PDA

View Full Version : help me gameplan on a 3yr old jeep

canisestinvia
12-30-2002, 02:17 AM
First off I`d like to say that a couple days of reading on this forum has taught me a lot. Already you have got me spending more money on car detailing.

Anyways, this is my dad`s jeep I wanna detail here. It`s a `99 Grand Cherokee in dark green. I`ve zaino`d the car a few times, but it has never been well taken care of. Washings are very infrequent, maybe once every 2 months. I think I`m facing a lot of oxidation with this car (medium to heavy?).

What are the steps I should take to bring out the best in this car? I`m not sure if I`m able to borrow a rotary buffer (although I`ve never used one), so I`m thinking this may be a hand job.

Here are some of the stuff I have now or have quick access to at a car parts store. But let me know if there`s something I definitely need for this project:

Zaino z-2

Meguiars #9 swirl remover

Meguiars #2 fine cut cleaner

Meguairs #7 show car glaze

s100

claybar

various quick detailers

Thanks!

2wheelsx2
12-30-2002, 02:48 AM
Looking at your list, I would think that you can do the following:

1) Wash, then clay

2) #9

3) Wash with Dawn

4) z-2

I think that`s your best bet by hand, using your existing stuff, for a car which will not see frequent washing and TLC.

However, if you plan on keeping up the regiment, and would like the swirls covered up a bit, I would go with:

1) Wash, then clay

2) #9

3) #7

4) S100

Now, if you can get a hold of a random orbital polisher, such as a PC, then I would go with:

1) Wash and clay

2) #9, and even #2 if it`s needed, then #9

3) Dawn wash

4) Z-2

The reason being that Z will magnify your inperfections, so if you can`t get at the majority of the swirls, then the #7 and S100 will cover them up somewhat. HTH.