PDA

View Full Version : DW443 scary story

andyztoy
12-11-2002, 08:57 PM
Thought I`d share this funny story with all of you after conversing with the resident fan of the Dewalt DW443 i.e. Intel486

After the first time I used the DW443, it felt a little weird (bcos I`ve never used an orbital b4)... somehow i felt there was something wrong - so I went back to the shop and asked them about it and they said they converted the DW443 I have from a sander to a polisher. At first I didnt know what that meant until later - they confirmed that the conversion they did was to turn the orbital into a rotary machine! No wonder, I had difficulty controlling it (it kept wanting to go in circles). Luckily I only used it once at the lowest setting (which according to them is at 800rpm), and didnt cause any paint damage (as far as I can see). Btw what they did was remove the entire black portion between the head and the pad (plus some other mods).

andyztoy
12-11-2002, 08:58 PM
Anyway, I`ve since done the reverse conversion.

shaf
12-11-2002, 09:55 PM
Yeeesh!! That IS kinda scary! When you expect your orbital to be an orbital only to find out it`s a rotary.

I didn`t even know you could convert the DW443 like that! :confused:

I guess you also didn`t get the typical orbital "jiggling" feeling when you used it right?

andyztoy
12-11-2002, 10:10 PM
nope... i didnt get the jiggle and thought it was normal. when i tested it, all i saw was that the pad rotated really fast and i was a bit hesitant (it was so fast at max speed).

turnipgreen
12-12-2002, 02:39 PM
My 443 just showed up on my desk. Just for funsies I plugged it in, and thankfully I got the good old jiggly kind.:)

andyztoy
12-12-2002, 08:43 PM
heheh i think in the US, they won`t simply mess things up for u guys :p