PDA

View Full Version : Car dealer detailing

Pages : [1] 2

Murrayhe
12-14-2002, 06:04 AM
I had my brand new black Mercedes with ZERO swirls washed at my dealers (Penske). It came out with gazillions of swirls. Very bad.

I complained at the dealer and now they`ve agreed to detail it for me (not sure exactly what they`re going to do yet). I`m guessing it`ll be by the guys who detail and wax the new unsold cars and not the monkeys that washed it.

My question is, should I let them do it or should I do it myself? I have never polished any car and I don`t yet have the equipment.

Also, will using Zaino Z5 swirl remover get rid of the swirls or will it require polishing?

crooper
12-14-2002, 06:09 AM
i wouldn`t let them touch my car again. they messed up once, they might just glaze it and make it look like they removed the swirls.

Murrayhe
12-14-2002, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by crooper

i wouldn`t let them touch my car again. they messed up once, they might just glaze it and make it look like they removed the swirls.

Why is that a bad thing? The swirls will not be visible then right?

Please excuse my noobness, but what is glazing?

crooper
12-14-2002, 07:13 AM
glazing is using a filler to temporarily fill in the swirls. it will look good when you pick it up but the imperfections will reappear in a week or so. i just don`t trust dealers.

SVR
12-14-2002, 10:02 AM
There is a Ford dealership in Queensland and the detailing crew there are not too flash. The paintwork on the new BA Falcon`s there is that rough, the windows have streaks and they probably don`t mask up the rubbers when using a machine buffer.

If the dealer does it, make sure they machine buff it in side to side motions, not circular. That causes major swirls.

Redcar GUY
12-14-2002, 10:05 AM
I wouldnt let the wash boy at the dealer wash my bath tub.

bigpoppa
12-14-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Redcar GUY

I wouldnt let the wash boy at the dealer wash my bath tub.

exactly. forget the dealer and make them pay for you to take it to a professional who knows what they are doing.

SVR
12-14-2002, 11:33 AM
Unfortunately there are a few pro detailers who use wool machine buffing pads because they do a better cutting job than foam ones but forget that modern cars have very sensitive paint work and should only be cut once in their lifetime with a fine compound. One particular car dealership in northern suburbs of S.A. did a complete respray (2 pak) job on an EB falcon (1992) and then buffed it with a wool pad. OUCH - totally nackered the paint and had to respray again. OOPS

Murrayhe
12-14-2002, 06:56 PM
Do you think they will agree to buy me a PC and materials so I can polish it up on my own? How should I approach asking them for this?

Scottwax
12-14-2002, 07:56 PM
Are you sure you now have swirls in your car or just streaks from them not drying it fast enough and marring the finish? If you don`t actually have buffer swirls in your paint, the surface marring from running a towel across the paint when it is dry is much easier to remove. I still wouldn`t let the dealer touch it though unless you can see some examples of their detailers work in the direct sun and if they will prove to you nothing but a foam pad will touch your paint. If they can`t, make them pay for an independent detailer...again, make sure the detailer will be using foam pads and high quality products.

Myles
12-16-2002, 05:38 AM
I would never let a dealer touch my car. Whenever I have looked in the bodyshop of one I see kids with dirty overalls who can pass as mechanics using wool pads etc.

They just dont look like they give a damn.

I would learn to do it myself, strictly following Autopias instructions.

I have found it pretty hard to find a Pro Detailer in my area that uses foam pads and the autopia way and looks like they really value my car. There are plenty of pros on autopia that id trust but id have to fly to another country to use them.

I recently detailed a VW Bora V6 4motion (Jetta) which is black for a freind. It came up pretty well (check my pics), but he took the car for servicing, and well wash marks everywhere. Thanks to a sponge that was old etc.

I have resorted to a stern warning when I drop my car in for servicing to the service manager "dont not touch my car in a detailing sense please, no washes or vacuming or anything" even a bold sign on the dash, "dont wash me".

Im a freak i know but hey.

SVR
12-16-2002, 06:34 AM
I know what you mean

When i bought my AU falcon in 1998 and took the car in for servicing at Maughan Thiem Ford in Port Adelaide (don`t let ford touch my car anymore) i had a good look at their detailing bay

Got a good gurney and setup but mostly young kids in there doing the work

Took my car into Rebel Ford at elizabeth for a recall and she came back to me with a 4 inch horizontal deep scratch on the drivers door. MAJORLY PISSED OFF.

Cost the dealership $300 in crash repair respray job.

Myles - what is your opinion on wool pads

My master tought me to use only foam pads as wool scratches the hell out of cars made since 1987 due to clearcoat and new, very soft but great shine paintwork.

In my last job i picked up a new patrol car from a ford dealer

Boot paintwork was full of lambswool scratches

Obviously they had machine buffed it with wool pads and cut the crap out of the car.

Also most dealerships detailers don`t know how to wash cars that have been hand or machine buffed

You can use car shampoo to any car new or old that has never been fully detailed but cars that have been really well looked after by caring owners should be washed with water only.

Prevents unwanted removal of wax/polishers/sealants and sticky feeling paintwork.

safetyman2010
12-16-2002, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Omikron

Unfortunately there are a few pro detailers who use wool machine buffing pads because they do a better cutting job than foam ones but forget that modern cars have very sensitive paint work and should only be cut once in their lifetime with a fine compound. One particular car dealership in northern suburbs of S.A. did a complete respray (2 pak) job on an EB falcon (1992) and then buffed it with a wool pad. OUCH - totally nackered the paint and had to respray again. OOPS

What you say about paint is unfortunately incorrect. Modern high solid clear coats can be cut as many times as required provided no more than the top 30 % of the clear (the hardest part of the clearcoat also containing the u.v. blockers) is removed. Furthermore it makes no difference if a wool pad or foam pad is used provided all the reuired steps are taken to polish the paint to perfection.

Myles
12-16-2002, 09:33 PM
Read into this what you will :

Im too scared to use a wool pad.

I have heard good an bad but ive heard more bad.

I have a Hitachi FVR 100 random orbit with Meguiars 6 inch w8006 pads (3 of them)

I use 3m finesse it 2 for cleaning etc.

I only use foam, I spose if the paint is really crap you could use a wool pad to really cut, but you have to follow up with a swirl remover not filler.

Each to their own. I prefer the Autopian Way, of course.

Myles
12-16-2002, 09:35 PM
Oh i remember why I use foam.

I know a guy who is in the Summernats hall of fame, only uses foam waffle pads. Look if he can take out national championships with his paintwork, i trust him.