PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar`s vs 3m products

ryeh2o
12-22-2002, 10:43 AM
I was talking to a friend who runs an auto parts company. He is not into detailing but Carry`s both Maguiars and 3m product lines. Both company books say their products are the best in the business.

After doing many searches and comparing different threads, i`m stuck trying to decide between them.

I`m going to need:

-velcro backing plate and pads for my pc 7424.

-clay

-swirl remover

-polish

I`m planning on getting some s100 from a harley dealer. I would also like to get some klasse for the protection.

Any advice on which products to get, ( these two company`s) would be greatly appreciated!

I have a dark green 98 accord, with tons of swirl marks, that i have Zaino on now but i am looking to change because you can`t put topper wax on (s100).

imported_BretFraz
12-22-2002, 11:04 AM
Both brands make excellent products so it really doesn`t matter which one you buy.

It`s more important to use the proper product for the job. A Meguiar`s product may be best for one job or a 3M product for another.

Both brands offer such a large product line it is very difficult to decide which specfic product is best. Considering both brands as you are doing will lead to an aneurysm.

If I could recommend two products, buy Meguiar`s #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish and Meguiar`s #9 Swirl Mark Remover. Both will work well with the PC and are well-known to Autopians.

ryeh2o
12-22-2002, 11:26 AM
Thanks bretfraz for commenting. Is the 3m perfect III cleaner clay any good? I have read the Meguiar`s overspray clay scratches when used.

Also, which are the better pads ( which pad do i use? ) and are they both interchangeable with the meguiar`s velcro backing plate?

PakShak
12-22-2002, 12:22 PM
Hi ryeh20,

Please find below a post from another Autopian that I think will help you decide on what pads to use with what product. However, always use the least aggressive product and pad first.

In terms of clay, I like two manufacturer. One is Clay Magic and the other is Pro Wax. They have fine clay made for darker colored vehicles.

Meguiar`s has a set of 3 Polishing Pads: Velcro backing for easy switching:

2 polishing pads, 1 finishing pad

WDAV99-B (3 pads) $24.95

The pads are 6.5" but you will need to get the velcro back-up plate for your PC. Meguiars product #W64DA. You should give Meguiars a call and order it with the 3 Polishing Pads. Also, you might want to pick-up a cutting pad and maybe a couple of their micro fiber bonnets with your order. You never know, you might have a friend or family member who would want you to detail their car.

http://www.meguiars.com/product_showroom/showproducts_template.cfm?SrcLine=PT&SrcCat=0

The pads are 6.5" but you will need to get the velcro backing plate for your PC.

You can also purchase the DM-KIT from Classic Motoring Accessories.

"Our DM-KIT includes:

One 6 inch Velcro Back-up Plate

One 6 inch Lambswool Compounding Pad for leveling very rough surfaces (the Lambswool pad is also used as a cushion under the

terry bonnets)

One Yellow Cutting Pad for leveling and restoring older, oxidized finishes

Two white polishing pads to maximize gloss.

One gray finishing pad for producing an ultra high gloss with your favorite liquid wax or protectant.

Two 6 inch terry bonnets for buffing."

http://www.properautocare.com/porcabackit.html

"Listed from most agressive to least aggressive

Meguiar`s #2 Fine Cut Cleaner with Wool pad

3M Finesse It-II with Wool pad

Meguiar`s DACP with Wool pad

Meguiar`s #2 Fine Cut Cleaner with Yellow pad

3M Finesse It-II with Yellow pad

Meguiar`s DACP with Yellow pad

Meguiar`s #2 FCC with Orange pad

3M Finesse It-II with Orange pad

Meguiar`s DACP with Orange pad

3M SMR with Yellow pad

Meguiar`s #9 v2.0 with Yellow pad

3M SMR with White pad

Meguiar`s #9 v2.0 with White pad

3M SMR with Orange pad

Meguiar`s #9 v2.0 with Orange pad

==================================

If it were my car, I`d start with the SMR/orange and if that didn`t cut it, I`d try the DACP/yellow. If that didn`t cut it, I`d try FI-II/wool...

Always want to use the least agressive products as possible as to conserve as much clear/paint as possible. Remember, after you go "rough" you have to work your way backwards....

In other words, if I started with DACP/wool, I`d then do SMR/yellow and then Meguiar`s Swirl Free Polish or #7 or P21S GEPC w/white pad."

I hope this helps.

With Aloha,

~Ranney

:)

shaf
12-22-2002, 02:09 PM
Unless you order some Lake Country-style pads (ie, CMA) from the US, you`ll probably end up using Meguiar`s pads. 3M makes them too, but almost all of them are 8" big or bigger (they designed them for rotaries).

Mothers also makes a very good clay. I haven`t heard of the Megs clay scratching, but I heard it is too mushy and streaky. I don`t think very many people have tried the 3M clay... it might take some serious searching to find a user.

