PDA

View Full Version : Porter cable at low price!!!!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

ohsoclean
07-28-2004, 11:06 PM
I have 2 high speed polishers. But they are heavy and dont get me wrong i love them. but after hearing everyone talk about the porter cable`s i gave it some though. Anyways i was at lowes buying a trailer, a compressor and new pressure washer when i decided to take a stroll down the power tool isle. and there she was the last friggen on besides the floor model that looked like it had been banged up . in the box with 1 finish pad and another one someone left out of a box . And for the low price of $105.85 now i could give a crap about the damn trailer and all that stuff i finally got a damn pc and now i can hardly wait to use the thing. Just thought id let ppl know incase they didnt know lowes sells um. and cheap cheap cheap. at least thats what i figure. the thing is much smaller and lighter then i had imagined . :mohawk :wow :dancin

groebuck
07-29-2004, 12:06 AM
Yup that is where I got mine - 7336sp comes with 6" counter weight - now you need a backing plate and some pads! - check out www.premiumautocare.com!

ohsoclean
07-29-2004, 12:31 AM
it came with a white polishing pad and they gave me one someone didnt want. its threaded on the backside. are all pads liek this. or the black backin plate that is on there allready ....do they make pads that go over that . if so where can i get them. thanks in advance

JohnC
07-29-2004, 01:24 AM
I ordered mine two days ago from coastaltool.com, for $126.50 shipped.

Today, as I was looking at premiumautocare.com, the price seemed to have dropped to $139.95... with 10% detailcity discount and free shipping = $125.95.

Oh well. :(

As for the pads, I decided to get the ones from properautocare.com, they have a kit - lambswool pad, cutting pad, 2x polishing pads, finishing pad, 2x terry bonnets and a flexible backing plate... for $49.95.
http://www.properautocare.com/porcabackit.html

Maxtorque02
07-29-2004, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by ohsoclean
I have 2 high speed polishers. But they are heavy and dont get me wrong i love them. but after hearing everyone talk about the porter cable`s i gave it some though. Anyways i was at lowes buying a trailer, a compressor and new pressure washer when i decided to take a stroll down the power tool isle. and there she was the last friggen on besides the floor model that looked like it had been banged up . in the box with 1 finish pad and another one someone left out of a box . And for the low price of $105.85 now i could give a crap about the damn trailer and all that stuff i finally got a damn pc and now i can hardly wait to use the thing. Just thought id let ppl know incase they didnt know lowes sells um. and cheap cheap cheap. at least thats what i figure. the thing is much smaller and lighter then i had imagined . :mohawk :wow :dancin

The pads that come with the PC are basically junk. You might get one or two cars out of them before they start to disentegrate. You`ll need to get a hook and loop backing plate so that you can use hook and loop pads and easily change pads without having to unscrew it each time. I got mine at Top of the Line. If you get the 6" backing plate then you can use the 7.5" Lake Country curved edge pads. Good luck. It`s a nice tool to have and much easier to use than a rotary.:rockin

TraderB
07-29-2004, 12:30 PM
Actually the screw on white polishing pad that comes with the PC is quite good. When I got my PC I tossed the pad aside because of negative comments about it. Well, fellow DC member CharlesW commented that he has used that pad repeatedly with Meg`s no 9 with good success. So, I have given the pad a chance and in my opinion it is a great pad for polishing. The pad being crap seems to be reaching the point of being an urban legend. So the question is, has anyone who has used the pad for it`s intended purpose...polishing....can say they didn`t like it?

Woob
07-29-2004, 12:46 PM
$105.87? Got mine for 104.97 after List price was 109.99 + 10% off. Doh. Taxes suck!

awd330
07-29-2004, 01:21 PM
I used my original screw on pad (7336SP purchased from Lowe`s) a few times with Meg`s #9. After getting hold of some Lake Country pads, I threw away the original PC pad. I liked the LC pads so much better that I figured I would never use the original pad again.

ohsoclean
07-29-2004, 02:32 PM
Alls i know is i woulda payed even 120 for mine. it was the last one on the shelf with 2 free pads .. even if there **** i get 4 cars for a low price out of um wich is better then no pads and no cars. I will switch over . i used it this morning on a s55 and i love it. i think its well worth the money and its allready payed off in less then 24hrs ... gotta love the detail buisness huh ? haha thanks for the info guys ... if i get more in at the lowes by my house ill let everoyne know ....

acl99
07-29-2004, 02:53 PM
ive used the pad that comes with the PC for polishing my windows and some furnature around the house, it does have a use :)

2wheelsx2
07-29-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by TraderB
So the question is, has anyone who has used the pad for it`s intended purpose...polishing....can say they didn`t like it?

I can. It sucks. I used it twice before the edge of the backing plate starting cutting into the foam and little foam chunks starting flying everywhere. I threw the thing out before the whole foam pad separated from the backing, leaving me grinding my paint with the plastic. :wall

CharlesW
07-29-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2
I can. It sucks. I used it twice before the edge of the backing plate starting cutting into the foam and little foam chunks starting flying everywhere. I threw the thing out before the whole foam pad separated from the backing, leaving me grinding my paint with the plastic. :wall Interesting. Mine has been used many times with Meguiar`s #9 and other than a little feathering around the outer edge, it looks almost new. Definitely not chunking or coming apart.
Do you apply a lot of pressure to the pad when you are polishing?
Anyway, it seems to work for some, but not for others. You might want to try it and make your own decision. Let us know what your experience is if you do use it.

Charles

kimwallace
07-29-2004, 07:12 PM
I have used my white pad a lot with #9 and it works and holds up good. My only problem with it is I get more vibration with it and the PC isn`t quite as stable (it wants to wobble) as it is with a lower profile pad like Meguiars.
Just my .02

clean4u
07-29-2004, 08:42 PM
I was talking to a friend of mine today and he has the PC 7424 and it had a velcro backing plate on it . Now i guess you have to buy this seperate im guessing or im i wrong? Im thinking about getting a PC myself what do i need to get as far as different pads and etc?

Woob
07-29-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by clean4u
I was talking to a friend of mine today and he has the PC 7424 and it had a velcro backing plate on it . Now i guess you have to buy this seperate im guessing or im i wrong? Im thinking about getting a PC myself what do i need to get as far as different pads and etc?

Yes you have to get the 7336/7424 then buy all the accessories. You need a backingplate, and pads. Pads are cutting/polish/finish and range from 6.5-7.5. Some go to 4 inches. Depensd on what you want. PC is worth the buy!