PDA

View Full Version : Newb ? Cleaning the polishing pads.

Pages : [1] 2

thehaggis
12-30-2002, 09:48 AM
Ok! Now that I`ve used all of your wonderful information to make my car GLEAM and BLiND, how should I clean the Meguirs PC polishing pads? I tried just rinsing them in the sink with some warm water and detergent but they still feel waxy. Are the Dishwasher or Clothes washer an option?

CharlesW
12-30-2002, 10:34 AM
A Dawn and warm water wash in the sink seems to work pretty well for me. I do let them soak in a solution of soapy water for several minutes before actually kneading them to remove most of the residue. You should use a different pad for each product. If you do this, I don`t think the little bit that may be left is going to be a problem. I have heard that the machine wash can cause damage to the velcro on the pad. After several hand Dawn washes, I see no damage to the pad or backing.

Charles

thehaggis
12-30-2002, 10:52 AM
Thanks I`ll try that.

C. Charles Hahn
12-30-2002, 10:54 AM
did you try searching on this topic before posting a thread?? :nono

Welcome to Autopia :wavey

thehaggis
12-30-2002, 11:01 AM
Yep "cleaning polishing pads", "washing polishing pads" didnt pull up anything.

Cheers!

ps: I thought this was where all the newbie/stoopid/repeat questions went! ;)

C. Charles Hahn
12-30-2002, 11:22 AM
I just did a search of my own, "cleaning pads" and pulled 116 results out, including one I myself posted back in May of this year. Link to one good thread:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10351&highlight=cleaning+pads

and as for this being where the "repeat" questions go, not necissarilly- this is where questions regarding basic detailing get answered when results don`t come up durring a search. Or aren`t covered by DavidB`s eBook (have you downloaded/read and/or bought it yet?) :wavey

thehaggis
12-30-2002, 11:22 AM
I never knew that Dawn would be such a needed tool of auto detailing.

I like the spin cycle idea, I should make my dog sit next to me when i do it, to see if HE likes it!

cheers.

thehaggis
12-30-2002, 11:26 AM
Thanks "Shiny Lil Detlr",

I bow to your search prowess. and thanks for the link. sorry to waste kb.

shaf
12-30-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by thehaggis

I never knew that Dawn would be such a needed tool of auto detailing. It`s NOT! :nono Just useful for cleaning supplies. ;)

I posted this a couple times earlier, but be careful about how much you "knead" the pad as it can harm the velcro. I wash mine in the sink (with Dawn) by squeezing it in between a sink mat and a dinner plate. It actually worked and was gentler on the velcro.

Sometimes you just gotta get creative with the searching, and look for the non-obvious or words that might be associated with things.

thehaggis
12-30-2002, 02:21 PM
:D I think you guys need a key for all the anacronyms you guys use :D

chris0626
12-30-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by thehaggis

:D I think you guys need a key for all the anacronyms you guys use :D

We have: http://www.autopia.org/acronyms.php

It`s cleverly called The Acronyms List, available in the upper left of the home page.

Clever, huh? ;)

thehaggis
12-30-2002, 02:52 PM
DOPE!

I guess I should become more familiar with the site, not to mention, the difference between anacronym and acronym. I think it is time i put down the keyboard before my "ignantcy" becomes to apparent.

Thanks for the help!

chris0626
12-30-2002, 03:01 PM
Not to worry! There are still tons of features I`m trying to figure out. Like: what the heck the "Autopia Pad" is on the User Control Panel. (Oops! Never mind that question. I know it belongs on Forum Feedback.)

I`m just happy to see an Atlantan on the board. Lived there for 15 years, and still (gone for 6 years now) haven`t gotten over being homesick for it. :(

thehaggis
12-30-2002, 03:10 PM
Be glad you moved because Atlanta supposedly has some of the worst acid rain in the south east.

atldave
12-31-2002, 12:31 PM
Howdy, other Atlanta newb!

I just got a PC polisher and used it for the first time last night.

I didn`t want to wait for the pads from properautocare, so I bought a turtle wax foam pad at Pep Boys for $5.

It worked fine, but it has already ripped.

$60 for a few pads from properautocare seems a bit steep for me.

Where did you get the Meguiars pads and how much?