PDA

View Full Version : Concourse Detailing

F 355
12-21-2002, 09:19 AM
Ever wonder about the way guys prep their cars for national events like Pebble Beach ?

I belong to a few Ferrari sites and came across this a while ago. The author is very well respected in the F -car community.

Takes about 5 minutes to read…thought it would be worth sharing…

http://www.fca-se.org/concours.htm

imported_BretFraz
12-21-2002, 09:51 AM
Pretty good info for the novice show entrant. Most of this is familiar ground to Autopians.

Do you know how old these articles are?

F 355
12-21-2002, 10:22 AM
Not all that old...I actually spoke to the author and that is what motivatedd me to try Z and BF.

I thought this was an old article because of the cotton towels to dry....I like big blue...

But he, like Sal at Zanio, swear by the cotton...

Sci-Fi
12-21-2002, 12:42 PM
The author appears to favor Finish First (http://www.finishfirstpolish.com/) . Looks like an interesting product. Wonder what the durability is really like? Only one picture in their gallery:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid33/pdcaf277b171f59ed01a6012a05011dd5/fd3d23fe.jpg

imported_BretFraz
12-21-2002, 02:23 PM
Sci Fi,

Do a Search for Finish First. You will find many threads discussing it.

I used it for a few years with pretty good results. There have been others here who have used it and posted comments. After reading them you`ll get the idea of what its like.

Sci-Fi
12-21-2002, 03:00 PM
Actually I did do a search for Finish First and 131 pages showed up. Pretty hard to go thru all those pages with the majority of the posts highlighting either "finish" or "first", not the actual product.

Detailing NY
12-21-2002, 03:54 PM
Is that the car they posted. I must say thought that scottwax has done a better job on the same car.

I will try to find the post on that one.

Detailing NY
12-21-2002, 03:58 PM
I found the car scottwax did. In my pro opinion, you can not compare the two cars.

Not going against anyone, just my thoughts....

imported_doug
12-21-2002, 04:36 PM
Frankly, i haven`t read very far but I`ve already found what I consider to be BAD advice.

On the "washing" page he says
Start at the rear underbody. Remember that on your Ferrari there`s quite a bit below the bumper and license plate that shows at road level to the guy behind you, even it it`s not very noticeable when you`re standing. Then do the side underbody, the wheel wells, and the wheels and tires.

Now, he does say to switch mitts before doing the rest of the car, but he doesn`t suggest using a different bucket. I am not a two-bucket guy, but there`s no way I`m going to dip a mit I`m about to rub on my hood, trunk or fenders into a bucket that now has all the grit from the underside of my car!

Also - he recommends sheeting followed by terry for drying - I think that os good, but I think sheeting followed by BLOTTING only with terry and then final wipe with MF is even safer.

F 355
12-21-2002, 05:48 PM
Actually he says

"You should have a couple of clean buckets, two"...I guess it`s assumed one for each.

Like anything else take what works for you and pass on the rest.

It helped me with some things....I always applied polish / wax in a back & forrth motion not to swirl. But I never thought about it when washing the car...I use to just run the soap around in a random pattern without thinking about it.

He said (When we spoke) Z is great but he prefers Fast Finish just because he has been using it a long time...says the look is the same.

Also - He turned me on to new wax that I will be testing soon. Actually it`s an aircraft wax that was tested by the US Air force. It`s a synthetic poly that also has monomiers added...we`ll see.

imported_Intel486
12-21-2002, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by NY detailer

I found the car scottwax did. In my pro opinion, you can not compare the two cars.

Don`t get me started on comparing pictures :D

Most of that info a autopian should already know. Some of his stuff I don`t agree with and most of that stuff can be learned and is taught better in the ebook. And even more of the info I would have sworn I had already read before... Ohh yhea, it was probably in Ultimate Auto Detailing. He is basically reguritating that book in his own words; like the part about using black towel instead of white ones so hotels won`t think he is using their towels.

imported_Greg
12-22-2002, 12:59 AM

That is amazing, mad props to scottwax! :xyxthumbs

rstype
12-22-2002, 02:23 AM
It`s a pretty good reference. I like how they grouped all the information into smaller sections. But as Bret said, our forum pretty much covers the same info...

Yea, you can`t compare the two cars. It`s not fair. The one Scottwax did was a dark Eternal Blue Pearl TL. The one the other Autopian did was a light Aegean Blue Pearl TL Type-S. And we all know how much better a dark car can look...

Scott does an awesome job with his detailing and camera though!

shaf
12-22-2002, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by BW

Scott does an awesome job with his detailing and camera though! Awesome detailing + Awesome camera work = Personality Cult :D