PDA

View Full Version : How do I know?

Knight
12-14-2002, 09:34 PM
What types of paint jobs are there?

How do I know which one is which?

An example would be. How can I tell which cars have a clear coat and which cars have a base coat? What do these terms mean exactly, and is there any other types that I have not mentioned?

Thank you

Knight :up

imported_BretFraz
12-14-2002, 10:05 PM
Howdy, welcome to Autopia :wavey

Determining if a paint is clearcoated or not is real easy. Just try this little test:

Apply a cleaner wax or light polish (like SMR) to an out-of-the-way area of your car, like a door jamb. Rub firmly for 15 seconds or so. Look at your applicator - if you see the paint`s color on the app then your paint is not clearcoated. If you see nothing on your app then your paint likely has a clearcoat. Note that not every square inch of your car is clearcoated so try this test where the paint looks glossy. For example, my car`s door jambs have been clearcoated but the underside of the trunk and hood have not.

As for more info on what car paint is, how its made, what the diffs are, etc, I suggest you do some net searching for companies like DuPont, PPG, Sherwin Williams, Ditzler, etc. Those companies and others mfr a large % of auto paint used by the OEMs and body shops.