For the most part, the products people tend to talk about the most is:

3M

SMR (light/dark)

IHG

FCRC

FI-2 (Finesse-it 2 Finishing Material)

Med. Oxidation remover wax

Meguiar`s

#9 (or BSP equiv. Swirl Free)

#7 (or BSP equiv. Hand Polish)

#2 (fine cut)

DACP

various waxes and retail-line products

Try searching for some of these (particularly the easier to search 3M products) and inevitably you`ll find some comparisons between that and the Meguiar`s equivalent. Any differences can be subtle. Some products are unique though, like FI-2 and DACP.

Rowani
12-22-2002, 02:21 PM
Ranney,

Thanks for taking the time to list your choice of products from most to least aggressive. I`m still trying to get the big picture and it helped clarify a few points :D

One question for you. You said that you would first try SMR/orange and if that didn`t work change to DACP/yellow. Why not change to SMR/yellow (not enough of a jump up?) or DACP/orange. Thanks for the help.

Rick

ryeh2o
12-22-2002, 04:23 PM
Thanks Ranney for the great breakdown of pad - product combo`s.

The colour of the Meguiar`s seam to be:

purple-w7006 6.5in foam cutting

yellow-w8006 6.5in foam polishing

beige -w9006 6.5in foam finishing

Do these coincide with your colour examples?

Thanks 4DSC for your input, i would like to stick to meg. or 3m pads unless they are really inferior.

I`ll keep looking for information on the 3m clay, otherwise i`ll get the mother`s clay.

imported_Aurora40
12-22-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by ryeh2o

I have read the Meguiar`s overspray clay scratches when used.

Could I ask where you heard that? I am planning on giving it a try since their pro stuff is usually better than the consumer stuff. 4DSC, I think you are thinking of the consumer Meg`s clay (Quik Clay?) which is sort of mushy and streaky. The Overspray Clay is part of the Body Shop Pro line, so I figured it might be pretty good. So I`d certainly be interested in any info you had about it not being good (being scratchy).

Also, I just tried some Mother`s clay, and it was great. Plus it comes with some Showtime QD. I would recommend it!

shaf
12-22-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Aurora40

4DSC, I think you are thinking of the consumer Meg`s clay (Quik Clay?) which is sort of mushy and streaky. The Overspray Clay is part of the Body Shop Pro line, so I figured it might be pretty good. I know, and this is usually true, but I seem to remember reading in a thread that someone said it was comparable to their consumer clay, except you get 2 bars in a jar. I remember being disappointed because I was hoping it would be good too.

If I can dig up the thread I`ll edit it into this post. :up

EDIT: Here are a bunch of threads with opinions from respected members. Seems like it is different, but still imperfect.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14902&highlight=meguiars+overspray+clay

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9325&highlight=meguiars+overspray+clay

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8417&highlight=meguiars+overspray+clay

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8875&highlight=meguiars+overspray+clay

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10371&highlight=meguiars+overspray+clay

CharlesW
12-22-2002, 06:17 PM
Aurora40:

My Professional line catalog is on loan right now, so I am having to rely on my memory. Uh oh.

Anyway, I`m pretty sure Meguiar`s makes several different clay products with some different characteristics for each. Different levels of abrasiveness for instance. You might want to check with your supplier.

Or just use Mother`s.;)

Charles

Knight
12-22-2002, 09:23 PM
I was in the same situation about a week ago.

I ended up as you can see from my recent posts with 3M, for the buffing and such. I plan on using some meguiars products for interior and lexol.

What caught my eye and final glance was how professional 3m in general is. The waffle pads from 3M also caught my eye. I just believe they are a bit more professional than the meguiars pads and polishes.

:up

imported_Aurora40
12-22-2002, 09:27 PM
4DSC, thanks for the links. I didn`t really check on the BSP clay here. Guess I should have. I think I might be getting it as a gift. I just hope it doesn`t smell like the Quik Clay because the smell of that stuff makes me queasy for some reason.

CharlesW, the Overspray Clay is only one grade. It`s the detailing line of clay that has two grades (mild and aggressive, neither of which are that white color). The description for Overspray Clay goes like this:

Uniquely formulated surface preparation clay

Quickly removes overspray, tree sap mist and other airborne pollutants

Safe and effective on all types of paint

In general I tend to take comments like "it scratched my car" with a grain of salt. Just about any product has someone who claims it scratched. I guess the Overspray bars are the same size as the Quik Clay, but you get two of them (each is 3.5 oz/ 100g) and no lube for twice as much. Thanks for the info, and sorry to steal away from the topic. :o

ryeh2o
12-23-2002, 05:56 AM
This is an incredible post about pads, backing plates, and their uses created by 4DSC. Near the end of your thread, geekysteve replied with a great " how to " once you have all your supplies.

Hats off to the both of you!:bow

You`ve answered my questions about pads and product all in one place.

Thanks for all the leg work, it is greatly appreciated!!

ryeh2o