PDA

View Full Version : BIMMER Question

procareman50
12-29-2002, 11:31 PM
Hey Gang:

Just used some 303 and Klasse VLR on my interior....both superb, nice semi-gloss shine to the VLR, especially on my M Sport steering wheel. Question is does anyone think that either would be ok for my walnut colored trim....the manual says just wipe down with water, but if not distilled, it leaves spots and that defeats the purpose of interior detailing now doesn`t it. Does anyone think either product would ruin the finish on that walnut trim, or at least haze it??

Let me know if anyone has tried it, or better yet, what Bimmer owners are using on their "faux" wood trim....Thanks......

Scott301
12-30-2002, 12:25 AM
I use 303 on my wood trim (2003 325i) from a post I believe someone had on here. It works great.

Brad

Jademonkey
01-13-2003, 11:01 AM
I have found that the best thing to use is a wax or sealent.

On the wood trim in the M5 I had some scratches, so I used p21s paint cleaner, and then applied p21s wax by hand(literally, i put some on my fingers and spread it like that) to the trim.

Makes it look great.

I have also used Klasse AIO and SG on the wood trim, and it looks great as well, and lasts longer than the wax, but the wax is easier to apply so I use that mostly.

F1Crazy
01-13-2003, 02:16 PM
That wood trim is real wood covered with clear plastic top coat and Plexus is a great product as it cleans and protects it.

Jademonkey
01-13-2003, 03:55 PM
I am almost positive it is not real wood.

From what I have read on the M5 forum that I go to, it is plastic covered by what some there called a clearcoat.

Maybe carguy(Greg) can add to this if he sees it since i think that he was one of the ones I heard this from.

rstype
01-13-2003, 05:49 PM
Greg has the plastic "metalloid" faux-aluminum on his Anthracite M5. BMW uses real wood covered with a clearcoat of plastic. You could use Plexus, QD, glaze, or wax with no ill results.

Steve @ Guru
01-13-2003, 06:37 PM
I can also confirm that the wood is real - in fact, it`s a type of wood that is grown just for use in BMW`s...nice - sorta` like black angus beef...

Brad B
01-13-2003, 07:34 PM
Yes you can use it, it will not hurt it. But I prefer quick detailer, myself. I find it smears less and leaves a better coating.

edwin191
01-13-2003, 09:33 PM
I used Zymol HD Cleanse to remove light scratches, Zymol Carbon for the finish coat on my 528. Worked like a champ....

procareman50
01-13-2003, 10:27 PM
Yeah Edwin, I noticed that the wood trim seems to scratch real easily.

Oh yeah, thanks guys, I actually did not know that it was real wood with a plastic clear coat.....

I tried 303 on the trim, and it seemed to streak a little and actually made it "filmy" or almost greasy....maybe I just need to buff it off a little better with a MF...any suggestions??

So Zymol HD cleanse will remove some of the scratches....they had Zymol at Target yesterday when I bought the GC wash....do you get the HD at Target also???????

edwin191
01-13-2003, 11:24 PM
I doubt you can buy Zymol HD Cleanse at Target. There`s one version of Zymol wax available through the normal retail channels (Autozone, Target, etc). It`s a 12-16oz light blue colored bottle with a liquid wax. It competes with the Rain Dance`s and Nu Finish`s of the world.

Do you have any S100 cleaner? Should work great as well.

I`ve been using Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish for the wood on my Benz. It`s designed to be used as a plastic and paint cleaner for motorcycles. Works great...just spray a bit on a MF towel and wipe it on. Fold the towel and buff it off. Great shine, easy to apply and remove, and no streaks. http://www.hondamotorcycles.com/the_goods/parts_and_service/detail.asp?ProductGroup=Cleaners+%26+Polishes&PartId=08C25-P011M&PartValue=Spray+Cleaner+%26+Polish&TheGoodsDir=3

procareman50
01-13-2003, 11:34 PM
Dude I didn`t realize you were from St. Louis.....I forgot. Yeah, you are right, the Zymol stuff was light blue...

Do you think I can get S100 cleaner at the harley store at the corner of Lindbergh and Big Bend??? Been There????

edwin191
01-14-2003, 09:02 AM
Should have no problem getting S100 products from Doc`s in Kirkwood. The price tags on my S100 are $14.95 for the wax and $8.95 for the Cleanser. May have risen slightly, as I bought this stuff in May, 2000.

I haven`t been in to the store since they remodeled it. I`m not much of a Harley fan. Looks like they have a nice place though...

procareman50
01-15-2003, 12:08 AM
Edwin:

CMA has the S100 Total Cycle Cleaner......

Same stuff??? I figure it is the stuff you are talking about.

edwin191
01-15-2003, 10:39 PM
The total cycle cleaner is a spray cleaner / degreaser used to wash motorcycles. Some bikes (Harleys especially) have lots of little nooks and cranny`s that are tough to get to. Spray this stuff on and rinse it off. Here`s a link to the product you`re referring to

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/classic-motoring/s1totcycclea.html

The S100 Cleanser is basically a light compound that preps the surface for the S100 wax. The cleanser is in the tall bottle...