PDA

View Full Version : Removing dried road paint from Carpet?

imported_dl9589
12-29-2002, 09:52 PM
I have a vehicle I am giving an interior detail next weekend, and am encountering a problem I haven`t quite encountered yet. There is some yellow paint (road paint) that got inside and dried on the carpet, has been there for probable 4 months now they said. I was wondering if simply shampooing the carpet would remove the paint, or if I will have to cut it out?

Any help or suggestions for getting this out would be great, especially if there is a product I need to get that does the trick.

Thanks guys!!

C. Charles Hahn
12-29-2002, 10:09 PM
start by trying the prestone or similar shampoo, if this doesnt work go to some diluted simple green (test for colorfast under one of the front seats first, but then go ahead with it..) which may do the trick (I have actually used diluted Simple Green before in these types of extreme situations with great results... not exactly "road paint" but house paint inside a van I owned once).

if nither of these work, then good luck!

imported_dl9589
12-29-2002, 10:48 PM
Alright, I never even thought about trying Simple Green. I would imagine you would want pretty well diluted right? At least 50:50?

C. Charles Hahn
12-29-2002, 10:53 PM
oh definitely... at minimum... although I usually start at like 75:25 (H2O:SG)

Bobby G
12-30-2002, 12:56 AM
Stoner XENIT!

imported_dl9589
12-30-2002, 07:48 PM
I would order the XENIT, but it won`t arrive in time for me to use it on the vehicle.

safetyman2010
12-30-2002, 08:05 PM
Sorry to tell you this but the only thing that will probably take it out is paint thinners if even that will do it. Road paint is usually a 2 part epoxy paint and extremely hard. The solvents used in these paints are very "hot" and the paint sets up fairly quickly so if it has been in there for 4 months I assume you will probably have some trouble getting it out. I would try using the all purpose cleaners mentioned first but you will probably have to resort to removing the carpet and trying to dissolve the paint with thinners. Good luck.

Patrick
12-30-2002, 11:43 PM
ShineShop, what your refering to is thermoplastic, and i sincerely doubt thats what it is....its about 350 degrees when applied to the road surface, and dries fairly fast (60 seconds)...I dont think thats enough time considering most thermo trucks have shadow vehicles following to reduce "tracking"....BUT IF IT IS, that owner is screwed, thermo plastic isnt meant to come out..or off......youd be better cutting the fabrics, maybe a steel wire brush.......If its your typical water based road paint, which many municipalities use, Simple Green (diluted mind you) is the way to go, we keep it on our road striper....

Im not sure I`d risk a thinner, may be better informing your client you cant guarantee stain removal......tough job ahead !! Good luck......:up

safetyman2010
12-31-2002, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Patrick

ShineShop, what your refering to is thermoplastic, and i sincerely doubt thats what it is....its about 350 degrees when applied to the road surface, and dries fairly fast (60 seconds)...I dont think thats enough time considering most thermo trucks have shadow vehicles following to reduce "tracking"....BUT IF IT IS, that owner is screwed, thermo plastic isnt meant to come out..or off......youd be better cutting the fabrics, maybe a steel wire brush.......If its your typical water based road paint, which many municipalities use, Simple Green (diluted mind you) is the way to go, we keep it on our road striper....

Im not sure I`d risk a thinner, may be better informing your client you cant guarantee stain removal......tough job ahead !! Good luck......:up

I see this all the time. We rarely get it on the interior of a vehicle but often get it splashed in the wheelwells and down the bottom of vehicles. You are right about thermoplastic. Often times we get a vehicle with it on the paint it has actually "melted" into the clear becoming part of the paint itself.

Patrick
12-31-2002, 01:39 PM
Wicked isnt it ? I wouldnt want to have it in my car.....That stuff is meant to last 10 yrs ya know.....lol