PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera - Help

billium
12-16-2002, 12:07 PM
My wife and I are going to purchase a digital camera for our daughter for Christmas. I know nothing about them.

Without getting into who is the best manufacturer (Sony, Fuji, etc.), would some of you that own digitals please take a moment and tell me what features are must have, like to have and a waste of money.

Also, will we need to buy her additional software, connection cables, etc. so she can download and manipulate the photos on her computer?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

P.S. - we have a $350 - $400 budget

Jngrbrdman
12-16-2002, 12:13 PM
There are a couple digital camera threads here that are really useful. Try a search on it for a ton of info.

I would personally suggest the Canon A40. You can get it for around $200 -$250 bucks now days. Its a 2 megapixel camera that takes awesome pictures. You can adjust the film speed, shutter speed, ligting effects and even take video with sound. It has a 3x optical zoom and a 4.5x digital zoom. I haven`t found another camera in that price range that is so versitile. Look at the pics in my gallery or in the link in my signature for examples of the photo quality.

There isn`t any point in spending any more for a camera unless you are looking for a higher megapixel model. The Canon A40 is the best you can get for a 2 MP camera. 2 MP isn`t that bad either. Its actually pretty darn good. I haven`t ever wished I had a better resolution camera.

The camera uses regular compact flash cards that can be purchased anywhere. It runs on 4 AA batteries. The other great thing about this camera is the fact that you can change out the lenses. They make a wide angle lens and a telephoto lens for it. You will have a hard time finding a digital camera for $200 that allows you all of these features. The changable lenses is one of my favorite parts. Really cool. www.canon.com has more info.

(steps off Canon A40 soapbox)

edit: Oh, and it does come with the software and the USB cable needed. I think most cameras are going to give you everything you need to get the pictures off the camera and onto your computer. :xyxthumbs

paco
12-16-2002, 03:54 PM
3MP - Kodak 4330 (new, full of features) excellent value.

I would shy away from 2MP camera`s. A camera is something you tend to hold on to for a long while. In a matter of time, 3MP will be standard issue. Also, when blowing up to 8x10 you do get some pixelation in the photo`s.

For 2MP

Canon A40 is pretty good but you don`t get rechargeable batteries and it uses 4-AA`s and is ~$30 more than the Fugi 2600.

Fugi 2600 (not 2650 which uses a more expensive memory chip) is great, comes with rechargeable battery and has the same zoom feature but only does Video without audio. Can also be used as a Webcam.

Remember,

Optical zoom is true zoom. Digital zoom is distorts the picture a bit so I wouldn`t recommend using it as a guide when buying a camera.

Get a 64MB card as well, will allow you to store between 100 - 150 photo`s depending the quality setting you choose.

Video with audio - you don`t really get much video time so personally, I don`t even bother with that as an option. It`s more of a gimmick IMO. A catch item.

Things to consider in the price by priority:

1st. View Finder (note: Nikon`s don`t include one). I`d say they are a must! The idea of taking pictures looking at the LCD is not very good.

2nd 2MP or 3MP (3 being the thing to shoot for)

3rd Memory - 64MB minimum.

4th Zoom - How much optical does it have (I`d say 3X is minimum).

5th Battery type (does it include a recharger) - AA or LiCd etc. I personally like the AA option as it is easier to replace on vacation etc.

6th View Finder - Does it have a eye correction i.e. so you can adjust for your eyesight

7th Video - does it do audio? For me, not really an issue.

8th Size - I personally don`t like very small camera`s.

9th Kit / Package deal - does it include the USB cable. Make sure they include a photo development deal i.e 50 free photo`s, a few 8x10`s etc..

Almost all photo developers *at least the large guys* you can bring in your memory chip and have them print the photo`s or upload to their website the files for printing. That way you get the photo`s on acid free thick photo paper. The home printing is fine but it isn`t the quality you get at the photo centers.

Note: Printing from digital media is generally ~20% cheaper than using traditional print film. So going digitial is definitely the way to go.

I think I`m getting the 4330 with 64MB chip.

Stay away from Sony as the picture colour does seem to be a bit off.

So for me: Either the Kodak 4330 or Fugi 2600 with the Canon A40 right there if if I`m willing to shell out a few more bucks for it and the charger. 2600 vs. A40 is really just a financial consideration. I`d get the A40 if money between the two isn`t an issue.

Paco

Jngrbrdman
12-16-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by paco

Canon A40 is pretty good but you don`t get rechargeable batteries and it uses 4-AA`s and is ~$30 more than the Fugi 2600.

Remember,

Optical zoom is true zoom. Digital zoom is distorts the picture a bit so I wouldn`t recommend using it as a guide when buying a camera.

Get a 64MB card as well, will allow you to store between 100 - 150 photo`s depending the quality setting you choose.

Video with audio - you don`t really get much video time so personally, I don`t even bother with that as an option. It`s more of a gimmick IMO. A catch item.

Sorry. I gotta defend my little A40 for a second.

1. I got some great Energizer rechargable batteries for like 8 bucks at Target. They will take hundreds of pictures between charges. I got two sets and keep one set charged all the time. So the battery not being rechargable isn`t an issue for me. There is a great thread here about rechargable batteries. :up

2. The A40 has a 3x optical zoom and a 4.5x digital zoom on top of that. The optical zoom goes first and then the digital takes over past the 3x. Its pretty great. Definatly something you should aim for. The other good thing is the interchangable lenses you can get for further optical zoom features. I haven`t seen that kind of an option availible for cameras of this cost.

3. I`ve had fun with the video. With the standard 8MB flash card you can take about a minute of video with sound depending on the size of frame you want to take it with. Its worth it if you wanted to make very short videos for a webpage or something like that. I think its one of the cooler features of the A40.

Ok. I`m off my A40 soapbox now. :D I just think its a dandy camera. Definatly good if its going to be a first digital camera for someone. Of course, just like with everything else, opinions may vary on what is good and what isn`t. I think that list that paco put up is a really good one to follow when purchasing a camera. Take into consideration the value of "gimmicks" like the video with sound and the interchangable lenses. They do have some pretty cool uses.

paco
12-16-2002, 05:39 PM
Good point about the video for websites. I hadn`t really thought of that :bounce

About the interchangeable lenses, nice point but with a modest budget, it really isn`t an option as I would imagine each lense will run at least 200 bucks or so.. USD.

Rechargeables - Here in Canada, that`s a prime feature that costs about 50 bucks CDN at the video stores. Granted, for me, I just pick-up a 8 or 12 pack of Panasonics for $2 buck as the dollarama and I`m set for a year! So the rechargeable thing is that great of a concern. But it is for some.

So you like your A40 eh. I`m still tossing up the A40 vs 4330 ... I have a nice 150 USD Amazon.com gift certificate that`s playing nicely in my decision.... If only I didn`t need to buy a new bed, couch, coffee table, engagement ring, wedding etc......

We just bought my GF parents a 2600 with 64MB.... hopefully they`ll like it. Got a great deal on it on for 300 CDN + card.

IMO, the benchmark should be: Megapixels/Zoom over video/audio. I`d hate to have a great shot that I`d like to blow up of a family moment (or pet moment) and deal with the pixelation. But hey, the video with sound for the internet could be neat.... Clay video, buffing video, wet sanding... the list could go on and on and on...

Paco

Jngrbrdman
12-16-2002, 05:56 PM
Actually, the lenses are only going for about a hundred bucks apiece. I was really shocked when I saw those prices. eBay is your friend when it comes to that kind of thing. Even the normal eStores sell them for around that price. Not too shabby. I was expecting them to be much higher in price too.

Rechargables are costly, eh? Hmmm.... I wonder why? I got mine off the rack at Target. The green and silver Energizers are the best I`ve found. That thread I was talking about had some good info on batteries and had some good online retail links as well.

Detailing NY
12-16-2002, 06:03 PM
I just bought a digital camera for the business.

This is the second one i had.

I first had the sony mavica m-91, I would not recommend this. It was to big and everything went on floppy disc. You always need to carry some with you.

I know have the sony cyper shot 4 megapixel. This camera is about the size of a cell phone. It is great. I have the 128mb card inside and it takes tons of pix. It even records 1/2hr of video.

It was around 300.00 but well worth it. If came with some programs as well.

This is the perfect camera for traveling as well, can fit in your pocket.

If it helps you out any, I did a lot of searching around before i bought this camera.

hope this helps

NYD

ps: Is that a camera in your pocket or are you just happy to be here. :)

TortoiseAWD
12-17-2002, 09:07 AM
My $.02 . . .

Don`t skimp on batteries. You really don`t have to spend a lot to get quality rechargeables, and alkalines just plain can`t stand up to the demands of a digital camera. Yeah, you can toss four alkalines in your camera, and it`ll work . . . for about a dozen shots. A good set of rechargeables will get close to 100 shots or more in my Oly, and recharge in only a few hours. I`ve got two sets of four batteries that I keep in rotation for my camera, and I`ve yet to be caught without juice when I need it.

Check http://www.thomasdistributing.com for good deals on chargers and batteries. Here`s what I`ve been using: http://www.thomasdistributing.com/mh-c204f-4aa180dc.htm . . . you can get the charger and four batteries for about $35. Add on a 12V DC charger cord (for the cig lighter in your car) and another four batteries (total of eight) and it`s about $48.

Tort

Green Monster
12-17-2002, 01:04 PM
Here is a good link for Digital Camera Reviews: Digital Cameras (http://www.dpreview.com/)

Good Luck and Happy Shopping. :wavey

ragtopgolfer
12-17-2002, 03:47 PM
Here is a good place to check for deals:

Pricewatch (http://www.pricewatch.com)

NewEgg (http://www.newegg.com)

al75110616
12-28-2002, 08:32 PM
yes the Canon A40 is a great digital camera, i got it for christmas. takes very good pictures:up

tdsoup
12-29-2002, 01:10 PM
I also got an A40 for xmas. I`m looking foward to many great pics with it! :)