PDA

View Full Version : how to remove rainspots...?

scromms
12-24-2002, 02:36 AM
Greetings all...first time poster here. I have a black `97 Porsche 993 and the previous owner didn`t do a very good job with the paint. I have bad rainspots and "spider" scratches from gas station car washes :rolleyes: I have used 3M Hand Glaze, but it didn`t touch the rainspots and didn`t help the scratches too much either. Apparently, I`ve got to go a little more aggressive. What would be the next step...like what kinds of product would you use? I guess I could post a picture, since I`m new here...let`s see if I can do it...

imported_memnuts
12-24-2002, 08:48 AM
I think the best place to start would be the Detailing E-book offered here and authored by David B. It is very informative and will instruct you on how to attack your black paint maladies. This could be the best $10 investment towards your car`s paint health and appearance. Black is a bear to care for but with the correct tools, instructions and techniques the car can look its best all the time. All of this information is available in the e-book.:xyxthumbs :wavey

waynejitsu
12-24-2002, 09:10 AM
i looked at the link for the book, clicked on a couple of the pages/links. was each link an introduction to the chapter, or was that the whole chapter?

ex., i clicked on chapter 5- interiof, there was about 1 or 2 pages of info on interior cleaning. was that the whole chapter or just an intro?

what is the difference in "the guide" and "perfect shine"?

mrdetailer
12-24-2002, 01:03 PM
First off, If you don`t have a PC or equivalent, get one. It takes a long time by hand, and the stronger products you must use may mar the surface if used improperly.

For waterspots I`ve found 2 things that do an excellent job. 3M Cleaner Wax, Medium Oxidation remover, and Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner Polish. Be ready to use the products a number of times and be patient. If they are really bad, it will take some time even with machine.

shirtman
12-24-2002, 01:56 PM
Sometimes, water spots have actually etched the paint, and sometimes the deposits ring the spot to make it look even worse than it is. Try a bit of vinegar. Works magis on getting taking care of the mineral deposits. A good polish after will do wonders for reducing the edges of the spots, it not taking care of them completely. The e-book can give you some good tips.

Owning a black car is a blessing and a curse. They seem to get dirty by the time I get to the end of the driveway, but when clean... there is nothing like it.

Good luck. :up

Jeff

scromms
12-24-2002, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the responses. I used to have a PC orbital polisher and sold it before even using it once . I don`t have guts to use it on my car. I have heard how easy and great they are, and I really believe they are, but I would rather to do it by hand...even if it takes 10 times longer, literally...I really don`t mind. Anyway, I have heard a lot of good things about the 3M Swirl Mark Remover (SMR). Is the 3M Cleaner wax more or less abrassive than the 3M SMR? I don`t think vinegar is gonna touch these spots, I think if 3M Hand Glaze didn`t touch it, the vinegar won`t either.

shaf
12-24-2002, 09:22 PM
If your car is black, and you`re doing it by hand, and you call the waterspots "bad", I`d move up to the 3M cleaner wax mrdetailer mentioned. A friend of mine has "bad" waterspotting on his black `99 car and hand-SMRing does (did) almost zilch to them. Swirl removers are on the very mild end of the abrasive spectrum and things like your hand glaze are practically non-abrasive. The 3M Medium Oxidation cleaner wax is more abrasive than SMR.

This spring I`m going to hit my friend`s car with the PC and DACP.

scromms
12-24-2002, 10:07 PM
I think what I`m going to do is to start out with the 3M SMR, see how it works, and then go to the 3M Cleaner wax if necessary. I also have those "spider" scratches that I need to get rid of...they are a result of previous owner using gas station car washes. I gotta say...what kind of an idiot takes a brand new black 911 and goes through a gas station car wash! :nixweiss My wife says I didn`t buy my car from him...rather I "rescued" the car from him. :D

stuart hicks
12-24-2002, 11:14 PM
Just want to throw another idea your way. If you have acid rain spots you can`t do much by hand. 3m compounds and swirl removers are really made to be used with a rotory unless they have the word hand in the name (ie; imperial hand glaze).

They need a lot of heat to break down the polishes in the products.

I realize you can use them by hand or with a PC and get some ok results, I`ve done it myself.

But to get the paint in as good a condition as it can be might require a pro detailier and a high speed rotory.

Once it is in good shape follow with your own TLC and the great products talked about here on Autopia.

Just something to consider.

Good Luck!!!

shirtman
12-25-2002, 11:36 AM
I would second Stuart`s note. Perhaps a pro might be the ticket, and then you can continue the battle after they have taken care of the worst. Black will never be completely swirl free for long.... micromaring occurs just looking at it I think... and certainly every time you wash no matter what you use, or how carefully it is used. I would suggest you getting a PC just to do a touch up every once in a while...there is no substitute and most polishing cannot be done by hand ...unless you are Scottwax the robot ..:bow I woudl not consider going back now that I have the PC. It really is very safe to use.

Just some things to consider. Good luck, whatever you do.

Jeff