PDA

View Full Version : my plan

airjames
12-16-2002, 12:17 AM
ok everyone this is my plan of attack to detail my truck

1.) Dawn Wash

2.) Remove tar, bugs, etc... (Eimann Fabrik Tar Remover)

3.) 1 coat Meguiars Premuim Paint cleaner

4.) 1 coat Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze

5.) 1 coat Meguiars Premuim Paint Protection

I don`t intend to use a claybar because I have no past experience with one. That and I`m only concerned about the outside, interior is fine. I am open to all suggestions, comments etc,,,

Tks guys

:xyxthumbs

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/cover/gallery1323.jpg

samiam513
12-16-2002, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by F-150_91

I don`t intend to use a claybar because I have no past experience with one. That and I`m only concerned about the outside, interior is fine. I am open to all suggestions, comments etc,,,

Tks guys

:xyxthumbs

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/cover/gallery1323.jpg

Clay bar is practically harmless unless you drop it, and it is used on the outside.

do a search, you`ll learn more about it.

crooper
12-16-2002, 12:42 AM
claying is very easy. i think you`d like the slick surface it leaves.

SHPatel
12-16-2002, 12:48 AM
I strongly reccommend the use of a clay bar. It will help get all the grit off the car which will setup the paint nicely for whatever you have planned. And using a clay bar is very simple so don`t worry about screwing up.

airjames
12-16-2002, 04:33 PM
I know you have to use some sort of lubricant when using a claybar, but they always scared me a bit. If it`s easy as you all say it is then maybe it;s worth a shot?? I know a car wash or a final detail spritz are good lubricants for the clay bar but still, maybe it;s worth a shot. I have always thought of clay bars like double edged swords. Well I will try one when I go to do my plan and I am still sticking with it. I hope I can use the clay bar right:D Tks guys;)

:wavey 91http://www.f150online.com/galleries/cover/gallery1323.jpg

paco
12-16-2002, 05:47 PM
Don`t bother with the dawn wash first. I`d dawn only after Step 3 if you must. I, as some other`s, are trying to teach the true purpose of a dawn wash.

Dawn`s recommendation comes from the ability of it`s cutting power to remove waxes, oils and grime to achieve a perfectly clean surface for sealant binding. Therefore, the need to use it on the initial wash when claying and polishing is to occur, isn`t really the original recommendation.

I`d consider it more imporant that you get off the EH B&T over the crap that is currently on the paint as the B&T must be pretty alkaline to cut through the baked on bugs and tar. That worry me more than dawn itself. Don`t get me wrong, I`d use the product as well, but I`d be more careful in ensuring that it is washed off pretty well before proceeding to the next steps.

By minimizing your use of dish washing detergents, you`ll protect your clear better. Only use it when you require an absolute clean surface. A while back, it was mentioned that even a couple of washes with a dish detergent can effect your clear. I am not sure that`s the case, but I rather err on the side of caution and only use before I apply a sealant layer and only after a major paint preparation.

Claying is pretty easy, look for the video that was posted here earlier, if you can`t find it. Let me know and I`ll send it to you as I have on my home PC.

Paco