PDA

View Full Version : First New Car

adifranc
12-18-2002, 01:08 PM
I just bought my first new car. I want to take off the tires so I can apply some of the cleaning techniques I`ve found on this site. I`m not sure what to use to take off the tires. I have a normal pump jack that came with the car but I`m not sure if I should use that or if there is something better to use. Also, I would like to take off all four tires at one time and put them on some sort of stand so I can get underneath the wheelwell for cleaning. What should I use?

imported_Aurora40
12-18-2002, 01:12 PM
I would hazard to say that if you don`t know what is involved with removing the wheels from your car, that perhaps you shouldn`t attempt it by yourself. Maybe if you have a friend or relative who is more mechanically inclined, you can get them to walk you through it. I`m sure the last thing you want to do is damage your nice new car (or yourself) just to have clean wheelwells.

Besides, you should be able to do a pretty good job on the wheelwells with the wheels still on the car. You can try turning the wheel all the way to one side and then the other in order to get better access to the fronts.

Redcar GUY
12-18-2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Aurora40

I would hazard to say that if you don`t know what is involved with removing the wheels from your car, that perhaps you shouldn`t attempt it by yourself. Maybe if you have a friend or relative who is more mechanically inclined, you can get them to walk you through it. I`m sure the last thing you want to do is damage your nice new car (or yourself) just to have clean wheelwells.

Besides, you should be able to do a pretty good job on the wheelwells with the wheels still on the car. You can try turning the wheel all the way to one side and then the other in order to get better access to the fronts.

Couldnt have said it better:xyxthumbs

Detailing NY
12-18-2002, 06:10 PM
You should also be aware that jacking up the car in some cases can deploy the side air bags if you have them in your car.

Just get a long wheel brush and leave the tires on the car.

Its alot easier that way and safer