PDA

View Full Version : Protecting underside of hood

imported_endorice
12-30-2002, 06:12 PM
What do you fanatics suggest for best protection on the underside of a hood?

I`ve been using Klasse on the exterior of my two vehicles, but don`t detail the underside of my hood very often. I was wondering if it might work best to get the hood underside clean, then put a heavy coat of some carnauba based wax, and just leave it there without buffing it off. Would seem this would provide the best method for protecting the underside and making future cleanings a little easier.

Suggestions?

Jngrbrdman
12-30-2002, 06:52 PM
Man, a carnauba wouldn`t last 30 minutes on the underside of a hood. I think its best that they just be left alone. I clean mine everytime I detail the engine and that seems to be enough. I`ve been known to QD before a car club meet or any other time I think I may have my hood popped for a crowd. Frequent maintainance is all you can really do for the underside of your hood though. That is, if your hood doesn`t have one of those silencers covering 90% of it.

TurboCat
12-30-2002, 07:29 PM
You know I`m glad somebody brought this subject up - I detailed my engine for the first time about a month ago, and noticed that on the inside of the hood at the top (near the wipers), the paint is coming off the underside of the hood. There are quite a few gray areas, which I think is the primer! It freaked me out. How can I keep this from rusting?

imported_Intel486
12-30-2002, 08:04 PM
I hand polished as much paint as I could reach under the hood with Meguiar`s #9 and put a coat of Profection on it. You could tell a big difference after polishing as the paint was really oxidized under there. Be careful of the sharp metal though. I sliced up my fingers a couple of times while working. OUCH!

detailbarn
12-30-2002, 08:09 PM
I have sound pads on most of the hood , on the edges that don`t have it , I`ve been know to wax it.:D It doesn`t last but it makes me feel good , or stupid not sure which.:confused:

CharlesW
12-30-2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by detailbarn

I have sound pads on most of the hood , on the edges that don`t have it , I`ve been know to wax it.:D It doesn`t last but it makes me feel good , or stupid not sure which.:confused:

At least I`m not alone. The underside of the hood, any other painted place I can reach in the engine compartment, underside of the trunk lid, they all get AIO once in a while. Nobody but me usually sees it, but that`s who I do all this stuff for anyway.

Charles:wavey