PDA

View Full Version : New to Autopia - please assist

goixiz
12-23-2002, 09:14 PM
Hello

Im new to this board but i am amazed by how much detailing can be done - before this all i thought was is a wax

After reading some posts i mentioned to my GF about detailing my new 300zx (new to me 1993) This car has a few minor dings and one or two chips in the front other than that no blemishes that i can see. She got me a p21s detailing kit for xmas (ok i peeked thru the wrapper)

Can anyone please recommend what else i need (within reasonable $) And how do i go by applying and finishing this new toy of mine. The car is almost 10 yrs old with a glossy wet look (not sure what wax is on)

here is a pic (please no laughing) and my 240sx has not been waxed for over a year and i need to get it back when i put a new SR20DET engine in it in Feb.

www.geocities.com/goixiz/300zx.jpg

I do not neglect the cars but my main love was bikes my bikes are spotless and there is only so many hours a day

www.geocities.com/goixiz/mytoys.html

Steve @ Guru
12-23-2002, 09:45 PM
Two suggestions:

1) Buy the "ebook" from David, available at: www.autopia-carcare.com

2) Take a few minutes to do some research here. There`s a wealth of great information in the archives, and in the detailing and autopia university sections.

It would be nearly impossible to answer a question like the one you asked - it would be like me asking, "Could someone tell me what pizza topping would taste best on my pizza?" Too many options and variables to give an "easy" answer. :)

Welcome to autopia, take a few minutes to browse around and be sure to get the ebook. It alone should answer about 95% of your questions.

goixiz
12-23-2002, 10:06 PM
some of us (me) is not a car care fanatic like most here.

If it looks like a pizza and taste like one im fine with just cheese and pepperoni.

So cant i get a few hints or tips or where to look instead of reading a manual. Ive not even opened the manual of my car. Just wan to get started without having to make too many mistakes.

thanks in advance

Redcar GUY
12-23-2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by goixiz

So cant i get a few hints or tips or where to look instead of reading a manual. Ive not even opened the manual of my car. Just wan to get started without having to make too many mistakes.

thanks in advance

Ya you can, just do some searches, We are her to help. But in the same way it is just better/faster/easier/smarter to do a search and or get the ebook. There is enough info here to keep you reading for years. Welcome to the forum and happy searching:xyxthumbs

Nagchampa
12-23-2002, 10:59 PM
Welcome to Autopia! Trying to detail your car without reading up on which products are going to work for you could be your first mistake. The first chapters of the e-book are free its not going to kill you to do a little research. You will be amazed how much you can learn in a few weeks here. Don`t think that everybody is coming down hard on you, its just that this kind of question comes up every few days and there is no perfect answer for your case.

Knight
12-23-2002, 11:14 PM
I got your game right here buddy.

You got the wax p21s fine choice your GF made.

ok since you seem to want a quick good answer I will try to give you what you want.

you got the wax

ok let me think how to do this ... alright here get these things

car wash soap ( does not really matter that much )

clay bar ( try checker auto )* mothers clay bar kit

get some FOAM app pads meguiars sell some at checker or one of those type of places. pep boys etc.

some terry cloth towels ( you got some in house )

wash car with sponge or mitt

use the quick detailer with the clay bar. read the back of the package pretty good instructions.

dry car and then wax that bad boy. I think you will be pleased until you want to know how to get rid of swirls and such than it is gonna get a lil pricy.

So

1. wash

2. dry car

3. use QD and clay

4. buff the residue from the QD and clay with terry towel any spots on car that left behind

5. wax with foam app pads and buff off with terry towel after haze

OR

1. wash

2. dont dry

3.slop some FRESH car wash soap on section your going to clay

4.Clay (using the wash soap instead of the QD)

5. rinse and dry terry towel

6.wax with foam app pads and buff off with terry towel after haze

Hope this is a starting point since this is your first time taking interest in this work.

:up

jimmybuffit
12-23-2002, 11:14 PM
Here, I`ll help:

A-B-C

Clay

PC Buff with SMR

AIO w/ PC

SG Thin!

Wipe with MF

Wait 4 hours

SG Thin!

Wipe with MF

Wait 4 hours

S100

Smile!

Good Luck!

Jim

Knight
12-23-2002, 11:17 PM
huh?

I did not understand that. lol

are you referring to the ABC process by autoin?

not sure if using an acid is good idea. owners manual says no no...

Good steps though of what I understand wax on wax off ahhh

imported_BretFraz
12-24-2002, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Knight

huh?

I did not understand that. lol

are you referring to the ABC process by autoin?

not sure if using an acid is good idea. owners manual says no no...

Good steps though of what I understand wax on wax off ahhh

Those that spend time reading and learning here at Autopia quickly learn what Jim was talking about. It ain`t Greek to us.

Remember the old saying, "Give a man a pizza and he`ll eat for a day. Teach him how to order a pizza and he`ll eat for a lifetime". Words to live by, friends.

imported_Adamah
12-24-2002, 12:10 AM
Nice stable of bikes ya got there. That Merlin of yours must ride like a demon. Cant beat the feeling of Ti.

shaf
12-24-2002, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by bretfraz

Those that spend time reading and learning here at Autopia quickly learn what Jim was talking about. It ain`t Greek to us.

Remember the old saying, "Give a man a pizza and he`ll eat for a day. Teach him how to order a pizza and he`ll eat for a lifetime". Words to live by, friends. Exactly! :xyxthumbs

While both Knight and Jim helpfully offer some steps you could take, it`s very difficult to say exactly what you should do. The reason for this is that each person will want a different detailing process depending on their car`s condition and personal preferences and tastes. There is no one "magic recipe" or "best routine" for detailing.

Consider:

1) How much work do you want to put in?

2) How much money do you want to spend?

3) What kind and how much prep work does your car need to acheive the desired result?

There are many other fine, subtle considerations too that help determine how to proceed and what products you`ll want to try. Experienced gurus like Redcar Guy and Geekysteve (who really is a "Guru" ;)) are fully capable of laying out everything for you in painful detail, but they simply can`t. They don`t know your car, and they don`t know you.

Try out the eBook - it gives you an idea of how to proceed, as well as search around the Archives (maybe try including words such as "newbie", "novice" or "new" in your search). What you can do is pay attention to individual steps and what they accomplish. Then figure out if you need them. Conversely you can work the other way around if you know what problems you`d like to correct (if any) and search for them. The tricky part after that is figuring out what products to use - there`s a lot of them, and picking one can be personal preference too. :)

Detailing is a very personal thing, and you can make it as simple or complex as you`d like it to be.... just like pizza. :cool: