PDA

View Full Version : Dawn or Z7 before SMR w/ PC?

billrouleau
12-12-2002, 11:01 PM
Should I dawn wash to remove prior waxes before I use 3M SMR with a PC...or should the SMR remove previous waxes while I use it? I was planning on just washing w/ Z7, then using SMR, then doing a dawn wash, then doing the Zaino system. Any thoughts?

bigpoppa
12-12-2002, 11:07 PM
any wash should be fine - I`d probably use the Z7. I`d also check to see if the surface needs to be clayed first, so this is what I would do, and actually what I am doing very soon:

Z7 wash

Clay

Z7 wash

3M SMR with PC (this will remove any prior wax/sealant

Dawn wash to remove SMR residue, etc.

Begin Zaino

I have about 25 coats of Zaino over the past two years, but have some light cover and towel scratches that are driving me crazy. Of course no one else can see them but me. Time to strip it all off and start over.:D

imported_BretFraz
12-12-2002, 11:08 PM
Howdy.

I don`t think it matters much. I`d use the cheapest shampoo I had (hint: It ain`t Z7). You`re right, the SMR will remove whatever old wax is left over.

You will want to wash after SMR and before Z but I actually prefer Z7 for that one. Not a requirement or anything, just a preference.

Welcome to Autopia. :wavey

bigpoppa
12-12-2002, 11:09 PM
sorry, don`t know why this came up twice.:confused:

billrouleau
12-13-2002, 01:06 AM
Thanks! I acutally clayed my 3 cars about 2 1/2 weeks ago and put a coat of #26 on. I didn`t have the PC then or the Zaino, but I still wanted some sort of protection. So my plan now is as follows:

Wash with mother`s car wash (have some laying around)

SMR w/ PC

Rewash with dawn (to remove any fillers)

Zaino those babies up :D

I`m going to get a digi cam soon so I`ll post results. I`m especially excited about PCing and Zainoing my new baby (CLK500)...good `ol dealer decided to *wash* it for me. You`d think someone would teach dealers the proper way to wash :rolleyes: :)

bigpoppa
12-13-2002, 01:13 AM
so it`s not only a CLK500 - it`s the AMG version? :bow :bow :xyxthumbs Can`t wait to see the pics.

billrouleau
12-13-2002, 08:49 AM
:D I love the thing. It has the AMG package (wheels, side skirts). Not the big daddy engine though, that`s the CLK55. the 500 still pulls 302 horses though :up