PDA

View Full Version : Poorboys Natural Look

Pages : [1] 2

offcenter
12-14-2002, 01:42 PM
I tried Poorboys NATURAL LOOK today. It smells like EO Protectant Lotion, has a nice cherry aroma. The concern I have is that the label says “contains petroleum distillates†however it also states that it is water based. There is no chemical smell to indicate the presence of petroleum distillates but I am not sure. It states UV protection as well. I applied it to a clean cloth and applied it to the door panels, dash and rubber seals. It applies just like Protectant Lotion, a little thinner but the intial result was a high gloss. I buffed the areas with a clean towel to reduce the shine. Overall, I like it but the petroleum distillates warning concerns me. For the price, it is pretty much in line with other similar products that have UV protection and a pleasant smell. A while back, Yosteve recommended Black Magic Dashboard Protectant which is pretty inexpensive, offers UV protection and a nice citrus smell. I tried it and it works pretty good. In conclusion, Natural Look is okay and I would recommend it, however since I now have 303 Aerospace Protectant, Vinylex(only for the tires), EO Protectant Lotion, Black Magic Dashboard Protectant and Natural Look, I won`t be buying any new protectants for a while. My order of preference would be:

303- works well, smells bad

EO Protectant Lotion - works well, nice smell, no UV protection???

Natural Look- if there are no petroleum distillates, then it would be my first choice

Black Magic- a little too watery for me, leaves an uneven finish on my black dash

mszzpea
12-31-2002, 05:15 AM
I just used some Natural Look on my tires and exterior trim; it seems to be good stuff. I`ve also used 303, and haven`t decided which I like better.

Just wondering why petroleum distilates are bad? Does it damage vinyl or plastic?

offcenter
12-31-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by jdwagner

I just used some Natural Look on my tires and exterior trim; it seems to be good stuff. I`ve also used 303, and haven`t decided which I like better.

Just wondering why petroleum distilates are bad? Does it damage vinyl or plastic?

I have been using Bold and Brite for my tires and I am very happy with it, it`s a new product from Poorboy. I don`t know if petroleum distillates are bad or not, read this exerpt from http://www.protectall.com/artmyths.htm

BENEFICIAL RESULTS FOR APPEARANCE

____ The reason that petroleum distillates are used in most appearance care products is because they perform many different and important functions at an affordable price. Over 98% of the thousands of paste and liquid Car Waxes and Polishes formulated today contain significant amounts of petroleum distillate, from the best known brands to the lesser known, as well as the highly regarded premium quality brands used by professional detailers. It is used in these products because petroleum distillates easily dissolves waxes and silicones, cuts quickly through oily dirt and light grease and helps lubricate the surface and prevent scratching.

____ Products that are used on plastic, vinyl and rubber surfaces should be formulated from very special types of petroleum distillates that contain little if any of the harsher aromatic and naphthenic molecules. While this type of paraffinic distillate costs a good deal more, it helps insure that the product does not attack the surface or remove important components from the vinyl or rubber when used as directed — yet, it does help to clean and lubricate the surface. Such products can be formulated to leave behind a rich and protective wax or silicone (or both) film to help lengthen the useful life of the surface and prevent cracking and shrinkage. The use of petroleum distillate to dissolve UV Blockers enables formulators to provide excellent protection against deterioration, chalking and fading caused by sunlight. The most effective UV Blockers are only soluble in petroleum distillates and not in water.

Poorboy
01-04-2003, 04:22 PM
Rad21... had a few minutes and was reading about....this last thread answers why the price is a bit more than I would want it to be, but better products have better ingredients which cost a little more. If one drop of petroleum in any shape or form is in a product it must be listed on label for health reasons ie. drinking it or getting in your eyes...very gald you read labels because the gov. makes us put it there for a reason. Yes the small amount of petroleum distillates is part of the cleaner in the dressing not the protectant or the UV .

We are working on getting more sizes for the product including a concentrate you can mix yourself to save money on product and shipping......ooops a secret out...

offcenter
01-04-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Poorboy

Rad21... had a few minutes and was reading about....this last thread answers why the price is a bit more than I would want it to be, but better products have better ingredients which cost a little more. If one drop of petroleum in any shape or form is in a product it must be listed on label for health reasons ie. drinking it or getting in your eyes...very gald you read labels because the gov. makes us put it there for a reason. Yes the small amount of petroleum distillates is part of the cleaner in the dressing not the protectant or the UV .

We are working on getting more sizes for the product including a concentrate you can mix yourself to save money on product and shipping......ooops a secret out...

Steve,

Glad to see you are up to reading the boards again. Considering your family situation, it is most generous of you to share your thoughts. Thanks for the reply. Natural Look has been on my dash and door panels for almost 3 weeks now and looks excellent. After reading about the petroleum distillates, I am not concerned, so Natural Look is now my number 1 choice for interior protection.:xyxthumbs

NattyBumppo
02-10-2003, 11:23 AM
I got to use Natural Look this past weekend and I love it. I`m not a fan of very glossy interior derssings (or even tires for that matter) and the Natural Look gloss was spot on for me. To my eye it is very similar to Meg`s #40.

