PDA

View Full Version : 8 inch Meguiar`s Pads

Marty
12-27-2002, 11:32 AM
What is the size of the Velcro backing on the 8 inch Meguiar`s Pads?

Could these pads be safely used with a Porter Cable and a 6 inch backing plate?

I can get the 8 inch Meguiar`s Pads here in Sydney (Australia) but that is about all :(

I am SO jealous of you guys in the USA as polishing/buffing pads for random orbit machines are virtually non-existent here in Australia :mad:

Also the choice in polishing products is poor, no great variety.

Do any other Australians read this forum?

Do you know of any good detailing supplies places here in Sydney or Australia?

Jngrbrdman
12-27-2002, 11:56 AM
There are actually several Austrailians on this site. There was a thread about it not too long ago. Search under "Austrailia" or something and I`m sure it will come up.

The velcro on the back of the pad is about the same diameter as the pad itself. It pretty much covers the entire back of the pad. They can be used very well with the 6 inch backing plate. I use a 5 inch backing plate myself. I find that it gives me more functionality with the pad. There is less chance of me nicking my car with the edge of the plate too. I think its just personal preference. You could use either one.

Sci-Fi
12-27-2002, 03:06 PM
The velcro size on the Meguiar`s 8" buffing pad is 6 3/8". I agree with Jngrbrdman about additional functionality plus like the extra 7/8" cushion between the edge of the pad and the velcro/backing plate vs 3/8" for the 6" buffing pads. But my experience is only with the 8" finishing pads.