PDA

View Full Version : Can`t get swirls out

Murrayhe
12-28-2002, 06:22 AM
I got a PC, CMA`s yellow pad, and 3M`s swirl remover. Ran the PC at 5 on a silver car. Did it many times and put quite a bit of pressure in my polishing too.

But after like 3-5 passes, I still see swirls on the hood. It got a bit better, but still I was seeing swirls under my flood light.

How many times am I supposed to do this? Should I polish it more times, or is it just impossible to remove all swirls?

Sharkie
12-28-2002, 12:08 PM
Sounds like you need to use a more aggressive polish. 3M SMR is pretty mild stuff. You shouldn’t need to use a lot of pressure. I usually start off with light pressure and finish with virtually none. G’luck.

Adam

tkr128
12-28-2002, 08:41 PM
I have the same problem, except I went to a more agressive product (FI-2), and still have swirls. They seem more like scratches from my days of using Cotton towels made in Pakistan. My car is also silver. I`m just going to leave it until summer and try it again.

I don`t think it`s impossible to remove your swirls, I didn`t remove alot of mine probably because it was my first time with my PC.

Good Luck! Tell me how it goes! :)

imported_Intel486
12-28-2002, 08:46 PM
I agree. You are going to have to step it up to a more agressive polish.

I sometimes see swirls my rotary w/ a polish can`t remove. I have to use a compound to remove them and then come back and follow with a polish. I have pictures I have to get around to posting of this soon.

shaf
12-29-2002, 04:37 AM
According to 3M, FI-2 isn`t any "stronger" than SMR. Next step up would likely be DACP or FCRC (one with fillers, the other probably not).

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14700

imported_Tony
12-29-2002, 04:03 PM
DACP works for me.

tkr128
12-29-2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by 4DSC

According to 3M, FI-2 isn`t any "stronger" than SMR. Next step up would likely be DACP or FCRC (one with fillers, the other probably not).

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14700

Wow, I can`t believe I never found that thread. Thanks for the info, I think I`ll go get some DACP sometime. Thanks again!

shaf
12-29-2002, 04:51 PM
No problem! :xyxthumbs I`ve put it into my sig to make it easier to find in the future.

Tim Lingor
12-29-2002, 06:11 PM
Listen to Brian!

DACP is the Best and Easiest in my opinion. I like it so much, I buy it by the gallon!!! Then use #9 with a beige finishing pad!! Swirls will be history!!

If you still have a few problems, keep stepping down in aggressiveness ie. DACP and Beige, not enough, then DACP with a Yellow Meg pad, still not enough.... use the DACP with the burgundy Cutting pad. Then work in reverse to get out the swirls put in by the pads.

ALWAYS!!! finish with #9 and a beige pad!!! Add some #7 for some pop! and #26 or #20 as a final finish!!

You will be smiling in no time!!!! :)