a smoother and glossier final paint appearance when I use the hand glaze ( IHG and now GEPC) last.:wavey

imported_Intermezzo
12-31-2002, 02:28 PM
emobob:

Neither of those are really "cleaners" in the true sense of the word. Both are closer to being "finishing-polishes". I know P21S calls it`s polish a paint cleanser, but the correct `industry-term` for what it does is that it`s either a finishing glaze or polish. A true paint cleaner (which is an often misused term...even here on Autopia!) is a much stronger abrasive than both products. In fact, cleaner & compound are terms that are used interchangeably.

Between P21S GEPC and Meguiar`s #9, you should use #9 first because it`s contains stronger abrasives. GEPC is a milder product and would more appropriately be used as your final polish AFTER using #9.

1andrews
12-31-2002, 02:36 PM
:bow

Thank you for setting me straight, geeze I hope it doesn`t rain tomarrow, I`m really excited about seeing the results!

You guys(gals) are awesome:up

shaf
12-31-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Intermezzo

Between P21S GEPC and Meguiar`s #9, you should use #9 first because it`s contains stronger abrasives. GEPC is a milder product and would more appropriately be used as your final polish AFTER using #9. Yep. :up This is exactly why I don`t get caught up with the name of the product at all, and only consider what exactly the product is, what it contains, and what its intended job is. That really helps reduce confusion about "what goes where when".

:wavey