I sprayed it directly onto the panel I was working on then wiped with a dry mf. Did the entire interior this way and then when finished I went back over each panel very lightly with a new, dry mf. The end result was a nice "natural look", almost totally dry to touch and not slippery.

Interesting how folks have differing taste....Rad21 liked the scent but I didn`t. Reminded me too much of cough syrup when I was a kid. Not a big issue though since scents in any dressing I`ve used never seem to last more than a day or so.

Steve...I have a thought and would like your opinion and that of other Autopians. If the petrol in the product is there primarily for the cleaning ability on whitewalls/letters I say fugitaboudit! Don`t even bother including it since almost everyone is going to use a cleaner (Like APC+ or something else) before using a dressing. I cleaned the interior first with AutoInt Omni Cleaner.

Nice product. If it lasts at least as long as Meg`s W-Dressing, I`ll continue to use it.

Natty

offcenter
02-10-2003, 12:49 PM
Natural Look is still lookin` good on my interior. It`s been on almost 2 months now.:D

imported_memnuts
02-10-2003, 01:27 PM
I have used the Poorboy`s Natural Look for at least 3 months now I love the product. My wife hates any gloss enhancing products on the LS400 dash. One day I applied some and buffed off afterwards. She loved the new like appearance and did not complain about a gloss problem.

The Bold & Bright is also excellent for fender wells. It cleans and coats producing a nice gloss that compliments these areas. Unlike many products this B&B remains black and have not browned. Very good stuff.:xyxthumbs

NattyBumppo
02-10-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

The Bold & Bright is also excellent for fender wells. It cleans and coats producing a nice gloss that compliments these areas. Unlike many products this B&B remains black and have not browned. Very good stuff.:xyxthumbs

I agree. I`ve got a gallon on the way :D .

Natty

Mr. Clean
02-10-2003, 02:15 PM
I had the opportunity to try out Poorboy`s Natural Look late last week. My son was washing his S-10 Blazer and I asked if I could try out a new product on his truck. What else would he say?

I first applied the Natural Look to his tires, agitated with a brush and rinsed. Moved to the vinyl interior applying to the seats, the dash, door panels, and interior tailgate. After lightly buffing, Natural Look left the surfaces with a nice low gloss everywhere except on the seats, which for some reason remained glossy. I then went back over the tires with Natural Look massaging in with the towel. Results, tires nice and black with a matte finish. Son said..."That looks nice, Dad. Smells good too. Gee, thanks."

WOW!

Thanks to Steve at Poorboy`s, Natural Look, a nice product and Steve is a genuinely nice guy to do business with.

It sounds as though I may need to try the Bold & Brite product. I really have been looking for a new product for my wheel wells. Do you 1) spray and agitate 2) wipe 3) spray again?

imported_memnuts
02-10-2003, 02:23 PM
Mr Clean,

After doing a soap and water wash I just saturate an old tire swap and massage into surface. It dries in no time. The B & B actually makes the uncoated areas appear like it was just applied and the plastic fender wells shine with a gloss that reflects the true textile of both surfaces.:xyxthumbs

Mr. Clean
02-10-2003, 02:35 PM
Edwin,

Thank you

:xyxthumbs

Poorboy
02-10-2003, 04:24 PM
Thank you all for the kind words...just came back from hospital, Lana had to have her blood work done and needed some platelets. We have two more visits this week one for a transfusion and another for a ct scan. Then we go for surgery.

Natty the small amount of cleaners in the product we design for the people who want to skip a step of cleaning and then dressing.

Can it be removed...sure but I think you`d have to buy an aweful lot of it :D

Mr. Clean I would imagine that your leather seat is coated and therefore will return to its` Natural Look. Did your seats have a gloss to them when they were new? But it should still dry to the touch within a few minutes.

"E" I know your testing is being very thorough as always

Rad 21 ...3 months :shocked if you never use it how can I sell you more;)

Thanks again everyone..if you can think of better directions than mine..post them and I`ll have the labels changed.

offcenter
02-10-2003, 04:32 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Poorboy

Rad 21 ...3 months :shocked if you never use it how can I sell you more;)

No worries Steve, I need to reorder some more Spray and Wipe soon but that big bottle of Natural Look should last a while:xyxthumbs

Mr. Clean
02-10-2003, 05:32 PM
Steve, sorry didn`t mention but the seats are vinyl. The finish was glossier (and cleaner) than when I started. The sheen is not a problem it was perfectly dry and not tacky. My comment was just recording the fact that the seats were more glossy than the other surfaces (interior panels and tires).

Best wishes for the upcoming tests.