PDA

View Full Version : Hello all, question about removing swirl marks with PC 7424 Ultimate...

TheOzzfather
12-14-2002, 11:14 AM
I have been reading here http://www.properautocare.com/remswiruspor.html about how to remove the swirl marks. I am using the yellow fingers pad and 3M SMR for light color cars for the compounding step. What should I use for a polish in the polishing step?? The last step will be Zaino as per always. Thanks fellas.:up :bow :D

imported_BretFraz
12-14-2002, 02:52 PM
My question is, do you really need a follow up polish to the SMR? I don`t see the point unless you really need it.

When Steve and I detailed my car we started with DACP which removed swirls and left the paint nice but not 100% perfect. So we followed up with P21S GEPC and the white finger pad. That was the trick - the paint looked awesome and was ready for Z5.

I think a SMR with do pretty much the same thing as GEPC but you need to be the judge here.

TheOzzfather
12-14-2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by bretfraz

My question is, do you really need a follow up polish to the SMR? I don`t see the point unless you really need it.

When Steve and I detailed my car we started with DACP which removed swirls and left the paint nice but not 100% perfect. So we followed up with P21S GEPC and the white finger pad. That was the trick - the paint looked awesome and was ready for Z5.

I think a SMR with do pretty much the same thing as GEPC but you need to be the judge here.

I really do not know how to to be honest. I am just in the research and learning stage.

imported_BretFraz
12-14-2002, 05:23 PM
My point is, the only way to know for sure is to start with the least aggressive methods and products and evaluate as you go along. No one will know until you`ve finished with the SMR step. If you feel you need more polishing, then fine, otherwise stop there and go to Z.

The only person that can answer your questions is you. It`s your car and your expectations.

imported_doug
12-15-2002, 06:44 PM
The abrasives in SMR will break down with use to finer and finer polish before disappearing altogether. Used properly, you do not need to follow with anything except your topcoat sealer - wax or polymer. Used improperly, a polish will hide the haze you put in with the SMR......