PDA

View Full Version : Tried some new stuff

imported_Aurora40
12-30-2002, 04:45 PM
Well, I`ve gotten around to trying a few of my Christmas gifts. I thought I`d post my initial impressions.

The other day I used Protect-All QEW on my wife`s car. It was fairly dirty, but not gray from salt or anything. It was quite easy to do and seemed to be quite gentle. I was surprised how little water one gallon is (and how much an ounce is). I guess I usually use less than an ounce of carwash for about 1.5-2 gallons. Anyway, I was impressed with the job the QEW did. Quite a nice product to have in the arsenal.

I also used Meguiar`s #00 Hi-Tech car wash. If you recall, I was worried it would be too mild. I can report it did a great job on transforming my winter gray Aurora into a cherry red one. It is very sudsy and feels very mild. I really like it, and I probably won`t buy GC anymore. I think I will probably start using less of it than I use of GC, though. I filled the wash bucket back up with water after finishing the car (at which point the bucket had about 25% of it`s original volume) and it was instantly super sudsy and slick again. I used that to wash the doorjambs. So apparently it doesn`t take much of it to do the trick.

Lastly, I used some DF Towels to dry the car off. They are absurdly soft. I really love them. They seem to absorb more water than the PakShak, but it still wasn`t enough to dry a car that had water beaded all over it. Probably with a sheeted car it would be fine, but now that I use the final distilled water spray I can`t sheet it.

As an aside, the distilled water trick isn`t quite the miracle it seemed to be. I`ve noticed a very light spotting that gets left behind (most noticeable on windows). I don`t get the car completely dry, but I wipe it down with the DF (formerly with a Pakshak) and leave the little bit of water remaining to dry on its own. I don`t know if the problem is the hose water that was on the car isn`t being diluted/displaced enough by the distilled water, or if I need to spray two gallons instead of one, or if the distilled water I bought isn`t "clean" enough (which seems unlikely). The spotting is much reduced compared to before I used it (and the drying is just easier), but it hasn`t worked out as I hoped it would. I`ll first try using more water. I could try a second pass of drying to get the last bits of water, but that won`t work come summer and the whole point was to avoid spotting if the water dries before I can get to it (which is inevitable when it warms up).

Oh, I used the Meguiar`s All Metal Polish on some exhaust tips. It really shined them up great (better than AIO) but they weren`t all that dirty. I don`t know how it will do on worse surfaces, or on household metals like brass. But it is interesting and easy to use and doesn`t smell like poison.

1andrews
12-30-2002, 04:48 PM
What is the distilled water trick and what does QEW stand for? I keep seeing that, but its not in the acronym page...

ryeh2o
12-30-2002, 04:54 PM
Did santa leave some Meguiar`s over-spray clay under the tree??

I thought i read somewhere that he might be dropping off such an item to a good boy like you! ( lol )

If he did, i`m looking forward to the review.

Cheers

Ryeh2o

imported_Aurora40
12-30-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by emobob

What is the distilled water trick and what does QEW stand for? I keep seeing that, but its not in the acronym page...

Here is the distilled water trick (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16888). And QEW stands for Protect-All Quick and Easy Wash (http://www.protectall.com/qelg.htm). It`s a way to wash your car without using a hose or getting water on the floor. Great for in-the-garage washing when it`s cold out.

The distilled water spotting is really light. I think maybe it didn`t happen as much the first time I used it. This time it seemed a little more noticeable, although you really have to look at it just right to see it.

imported_Aurora40
12-30-2002, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by ryeh2o

Did santa leave some Meguiar`s over-spray clay under the tree??

I thought i read somewhere that he might be dropping off such an item to a good boy like you! ( lol )

If he did, i`m looking forward to the review.

Cheers

Ryeh2o

Nope, didn`t get any. I think my wife meant to order it but forgot to include it. I was sort of interested to try it out, but since I didn`t get it I will probably try some Clay Magic or Mother`s again. I really liked the Mother`s clay when I used it.

