PDA

View Full Version : Buffing Off SMR

Idrops
12-09-2002, 09:51 AM
I find it hard to buff every smudge of SMR off either because it is hard to see or there are some stubborn spots. Do I need to spend the extra time and elbow grease worrying about these minor spots if I plan on using AIO after? Will the AIO take care of it?:nixweiss

imported_BretFraz
12-09-2002, 12:21 PM
Most SMR`s I`m familiar with have some oils in them so getting 100% of the residue off will be tough. Since you are following it with AIO I think you`ll be OK. The cleaners in the AIO should remove any oily residue. Give it a shot and let us know what happens.

BradE
12-09-2002, 12:21 PM
I would remove the residue before moving on to the next step. You wouldn`t want any of the residue (dried abrasive) to cause marring in a finer polishing stage.

If you need a little extra help removing the residue just give it a quick spritz of QD, or even a mist of water to help aid in removal. :up

ClayBartrug
12-09-2002, 01:19 PM
how are you applying this SMR? I`ve always found SMR applied with a PC, and broken down sufficiently buffs off easily... Done by hand, and it gets more stubborn! I`d try to get it all off before moving on to the next step!

shaf
12-09-2002, 01:36 PM
It sounds like you`re only having problems with small little spots, but I have a similar view as Chris S. When working SMR by hand, it`s hard not to get spots where you haven`t fully worked in the SMR and you get these heavier residues around the edges that are harder to buff off. I`d also try to remove them before proceeding.

Idrops
12-09-2002, 07:54 PM
I`m ising a PC and these are the small spots usually about an inch in diameter. I have found using a QD helps a lot but I still have trouble seeing them. I have to follow a flourescent lite fixture reflection along every square inch of the car. Every time I think I`m finished...ooops...there`s another one. The car is a Titanium metallic Civic so it`s hard to see.

imported_doug
12-09-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Idrops

I`m ising a PC and these are the small spots usually about an inch in diameter. I have found using a QD helps a lot but I still have trouble seeing them. I have to follow a flourescent lite fixture reflection along every square inch of the car. Every time I think I`m finished...ooops...there`s another one. The car is a Titanium metallic Civic so it`s hard to see.

Not sure what SMR you`re using, but I am almost certain if you`re having this problem you used too much and/or didn`t work it hard enough. you should work it so that even in good light you can barely see any residue BEFOE you buff it off - and it should be quite dry. still, it IS a bit sticky (not as bad as FI-II_ - the 3M is stickier than Meguiar`s. A little detail spray and MF should be sufficient. if not, I`m positive you used too much and/or didn`t work it hard enough