PDA

View Full Version : Effectiveness of PC removing swirl marks?

imported_tguil
12-19-2002, 01:03 PM
I deciding whether to get a PC or not. I read earlier posts and some said that PC is not really effective in removing swirls. A rotary buffer is recommended but i do not have any experience in mechanical buffers. I`m not ready to spend money on a PC if it only saves me time. Replies will be greatly appreciated. :)

Jngrbrdman
12-19-2002, 01:18 PM
For every post you read that says PCs don`t remove swirls I`d bet that you`ll find 500 posts saying exactly the opposite. Its true that using the white pad soaked in water on setting 1 won`t do much for your swirls (:rolleyes:) but with the right pads and compounds you will see very impressive results.

I`ve been using a PC for a couple years now and I`m just getting to the point where I feel comfortable enough with my skills to graduate to a rotary. I wouldn`t suggest getting a rotary if its your first machine. I would suggest you get a PC 7424 though. It is pretty idiot proof and easy to use. Not to mention that its going to get your swirls out.

imported_tguil
12-19-2002, 01:31 PM
:up :D

mzgloves20
12-20-2002, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

For every post you read that says PCs don`t remove swirls I`d bet that you`ll find 500 posts saying exactly the opposite. Its true that using the white pad soaked in water on setting 1 won`t do much for your swirls (:rolleyes:) but with the right pads and compounds you will see very impressive results.

I`ve been using a PC for a couple years now and I`m just getting to the point where I feel comfortable enough with my skills to graduate to a rotary. I wouldn`t suggest getting a rotary if its your first machine. I would suggest you get a PC 7424 though. It is pretty idiot proof and easy to use. Not to mention that its going to get your swirls out.

Listen to the man with the 1,000,000 dollar grin!! I did and I`m glad!!!:bow

chevyguy28
12-20-2002, 12:53 AM
It really depends on the severity of the surface defect you are trying to treat, but no doubt, a rotary is superior (in skilled hands) when it comes to heavy polishing. We tend to discourage rotary use. I`ve seen some NASTY swirls removed with a PC though, so I would not be deterred from purchasing one. The learning curve is not incredibly high, and with practice, your results simply improve. Even for a novice, it is very safe.

Jngrbrdman,

I think you have been capable of using a rotary for a while now, but I can see your apprehension. From talking to a few friends, we here at autopia really discourage use of rotaries a little too much. We have good reason to, because the PC will yield excellent results for the novice. However, I think you are ready to jump off the deed end! These same friends, after switching to rotary power, get better results in less time. I myself am content with the PC...

shaf
12-20-2002, 02:30 AM
Justin makes a great point. Some finishes are so poor that it will take either a very aggressive stab with a PC, or require a rotary. I bet most people (especially non-pro detailers) would get by just fine with the PC. It`s the classic double-edged sword nature of the PC vs. rotary debate. While a rotary has the power to do great good, it also has the power to do great... umm... evil? :p A PC will save you time, true, but don`t forget it also saves you a lot of sweat.

I have (so far) found the only things to learn about actually handling the PC is to get used to holding it, and to hold it properly so that the pad lays flat. Other than that, it truly is quite safe as I`ve found it very hard to get it to warm up the paint at all.

Hawkeye_TDI
12-20-2002, 04:04 AM
about a month ago I had my dealer wash the car after I had recently detailed it. There were heavy swirls everywhere. Prior to this I had never used the PC, so I qualify as a true rookie. With a lot of help from you guys and some experimenting I was able to remove almost all the swirls.

That said I`d agree a pc is idiot proof and can yeild fantastic results.:bow

Green Monster
12-20-2002, 07:50 AM
I purchase a PC earlier this year and which was the first time I ever used one. I do not know what I would do without it now.

As for the swirls the PC will surprise you on what you can get out.

I have had great results with a yellow pad and Meguiar`s DACP.

You will never achive the finish you get with a PC by hand. So I would say that the PC is not just a time saver but but a way to achive the best finish as possible by a rookie detailer.

I have done about 40 cars or so this year and I am starting to build my confindence for the next level of detailing the rotary polishing.

The PC is very easy to learn and use I don`t think you would be dissapointed. I hope this help alittle. :nixweiss

Maybe Santa will bring you one!!!!!

atldave
12-31-2002, 01:49 PM
I just got a PC for Christmas and it did a great job of getting the swirls and spiderwebs out of my black paint.

It is the best investment I have ever made on any car care product.

I clayed, then used Mequiars #9 Swirl Remover, then polished and waxed.

Fallz
01-04-2003, 12:56 AM
I have been into detailing along time,but never on this level. I alway`s used the Sear`s type orbital wuth the terry cloth bonnett`s. I recently stepped up to a PC and to be honest the first time I used it I was going to go back to the Sear`s type but when I really got into it on the 2nd,3rd & 4 th car I would never go back. I just did my wife`s baack Camry with ton`s of swirl`s I used a polishing pad with #9 & followed by a coat of Meg`s Gold Class as an experiment. 95% of the swirl`s are gone and I could have done better with a diff. pad & maybe some DACP.

I say it`s great & does a great job.:xyxthumbs

goixiz
01-04-2003, 04:32 PM
I plan on getting my own PC and like to know what attachments and pads i need to do from start to finish

Please direct me to a site or link that describes the pads

which pad for what purpose using specific compounds/wax

And what speed would help greatly

PakShak
01-04-2003, 04:45 PM
Hello goixiz,

You will find a really great write-up by fellow Autopian 4DSC about where to buy a PC, the differences between PC models, where to buy pads, etc about five posts above your post. Check under 4DSC`s post for a link to "The Definitive PC Accessorizing Thread"

You can also check out Classic Motoring Accessories website as another source to get information on how to use what pads and what speeds for the PC. Their web address is www.properautocare.com.

Sorry, you are already a contributing member.

I hope that helps.

With Aloha,

~Ranney

jcattarulla
01-04-2003, 04:48 PM
Take yourself to www.coastaltool.com and buy the PC7424. It comes with a bonus kit that includes a hook and loop (velcro) backing plate and a 6" counterweight. Then go to www.properautocare.com and buy some of their concave pads with the velcro backing.

Done.

Use your PC with things like #9, #7, etc.

This topic has been covered ad nauseum and if you do a search you should find all your answers.

Good Luck!