Oh, I also meant to point out a product combo I`ve used a few times now with success. I have some original Blackfire that I don`t really want to use on my car because BF2 is sooo much slicker. BF1 isn`t really very slick at all. And I also have some #26 that I don`t really use. So what I`ve done about four times now on family cars and on my wife`s car is put a coat of BF1 down, then top it with #26. This gives it some slickness and beading, and it really turns out looking great. Plus it is real easy to apply. I`m not gonna replace BF2 and Souveran with it, but it`s a nice way to use up products while providing family members with a look they are impressed with. The only drawback is BF1 seems to stain trim more than 2 does. I don`t know what the long-term durability is, but I imagine it will be about the same as #26 by itself. On my wife`s car, it really looked better than the AIO and SGx2. But I doubt it is as durable.

I think the next thing I want to look for is a QD with carnauba in it. I really like using Crystal Mist, but it is unlikely I`d shell out for it (got it with the Forum Fav kit). Plus, it seems a bit too la-dee-da to use on a car topped with #26... ;)

Oh, I`ve also been using Engine-Kote on family member`s wheels as a way to get a nice shine on them without the pain of applying a protectant like SG (you`d be surprised how often I wash and wax and whatever else their cars, so sometimes I go for the timesavers. I figure they are better off than if they didn`t bring it to me, but maybe not as well off as if it were my car). Anyway, I tried this on my wife`s car but went all out and sprayed down the tires too (after cleaning them). They looked nice and it was really easy. They dried to a nice natural look that just looked like a clean, new tire (before they looked like a clean, not-so-new tire). I wouldn`t recommend it unless you want a super easy way to do tires (no buffing, wiping, nothing) without the fear of getting dressing on the wheels (since it`s safe for metals and I put it on the wheels anyway). I just thought I`d mention it is all... They don`t look as nice as with a "natural" look from a rubber dressing like #40 (it leaves a satiny, attractive finish, but it isn`t really natural since the tire doesn`t naturally ever look like that).

1andrews
12-31-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Aurora40

Here is the distilled water trick (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16888). And QEW stands for Protect-All Quick and Easy Wash (http://www.protectall.com/qelg.htm). It`s a way to wash your car without using a hose or getting water on the floor. Great for in-the-garage washing when it`s cold out.

The distilled water spotting is really light. I think maybe it didn`t happen as much the first time I used it. This time it seemed a little more noticeable, although you really have to look at it just right to see it.

THanks! sorry for the newB questions :bounce

imported_Aurora40
01-09-2003, 04:18 PM
Well, today I tried using 2 gallons of distilled water and it worked much better. No spoting or hazing at all. And, this was in direct sunlight. It got up to 65 today. So I guess I just didn`t use enough water last time. This time I sprayed everything down so much that it was really running off the car. I imagine that helped a lot. So I guess I`ll keep the sprayer and stock up on distilled water.

I used #00 again today and so far I really like it. It is very gentle and sudsy. Unfortunately I noticed some pretty bad swirling (large quantity, but hopefully not very deep) on my car after I dried it. It could be from a chenile sponge that should be retired, or maybe from the QEW wash, or maybe from today when I didn`t use as much #00 (last time I used too much [would have been a normal amount with GC] so I tried using much less this time). But I think it may have just been from the last time I washed the car and maybe the sponge was too old (plus the car was really disgusting that time). The swirls didn`t match up with today`s wash motions, and when I QEW`d the car really wasn`t dirty at all. Oh well... Now I have some work to do once the weather warms up. Maybe I can try out my cutting pad with some SFP...

C. Charles Hahn
01-09-2003, 04:31 PM
do you have any DACP also, because I`ve found that DACP works better than SFP with the cutting pad, SFP is more meant to be used with a polishing pad. ;)

imported_Aurora40
01-09-2003, 05:48 PM
Yeah, I got some DACP too. But I`m not sure I want to break it out on my car... :( SFP is gentler...