PDA

View Full Version : WD40 under wheel wells?

imported_rcomito
12-25-2002, 06:14 PM
I heard that spraying WD40 under your wheel wells will help prevent dirt and grim from sticking, and make them easyer to wash.

Is this true?

BoxsterCharlie
12-25-2002, 07:58 PM
I don`t know about WD-40, but I have successfully used (believe it or not) Lemon Pledge furniture polish for this task.

The official product is made by Griot`s, I think it is called Undercarriage Spray. But I haven`t had any experience with it.

Richt
12-25-2002, 08:00 PM
Dirt will just stick to the resdidue left from the wd 40

shaf
12-25-2002, 08:41 PM
I have heard people also use spray on tire foam with good sucess.

Tac, a lot of your other threads shouldn`t be made in the Articles section, but in Autopia University instead. Also please don`t double post. Thanks. :cool:

Redcar GUY
12-25-2002, 08:45 PM
My best advice would be to take off the wheels and get them as clean as you can then try to keep them as clean as you can with each wash and to use a water based dressing on them ….

Tim Lingor
12-26-2002, 12:35 AM
WD-40 in the wheel wells is not a good idea. Although, you might be as careful as possible, you might accidently contaminate your brake pads. Once on, you can not simply clean the pads. You will end up with chattering or squeling brakes. That means new pads and new/turned rotors! Not Cheap.

Tire foam is a little better than WD-40, but you still must use extreme caution!!! Be careful what you put inside the wheel wells!

Richt
12-26-2002, 06:23 AM
If you really want to put something on them, use autoglym bumper care, not the spray one though called bumper black. Apply it with a small sponge and rub it in well. I only dress my arches for concourse comps i just clean them with car soap and water normally

Bobby G
12-26-2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Tac Fitzgerlad

I heard that spraying WD40 under your wheel wells will help prevent dirt and grim from sticking, and make them easyer to wash.

Is this true?

E-gads! No, no, no never a penetrating product like WD-40. Use a cheap cleaner/protectant in harsh winter areas (like Eimann Fabrik Black Opal) or a product like Meguiar`s Engine Kote (my personal recommendation) if you regularly maintain your wheel wells.

db

Brad B
12-26-2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by BoxsterCharlie

The official product is made by Griot`s, I think it is called Undercarriage Spray. But I haven`t had any experience with it.

This is a good product that miraculously hides dirt and turns the wheel wells and areas hard to reach deep in the engine compartment, for instance, down by the frame, etc. It turns the areas a nice even tone without having to touch them. It`s a great product used often in Concours events.

Another good wheel well disguise product is Stoners Trim Shine. It does the same sort of thing but works more specifically on black plastic surfaces and rubber. Use it on the wheel wells and on the little hard to clean items like hoses, clips and connectors in the engine that catch so much dirt.

thevolvoguy
12-26-2002, 10:14 PM
If I need a quick fix (for myself), I will use a clear tire spray. It really does a great job of masking light dirt, and making the wheel wells shine.

If I need to do a quality job (for a customer), then I always clean with soap and water, using a tire brush to scrub. Then once it dries, apply a dressing to all the rubber, plastic and black metal pieces that are visible.