PDA

View Full Version : Problem With Quick & Easy Wash?

imported_topncc
12-08-2002, 10:52 AM
I`m having a problem with Quick and Easy. It leaves a film on my car. I mixed it per instructions and even tried a little more and less to no avail. I`m drying the car with 100%cotton towels and the temp is 40. I`ve tried it on 3 different cars and I have the same problem. I must go over it with QD to remove the film. Any help would be appreciated.

Tnx

Gary:( :(

offcenter
12-08-2002, 11:36 AM
Gary,

I can`t help you with the film problem but I was not too impressed with Quick and Easy either. If my car is real dirty, I feel that a hose with water is the only safe way to wash. If the car has some dust, I use the California Car Duster first then something like Poorboys Spray and Wash or Clear Kotes Quik Shine. I am much happier with the results compared to Quick and Easy.

shaf
12-08-2002, 12:56 PM
Disclaimer: my car is silver. :o

Are you sure you are wiping off all the QEW from the surface before it has a chance to evaporate a lot? One strange thing I`ve noticed in using QEW myself is that even if you don`t get it 100% squeaky dry, what`s left over seems to dry up invisble (even on windows). :nixweiss But having said that, using stuff with good absorbancy and wiping it really well are important. I think I may have gotten some streaks on areas I didn`t soak up the product well enough.

Off-topic a bit, I read on the ProtectAll website that they actually suggest squeegeeing the surface dry! :eek: Has anybody dared to try this? As a CWB user it`s almost tempting to try this on the upper surfaces that just accumulate fine dust....

mx5gary
12-08-2002, 03:17 PM
So far this season I have not experienced your problem, it maybe that I don`t quite follow the directions. I use a two bucket method.

First bucket is the wash with QEW.

Second is clean rinse with water and a old MF.

1. wash with QEW

2. rinse wet with MF

3. rinse damp with MF

4. dry with dry MF (a separate MF from the one used in 2 & 3).

I don`t save much time over the normal type hose/bucket wash with this method, fact is I normally change the rinse bucket for each half of the vechile. Than again I`m looking for a clean finish not a time saving method.

Gary

imported_Paul Mitchell
12-08-2002, 04:05 PM
I don`t save time but I don`t get a film.

I wash with a cotton chennile covered sponge,than I use a damp 24x24 Pakshak MF over the surface just washed and it dries without residue or spotting. If I feel the surface remains too wet, I use another dry MF to blot. I use the 6 bucket

method. 1 wash, 1 rinse for the upper portion of the car, 1 wash, 1 rinse for the lower portion and 1 wash1 1 rinse for the wheels. I change the water if it gets too dirty while washing.

Seperate damp MF`s for the same portions and I also use an OXO wheel brush and a small cotton Charisma Select to wash the wheels which are too intricate for a cotton sponge or a mit.

The neighbors look at me like I am a complete lunatic.

I am washing outside in a condo complex.

Give everyones method a try, I am sure you will get the desired results with one of them.

Regards, Eric

Scottwax
12-08-2002, 05:18 PM
When is the last time any of these cars have been waxed? If it has been a while, that could be the problem. I have noticed on new customer`s cars that do not bead, you can get a slightly filmy look, especially on cool and humid days. The directions tell you that cars that are oxidized need to be polished and waxed to get the best results and in my experience, cars that may not be oxidized but have no wax also can leave some residue when using QEW. Usually, since I am doing a detail anyway, it isn`t a problem and I always QD even the cars I just wash. I do recommend wax to the cars that need it, so the next time I wash them I don`t have that problem.

Protect All is pretty upfront that paint in poor condition needs to be brought back to get the best results from QEW. Again, when wax is nearing the end of it`s protection or completely gone, you can get some minor surface residue that needs to be QDed.

You may also be having problems because of low temperatures and high humidity. Also, are you using a two towel method? If you use one towel (folded into 4ths, refolded as needed) to remove the majority of the water (but leaving a little bit behind) and then following with a drying towel, you shouldn`t get any film. I get the best results using a terry cloth towel for the first pass and a microfiber towel for the second pass.

One more option: Are you using a fabric softener for your detailing towels? They will leave a residue on the towels that will transfer to your paint when they get wet.

ashsarna
12-09-2002, 04:36 PM
EricGTI, that is a good procedure that I will try. I feel that scottwax may have a point;) , I have used Q&E several times now and have had no film problems (easily spotted if occur on my black volvo as compared to the silver). I have to say that both cars have still the canauba on them (I am not sure if synthetics like klasse, zaino will have the same impacts since I try to have the canauba topper always present).

imported_Intel486
12-09-2002, 05:43 PM
I use the QEW on my Dark Blue truck all the time and never see a film.

I mix it up in a 2 gallon garden sprayer (which I just broke the handle off of the other day, grrr). I then will wet my wash mit, spray the panel, and the carefully wipe it. I then use a 100% cotton bath towel to blot 90% of the water off. I`ll then use a smaller 100% cotton towel to buff it out to a great shine.

I`ve never noticed any haze on the paint even when I`ve used it on unwaxed vehicles.

Originally posted by Scottwax

[BOne more option: Are you using a fabric softener for your detailing towels? They will leave a residue on the towels that will transfer to your paint when they get wet. [/B]

Just thought I`d say I use Fabric Softener in all my cotton towels (not my MFs) and never see a haze caused by them. I was told to use fabric softener because it helps soften the wax still in the towels. I`ve never seen any adverse affects from using fabric softeners but I`d rather use it and just take that little oz of prevention.

offcenter
12-09-2002, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Intel486

I use the QEW on my Dark Blue truck all the time and never see a film.

I mix it up in a 2 gallon garden sprayer (which I just broke the handle off of the other day, grrr). I then will wet my wash mit, spray the panel, and the carefully wipe it. I then use a 100% cotton bath towel to blot 90% of the water off. I`ll then use a smaller 100% cotton towel to buff it out to a great shine.

I`ve never noticed any haze on the paint even when I`ve used it on unwaxed vehicles.

Just thought I`d say I use Fabric Softener in all my cotton towels (not my MFs) and never see a haze caused by them. I was told to use fabric softener because it helps soften the wax still in the towels. I`ve never seen any adverse affects from using fabric softeners but I`d rather use it and just take that little oz of prevention.

Fabric softener WILL affect the water absorption of the cotton towels and break down the fibers so the towel does not last as long.

imported_Intel486
12-09-2002, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by rad21

Fabric softener WILL affect the water absorption of the cotton towels and break down the fibers so the towel does not last as long.

I have not noticed any water absorption difference since i`ve started to use cotton towels.

My towels become stained and downgraded to grunge towels long before they wear out.

imported_topncc
12-09-2002, 07:43 PM
I would like to thank everyone for their help. I will change my application method and I will see if I achieve better results.

Gary:)