PDA

View Full Version : Bought a new car!!

Dalton
07-29-2004, 06:47 AM
So I bought a new Honda Pilot for the wife last night.

Told the dealer not to prep it.

Plan on claying, PwC and EX-P.

Question is: Should I clean condition and dress the leather?

kartoon
07-29-2004, 07:47 AM
Hey Dalton, you really like Hondas, don`t you ? Congrats :bigups
I`d say do some light cleaning and apply some conditioner. While new leather looks nice and clean, I really don`t think the manufacturer or the dealer do anything with it.

Dalton
07-29-2004, 08:01 AM
Yeah. I love Hondas. It also doesnt hurt that my friend is the General manager at the local honda dealer. NO ONE gets a Pilot at invoice these days.....except ME!!!!

groebuck
07-29-2004, 09:16 AM
Yes - see if you can find the manufacturing date and that will give you some idea of how long it has been sitting on the lot (should be somewhere on the are usually on the doors or sills) -

Dalton
07-29-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by groebuck
Yes - see if you can find the manufacturing date and that will give you some idea of how long it has been sitting on the lot (should be somewhere on the are usually on the doors or sills) -

After I find the date what do you suggest. What would the date tell me and how would it affect the way I take care of the car

awd330
07-29-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Dalton
After I find the date what do you suggest. What would the date tell me and how would it affect the way I take care of the car
First, congrats on the new car!

Second, if it`s been on the lot for a while it may have been exposed to industrial fallout and chemical contaminants. It could also have been "cleaned off" a few times by the lot attendants, resulting in some marring. You might decide that you need a separate mild abrasive or chemical cleaning step.

Dalton
07-29-2004, 02:41 PM
Hey Marj. I figured I would clay PwC and Ex-p it.

awd330
07-29-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Dalton
Hey Marj. I figured I would clay PwC and Ex-p it.
That sounds like a good plan for most new cars. If the dealer has already "damaged" the paint, then you can always refuse to take delivery.

BTW - What color is it?

bossplaya
07-29-2004, 03:53 PM
My dad has a Pilot and I really like the way it drives. Cool choice!
It probably wouldn`t hurt to clean and condition the leather. Could help it if you`re using a product with UV protectants in it.

tkr128
07-29-2004, 05:48 PM
Congrats on the new Pilot! I seriously considered one, but like you said, nobody gets one for invoice. I can`t wait to see it when you`re done! I would definately treat the leather, I am less than impressed with Honda`s leather. The leather in our Accord is wearing very badly and it`s conditioned on a regular basis.

rhillstr
07-29-2004, 06:38 PM
Nice choice. To answer your question, I was in the same boat. I got a new Acura last May and I was deciding on whether or not to dress it. Common sense kicked in and I decided to give it a smathering of leather conditioner. GLAD I DID. First off, it was most likely NOT treated at the dealer/manufacturer. Second, it looked sooooo good after I did. Do it! Treat the interior as well. Oh and both conditioner and interior dressings contain UV screens (at least they should!) so you can protect from day 1.