PDA

View Full Version : buffers.....

Pages : [1] 2

breakneckvtec
12-07-2002, 10:51 AM
This is my first post here, not new to auto forums though. Ok I have a 99 SI civic electon blue pearl. I used mothers three step on her about 2 months ago. It came out good but I want to rid my car of more swirls and blemishes. I need to know two things:

1.) I need a good pre cleaner, polish, wax combo. I hear alot of good things about klasse and zaino. What do you guys recommend.

2.) I do this whole thing by hand because I dont have a buffer. I think it may be time to invest in one though. The problem is I dont have a garage to do this in so I go to a do it yourself place and wash my car there with my own stuff and just use their water. So, I dont think there is an outlet there to plug a buffer into. Is there such thing as a battery powered buffer, and if so which one and where should I get it. I am an ameteur so no high speed stuff something effective and easy to use. Help me out guys.

Redcar GUY
12-07-2002, 10:57 AM
Welcome~ You can find answers to both of those easy with a few searches :) Also no pics in sigs and no more than 3 lines :)

Again glad to see you found the greatest forum on the net, go get a drink, sit down and be ready, the info here is unreal!

C. Charles Hahn
12-07-2002, 11:05 AM
As RCG Said, you might consider using the search function as we have answered your question time and again throughout several other posts.

However to address your second question, I wouldn`t worry about trying to get a battery powered buffer. First of all they are underpowered and cannot correct surface defects nearly as well as a wired one, and will obsolete itself very quickly.

What you said about being an amateur so "no high speed stuff", you really shouldn`t worry about that. Only thing to do is stay away from rotary polishers, start with something dual-action, and something that will have high enough output power to make working on your vehicle easier. This is why we recommend the PorterCable (PC) 7336/7335/7424. Please do a search to learn more.

Welcome to Autopia.

breakneckvtec
12-07-2002, 11:07 AM
Yes, I should have searched first. I tell the newbies on my other board this all the time. Thanks for the welcome. Since I started a thread mind just answering whether or not I can find a buffer that runs off a chargeable battery and what kind I should get. I want to polish and wax my car more often but doing it by hand is just death. If not I guess I will have to buy a corded one and just do it outside in front of the house, but there isnt really shade there so I guess I would turn the outside lights on and do it at night.

hondaguy2582
12-07-2002, 11:21 AM
get the pc 7424 at www.coastaltool.com , its 107 bucks and comes with the 5 and 6 inch counterweights plus the velcro backing pad for the pads at cma. This buffer is the exact same as meguiars dual action polisher, but at about 100 bucks less. If i were you, id just use the pc for polishing and glazing, then apply your wax by hand unless you have a liquid wax.

breakneckvtec
12-07-2002, 11:39 AM
Yes, I am in NJ and snow is on the ground :( oh well when it clears out and weather gets warmer I will have a buffer and good products to make her shine like never before. You guys have been great so far. So, explain to me why I should go with a corded one and not a battery powered one. Also any websites for me to go looking, I want the best I can get for a reasonable price, I dont want to spend over 200$.

PakShak
12-07-2002, 11:46 AM
Hello breakneckvtec,

Welcome to Autopia!

Under latest discussions check out "yet another pc question". 4DSC has written a very well detail summary of what the differences are from different model PCs and has links to websites where you can purchase one.

If I only knew how to link to the original thread that 4DSC posted? Anyone can help me with that?

With Aloha,

~Ranney

imported_Dude
12-07-2002, 01:04 PM
You can get good results from polymers like Klasse and Zaino by hand. I still prefer a buffer for applying paint cleaners. I have a PC, but I still apply most waxes and Zaino by hand. Once you have cleaned your paint, in other words, you don`t need a buffer to apply the wax or the sealant.

This gives you the option of borrowing a buffer, or trying a battery powered one becuase you won`t use it very often. I too suspect that the battery powered buffer might be underpowered, but if I were in your position, I`d probably give it a shot- they are not that expensive ($40?).

C. Charles Hahn
12-07-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Shiny Lil Detlr

However to address your second question, I wouldn`t worry about trying to get a battery powered buffer. First of all they (battery powered buffers) are underpowered and cannot correct surface defects nearly as well as a wired one, and will obsolete itself very quickly.

:wavey :wavey :wavey :wavey

and Dude - Meguiars` cordless buffer is selling for 80 bucks.... not that much less than a PC.

breakneckvtec
12-07-2002, 01:49 PM
Now I have heard that with buffers you could actually "burn" your paint and cause it to bubble if its not done right. Anyone care to shed some light on this?

:wavey :wavey :wavey :wavey :wavey

To all of you guys as well, you have all been great so far. Thanks for the help, really great stuff, I am on about page 10 of this thing so far and there is just a ton of info to look at. Wow. Thanks again everyone.

C. Charles Hahn
12-07-2002, 01:55 PM
burning paint is only a real risk with rotary polishers/buffers, not dual action.

shaf
12-07-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by PakShak

If I only knew how to link to the original thread that 4DSC posted? Anyone can help me with that? In my sig. :)

Originally posted by breakneckvtec

Now I have heard that with buffers you could actually "burn" your paint and cause it to bubble if its not done right. Anyone care to shed some light on this? Welcome again. :wavey Yes, you could potentially burn your paint with a rotary buffer that just sits there and spins. A random orbital machine like the PC is way safer and a totally different animal. There have been some really good threads on this, so try searching for "rotary random" or something and see what comes up.

If you want to use some machine at home, that should be perfectly okay. Just wash it at the car wash, then come home and dust and QD it off before starting.

Lots of people here like to use Klasse and Zaino because they both look good and have proven durability. That said, don`t get too caught up in the hype surrounding these products since everything is 90% preparation. Any swirls, oxidation, etc will have to be corrected by hand or machine before applying protection or they`ll still show up later.

mzgloves20
12-07-2002, 05:02 PM
I am by no means a pro detailer, I`m just anal. I have to say that the Coastal Tool deal on the PC is the best price for what you get and with the right SMR the swirls just disappear!!! It is also fool proof!! Get ready for awesome shine!!!!!

The guys on this site know their stuff listen to them!!! I did and I`m glad!!!!

Look what the PC can do for you!!

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/508/3256hood-med.jpg

jcattarulla
12-07-2002, 05:39 PM
BREAKNECK,

OK, by now I assume you realize you need the PC7424 from www.coastaltool.com. Once you get it, go to www.properautocare.com and buy some pads. CMA`s pads ARE different from those sold elsewhere because they are CONCAVE, which has it`s benefits.

Next up is to download the entire ebook, and study it.

Welcome and good luck!

CATTMAN

PS. Use the search function and Autopia University as often as you can because about 90% of your questions already have terrific answers from fellow Autopians.

MnRiverman
12-07-2002, 09:20 PM
Just for clarification... the PC 7424 from CoastalTool.com is $119 with the 6" counter weight and velcro backing, not $109. I just ordered one Tuesday - was supposed to have the buffer here on thursday, and it`s saturday now and it didn`t show up, and I was supposed to SMR my car tomorrow. :mad:

And yes, the pads from CMA are supposidly the best... I read for like 4 hours one day about all the pads and products.... There is too much information on this site! :D