PDA

View Full Version : Safe snow removal

Pages : [1] 2

Taxlady
12-24-2002, 06:26 AM
I finally got around to making a sock for my snow brush. I used an MF towel to make it. Now I just have to get some snow on the car. ;)

This was measuring:

Taxlady
12-24-2002, 06:27 AM
And here`s what it looks like finished. It has an elastic so it won`t fall off.

Lowejackson
12-24-2002, 09:25 AM
Excellent stuff :xyxthumbs

Steven

imported_memnuts
12-24-2002, 09:38 AM
Make sure that the freezing of the microfiber towel does not create an abrasive pad? A good plush cotton towel may react better to the freezing created abrasiveness of your snow remover? A hot bucket of water may solve this problem ( periodic dunking).:nixweiss

Thank goodness for garages and temperate climates. :bow

NattyBumppo
12-24-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

Make sure that the freezing of the microfiber towel does not create an abrasive pad? A good plush cotton towel may react better to the freezing created abrasiveness of your snow remover? A hot bucket of water may solve this problem ( periodic dunking).:nixweiss

That is why I`ve just resigned myself to only clear the very top layers and not even get close to the paint. I just leave it there until I can get to the pressure wash and blast it off.

imported_memnuts
12-24-2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by NattyBumppo

That is why I`ve just resigned myself to only clear the very top layers and not even get close to the paint. I just leave it there until I can get to the pressure wash and blast it off.

Excellent and safe method of attack.:xyxthumbs

jcattarulla
12-24-2002, 10:29 AM
Nice work Linda!

Will I see these on ebay motors anytime soon? "The Taxlady`s snow- removal sock in GENUINE MicroFibre!

(Hey, I`d buy one- I can`t sew!).

John:D

shaf
12-24-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by jcattarulla

Nice work Linda!

Will I see these on ebay motors anytime soon? "The Taxlady`s snow- removal sock in GENUINE MicroFibre!

John:D And so, rises another cottage industry! :D

I remember a while ago people were suggesting you have a side business making a contraption like this. Let us know how it (the broom) works out. :wavey

Taxlady
12-24-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

Actually, I do have a garage space. This is just for when I`m out and it gets snowed on. So, the bucket of hot water is out. It would splash in the car and wouldn`t stay hot very long. ;)

We`ve had some real snow, but I haven`t needed to brush snow off the car yet.

Taxlady
12-24-2002, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by jcattarulla

Nice work Linda!

John:D

This is an easy sewing project. I sewed it by hand and took pictures of the various stages. I could post instructions with crumby pictures.

imported_memnuts
12-25-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Taxlady

Actually, I do have a garage space. This is just for when I`m out and it gets snowed on. So, the bucket of hot water is out. It would splash in the car and wouldn`t stay hot very long. ;)

We`ve had some real snow, but I haven`t needed to brush snow off the car yet.

LOL:xyxthumbs

Hawkeye_TDI
12-27-2002, 07:23 PM
What scares me is the ice that forms under the snow. Won`t that scratch the finish?

Bruce

Taxlady
12-29-2002, 04:38 AM
I wrote up the instructions for making the sock by hand: How to sew a sock for your snow brush (http://exeat.com/homepage/taxlady/snowsock.htm)

jcattarulla
12-29-2002, 01:34 PM
Linda,

Do the bristles poke through the MF at all?

Taxlady
12-29-2002, 02:06 PM
John, that`s a good question. No, the bristles don`t poke through. But, it was a brand new brush, so none of the bristles are bent. I haven`t had a chancre to use the brush end yet, so I don`t know what happens to it when it does get used. I`ve been trying to think of a way to make something without the bristles underneath.