PDA

View Full Version : fastest drying time polymer at say 45F?

Pages : [1] 2

tetz
12-30-2002, 02:26 PM
Hi

Any opinions on the fastest drying time polymer for winter?

I use Z5 now, and even in summer it is a drag waiting for the

stuff to cure (wife: WHADDYA MEAN I CAN`T DRIVE MY CAR TILL

TOMORROW???).

I think ZFX is ridiculously overpriced, but if Z5+ZFX cures faster

than either Meg 20 or Klasse AIO, that`s the direction I`ll go.

I do have a heated garage but it takes a loooong time to bring

the car surface temp up to the air temp, so I call it 45F. I`m a

cheapskate with my own gas bill so I rarely heat it above 60F.

thanks

JonT

Jngrbrdman
12-30-2002, 02:30 PM
AIO doesn`t need any cure time. SG is the part that needs 24 hours to cure. AIO is basicly just a paint cleaner and prep for the SG. You can hit it up with a topper or a sealant at any time after application. You don`t even have to wait for it to dry on the surface before buffing it off. You are supposed to work one panel at a time. You just apply it and then remove it before moving on to the next panel. Pretty simple painless process. SG is still going to need a full 24 hours to cure no matter what temperature you are in would be my guess. Heating your garage too high won`t do a whole lot of good I wouldn`t think.

I wasn`t aware of the cure time for #20. I`ll have to do some searching on it. I`m sure we have discussed it in the past.

bigpoppa
12-30-2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by tetz

Hi

TOMORROW???).

thanks

JonT

if you`re having trouble with Zaino dry times - perhaps you are applying it too thick. The only times it hasn`t wiped right off (even w/o ZFX) are when I put it on too thick. By the time I am finished applying it to the entire car, it`s ready to be wiped off at the beginning.:wavey

TortoiseAWD
12-30-2002, 03:03 PM
Keep in mind that, although ZFX is pricey, and you only get a tiny amount, it`s enough to treat 16 oz. of Z2 or Z5. If you use 1/2 oz. to do a single layer, you`ve only added about $0.60 to the cost of your Zaino for that layer.

$20 dollars / (16 oz. * 2 coats per oz) = $0.63 ZFX per layer

If you get 3 layers from one oz (that seems to be my average):

$20 / (16 * 3 ) = $0.42 ZFX per layer

Drying times are greatly decreased with ZFX . . . I put a couple of layers on the WRX this weekend in 50` temps, and I applied to the entire car, had a smoke, then started removing shortly after that. I`d say 20-30 minutes is all it took to set up, if that.

Tort

Lowejackson
12-30-2002, 03:07 PM
Autoglym Super Resin can be applied and then buffed out, it is better to leave it a while to gain protection. Autoglym Extra Gloss normally cures within an hour (longer depending on temp etc). If you really want thing to happen quickly, apply the Super Resin leave 10-15 mins (dont buff out) and then apply Extra Gloss leave for an hour or so, this is when you could do the interior, buff out. All done in an hour and a half. Extra Gloss can be layered as well.

Steven

mrdetailer
12-30-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by tetz

Hi

TOMORROW???).

thanks

JonT

Assuming that your garage will have high humidity, at that temps Blackfire II takes about 1.5-2 hours. If it smears it`s not cured enough to take off yet. Leaving it on a little long isn`t a problem, just a little harder to remove.

imported_Intermezzo
12-30-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by TortoiseAWD

I applied to the entire car, had a smoke, then started removing shortly after that. I`d say 20-30 minutes is all it took to set up, if that.

Ooooh! A man after my own heart! Nothing beats having a smoke while detailing....especially when you`re done and enjoying your car`s shine. Also, having a smoke plays an important part of my detailing regimen......it`s the easiest way for me to gauge how long 5 minutes is!

I agree, ZFX really makes Zaino remarkably easy...even in cool weather. Just apply to the entire car, rest a few minutes and then start buffing. At 45 degrees, you`ll have no problems at all doing it the way Tortoise described, as long as you use thin layers.

Reading your wife`s quote, it sounds like you plan on layering the product right? AIO & Meg #20 have questionable layerability....while ZFX was specifically designed (among other things) to allow effective layering in a single day.

spotter
12-30-2002, 04:36 PM
I applied the original formula BlackFire polish ( 1 coat) and protectant sealant ( two coats) last week in 40-45 degree temperatures and waited less than 30 seconds to buff out. It took me less than 2 hours to do all three coats by hand and I was not hurrying at all. That is the main reason I bought the original BF. No cure time, works in HIGH humidity, easyon and easyoff, and looks great on dark colored cars.

I would not want the new formula BlackFire...perfectly happy with the original. I put some S100 on top and use QuikShine after washing and it is superslick to the touch.

imported_ThreeSixT
01-01-2003, 01:45 AM
I just did my Grandfather`s Buick while I was on vacation in Colorado in about 45-50 degree weather. Didn`t really notice any difference in curing or drying times of SG from here in Hawaii. Still took about an hour or so for the SG to completely dry before I removed it. Hope this helps :xyxthumbs

Andre'
01-01-2003, 07:53 AM
I would go with BF2 on this, it`s a very fast drying product.

BTW i`ve tested BF one and two side by side and BF2 is the winer in every way. :up

TortoiseAWD
01-01-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Andre`

I would go with BF2 on this, it`s a very fast drying product. :nixweiss My experience has been the opposite . . . the only two times I`ve been able to try BF2, the temp has been around 50` or so, and I had problems with smearing (as though the product weren`t quite dry) even after a couple of hours of waiting. I`ve been (im)patiently waiting for warmer weather, so I can determine if the problem persists at higher temps.

Tort

mrdetailer
01-01-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by TortoiseAWD

:nixweiss My experience has been the opposite . . . the only two times I`ve been able to try BF2, the temp has been around 50` or so, and I had problems with smearing (as though the product weren`t quite dry) even after a couple of hours of waiting. I`ve been (im)patiently waiting for warmer weather, so I can determine if the problem persists at higher temps.

Tort

Curing time on BF II gets much faster once temps are 55 or above. I had a day with 60 degrees and 50% humidity and I just put it on the hood, trunk and roof them removed it immediately without smearing. When it is dry enough to not smear then it comes off quickly. Smearing to me means it`s not ready.

Even with erratic drying time. Blackfire II is so gentle on my conventional coat that it`s going to be hard to use another sealant on that car.

mrdetailer
01-01-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by OutlawTitan

I would not want the new formula BlackFire...perfectly happy with the original. I put some S100 on top and use QuikShine after washing and it is superslick to the touch.

I`m so much more pleased with BF II that I would be happy to sell you a nearly full bottle of BF I for $15.00 including shipping. I can use the cash to get another bottle of BF II.

Hawkeye_TDI
01-01-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Ds01C5

if you`re having trouble with Zaino dry times - perhaps you are applying it too thick. The only times it hasn`t wiped right off (even w/o ZFX) are when I put it on too thick. By the time I am finished applying it to the entire car, it`s ready to be wiped off at the beginning.:wavey

Me too, I put it on so fine I can barely see it (on my puter truck) I can see it on my black car. Anyway, I have a heated garage and by the time I apply it`s time to wipe.

I was unaware of the "cure" times refered to in some posts. I`m aware you must cure 24 hrs between coats but are people suggesting if no more coats are planned the car stay out of the weather for the same period to cure? That may be hard to do.

procareman50
01-01-2003, 08:43 PM
Jngr is right about the AIO...no cure time. I used it one evening in the dark (light of the garage) in 40-45F weather and it went on easily, waited 5 minutes and buffed it off with MF no problem.