PDA

View Full Version : I guess I just dont get it....

breakneckvtec
12-11-2002, 10:40 PM
Ok, I am getting a PC. I am going to get the CMA pad kit. I also intend to use zaino. Now, what I need is a product suggestion for a surface prep to remove minor swirls, blemishes, and paint defects. I also need a suggestion for something agressive enough to use in the few areas where I have some minor scratches. I would like to know the exact process I should use up to the part where I would start to use the zaino. What pads to use etc. I would prefer to stay away from the wool pad initialy if possible but will be willing to use that on the minor scratches if necessary. Also please avoid abreviations and lingos I havent got all of them down yet so treat me like a noob, which I am. :bow

breakneckvtec
12-11-2002, 10:50 PM
BTW from the research I have done I think I was going to go with the meg medalion cleaner with the yellow pad, follow that with 3M SMR with a white pad, and then move on to the zaino from there. Help me out guys, I really need it!

imported_BretFraz
12-11-2002, 11:19 PM
To be completely honest with you, I don`t think anyone here can fully answer your questions. The primary problem is that none of us can see your car and determine what products and tools will work. There is no formula for this - no calculations - no software to run. Detailing to get results you want is much more art than science. I can give you a complete list of products and tools to buy and a sequence of actions to take. Will that give you the results you want? I really don`t know. And I think no one does.

For me and many others, the fun part of detailing is the experimentation and discovery of what product/tool/technique does what. This is all part of the learning process and no amount of online hand-holding is gonna make it easier for you. All I can honestly say is take what you have, add the products you think will work, and just start using them. You ideas from your last post are fine. Start there and see what happens.

Detailing is a journey, not just a destination. Enjoy the process. The results will come with time and work. Don`t worry about it, just do it. And have fun!!! :up :up

YoSteve
12-12-2002, 12:16 AM
the best start is to purchase the detailing e-book on this site

it`ll tell you alot about detailing

not sure, however, on how much it tells about your questions (maybe someone can fill it in)

shaf
12-12-2002, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by bretfraz

To be completely honest with you, I don`t think anyone here can fully answer your questions. The primary problem is that none of us can see your car and determine what products and tools will work.... Great post Bret :up I was starting to think the exact same thing. Based on your past few posts in previous threads Breakneck, I was beginning to realize that you`d like a really specific recommendation for your particular case.

How bad damage is, and what kind of action is required is a judgement call that has to be made in person. Descriptions and even photos aren`t very reliable. One man`s "minor swirls" could be another man`s "disaster". I`m not terribly experienced with swirl removal either, and there`s going to be a learning phase that will continue for a while. This isn`t everything, but here`s 2 things I can think of right now:

1) Know your pads and products` jobs and roughly how strong they are relative to each other.

2) If in doubt, start with the mildest process that you think will work, then repeat it or step up if this doesn`t produce results. This is an important and helpful general rule.

Good luck, and just be grateful you can even do this sort of thing this time of year! :D :xyxthumbs

jerry@robs
12-12-2002, 03:27 AM
I think your best bet is to search for a fellow autopian that lives near your area and maybe meet to check out each other`s ride or something... :)

ultrajim49
12-12-2002, 04:06 AM
My plan is to get me a "panel" from a junk-yard and devide it in sections(providing I can get a hood ...) and then use every product & pad in any combination on it to see what happens and to get the feel of the ROB.

Even then it won`t be the same as on my car , but it will be a guide-line.

That`s what I`m going to do as soon as my pads arrive.

breakneckvtec : may be a thought for you to.

Christiaan