PDA

View Full Version : protecting new bodywork

medic
12-18-2002, 03:34 PM
I got the check from my insurance company for some bumper and right fender damage that happened to my car last week. I was surprised at how fast I got the check, but amazed at how low the payment was considering the estimates I received from the body shop. I`m hoping to get that raised becasue the appraiser missed some damage since he looked at the car when I wasn`t around and it was raining outside.

Anyway, the insurance company says the check they sent is only valid for 90 days so I need to complete the repairs in that amount of time. I wanted to wait until the summer since the car is kept outside and I wanted a better enviornment for the repainted surfaces, but since I can`t do that does anyone have suggestions on how to protect the paint for a few weeks while it cures.

I know I can`t wash or wax the section for a few months, but is there anything else I should do or not do?

shaf
12-18-2002, 04:49 PM
Washing is fine. Please do a search on this topic as it`s been covered a bazillion times and the answers are always the same. ;)

medic
12-18-2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by 4DSC

Washing is fine. Please do a search on this topic as it`s been covered a bazillion times and the answers are always the same. ;)

Thanks. I`d seen the posts saying to wait about 30-90 days depending on what the bodyshop tech reccomends (some said no wax or polish) so that`s not as much of the issue. I`m just concered about having a repainted section of the car getting crud, dew, and all other other fun stuff that comes with winter attacking the paint. I guess I get a warrenty with the paint job so I don`t need to worry if the paint fails, but I just don`t want to have to go without my car for two weeks again. Nobody has really spoken about this - I guess I`ll just rinse the area daily and MF dry. I think the bodyshop has a cure oven so it shouldn`t be as bad as all that.