PDA

View Full Version : Oxidation even with layers of sealant protection?

Blackmirror
12-08-2002, 02:11 PM
I washed the trunk area of my GN yesterday(man I`ll never do it in the garage again....puddles of water everywhere!). Now I attempted to remove a scratch on the trunk area(remember the girlfriend with the sliding book thing? hehe) with #9. That didn`t work so I tried Meguiars scratch remover and it actually made them less visible although I think it didn`t completely remove the scratch. Now I did this on top of a layer of AIO and 5 layers of UPP(haven`t applied a coat in a while) using a foam pad. When I went to apply the product to the scratch I used a firm oval motion. After that I saw some black paint and I knew it was black paint because I just washed the trunk lid area too. Is it normal that a single stage paint will oxidize even though it has several layers of sealant on top of it? Should I have clayed it first before applying the scratch remover?

imported_Aurora40
12-08-2002, 02:46 PM
Paint will come off even if it hasn`t oxidized. Scratch-X is abrasive, and removes some paint in order to remove the scratch. Since you have no clearcoat, the paint coming off will be black (instead of clear).