PDA

View Full Version : PC vs hand application

russeus
12-26-2002, 01:44 PM
Which statement is more accurate - a PC produces better results than hand application, or a PC produces results more quickly & easily than hand application?

The most successful & best-known of the hand-application crowd is probably Scottwax, who has a thriving business & tons of photos to prove his prowess of hand-detailing vehicles. I may be wrong, but I thought I read that all of Scott`s work is done without the benefit of a PC. Yet, his work is as impressive as any on this site. :up

W/ all the great testimonials of the PCs, I`ve always wondered whether stunning results - not just shine, but scratch & swirl removal, etc, can be achieved by hand. I know it`s not possible to quantify w/ any accuracy, but how much more effective is a PC is at surface prep as compared to hand application - 50% more effective, 25%?

Jngrbrdman
12-26-2002, 01:58 PM
With a wax or a sealant you will only save time when doing it with a machine. When you are dealing with swirl removal or paint cleaning then there is a huge difference in results when done by machine. The human body can only repeat a motion for so long before it starts to show damage. Remember, when you are removing swirls you are actually cutting down the clear coat. Look at it this way; if you wanted to refinish a desk then you would have to sand it down first, right? Which would be eaiser and produce better results: Doing it by hand or with a sander? This is a similar principle with a PC and by hand. Sometimes it just saves time (which in the detailing business is money) and sometimes it saves you phisically while doing a better job at the same time. It really just depends on what you are tryng to do. If you are just waxing then I`d say that you`d be fine doing it by hand. Everything else is greatly benifeted with a machine.

imported_memnuts
12-26-2002, 02:16 PM
I concur with previous post. If your swirls and surface marring is very deep and wide spread your best bet might be to have the finish restored by a professional with a rotary. From that point on if you use proper technique ( read e-book) for washing and QD`ing hand polishing should be sufficient. I am a hand application detailing hobbist but use the PC once a year to strip and remove any surface marring. I finish off with a hand applied glaze (p21S gloss enhancing paint cleaner (GEPC) (previously used 3M IHG), sealant protectant (Blackfire) and carnuaba (P21S) topper. The yearly stripping and deeper marring repair is made quite a bit easier with the PC but it still takes me a week of evenings to complete the job.:xyxthumbs :wavey

russeus
12-26-2002, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I recently purchased a black `98 Audi A4 that was well-maintained (not Autopian-maintained, just well-maintained), though it does have its share of mild scratches & swirl marks.

I think I`ll see how successful I am at eliminating these defects by hand this spring. If I find I`m spinning my wheels & making negligible progress, I`ll have to make the PC investment.

Either way, it`ll be a good time. :)

porterdog
12-27-2002, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

if you wanted to refinish a desk then you would have to sand it down first, right? Which would be eaiser and produce better results: Doing it by hand or with a sander?

The finest furniture features `hand-rubbed` finishes. That said, the hands doing the rubbing are _professional_ hands. In my case at least, I do _waaaay_ better with the PC.

Robert

lmetten
12-27-2002, 08:15 AM
i would have to say with any paste wax is good by hand and liquid is best with pc

F 355
12-27-2002, 08:23 AM
BlkZ28Conv -

I’m about to do ditto - except I was going to do BF polish right after GEPC…

Do you think that would be redundant? My thoughts are the BF Sealant might adhere better.

What do you think:nixweiss

imported_memnuts
12-27-2002, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by F 355

BlkZ28Conv -

I’m about to do ditto - except I was going to do BF polish right after GEPC…

Do you think that would be redundant? My thoughts are the BF Sealant might adhere better.

What do you think:nixweiss

Hi F355,

Rather than potentially hijacking the thread please to go

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&threadid=17403

There I will state my reasoning for my procedure and open this up for discussion.:wavey