PDA

View Full Version : Is a PC needed

G35C_6MT
12-06-2002, 01:26 PM
For all those who own/use a PC or similar product I have a question:

I own a Silver G35C and use Zaino on it about once a week. I have been reading about the PC and looked at getting one at Lowe`s for $109 and the CMA pads (the velcro backing, lambswool, one grey, two whites, 4 MFs and 1 finisher pad) for about $85. But I have also read about not using the PC with Zaino as reuslts are not impressive. Plus with a silver car and only using it to apply the Z2 and Z6 I am wondering if it is worth the money. If I put on Z2 and 1-2 coats of Z6 weekly, would the PC be worth it - from a time (does the PC take less time than by hand) and effort (does the PC make the work easier than by hand) savings point of view and also an improvement over hand application point of view?

CharlesW
12-06-2002, 02:13 PM
You will probably get a lot of opinions on this and very few of them will agree with me.

I do have a PC, the white pad that came with it, Meguiar`s velcro backer, two Meguiar`s polishing pads, and two of their finishing pads.

I have used it with Meguiar`s #9 2.0 Swirl Remover and the PC and the #9 did an excellent job. The PC is probably needed for most people to get the maximum results from their swirl Remover.

I have used it with AIO. Wasn`t worth the effort. AIO is so easy to apply and remove, I have done it by hand since trying the PC.

My two other regularly used products, Platinum UPP and S100 are also very easy to apply and remove by hand.

If you are going to be removing swirls or working on paint that is in bad shape, the PC is probably a good tool to have. My cars were in good shape to start with and I don`t think I would buy the PC again.

I guess my point is, weigh what you are going to use it for and how often you will use it, against what you will spend on the PC and pads. In my case it is $150+ laying in a drawer most of the time.

Remember, this is just my feelings and I am by no means an expert.

Charles

kg/cm²
12-06-2002, 03:58 PM
Over the summer, I took the plunge and got a PC over at Lowe`s, plus the pads at CMA. Yeah, I spent over $150+ dollars for the supplies (thanks for the influence fellow autopians :xyxthumbs), but in the end I think it`s all worth it. My car used to have swirls, but thanks to the PC, the car is virtually swirl free.

I know that you won`t be removing swirls all the time, but for me it`s always good to know that I have a tool that will remove a swirl that I may get in the future. Plus, living in chicago, it`s only inevitable considering the wonderfully salted roads.

Plus, I`m sure you have other car buddies/freaks -- it gives you a chance to give them a hand in giving them the "looks better than when it rolled off the lot" look.

And lastly, I know I may get flamed, but I personally use the PC w/ grey CMA pad when applying zaino. I think I get excellent results with it. It helps me achieve nice,thin,even coats all over my car -- coupled with the fact that I can put a coat on in roughly half the time with a PC than my arm. Also, I`ve used less zaino with the PC than doing it by hand, but that`s just me...not as skilled as the jedi autopians.

hope this helps.

cheers,

ryan

shaf
12-06-2002, 05:26 PM
I`m not saying much different from the previous 2 posts, but my "should I/shouldn`t I" debate on the PC went sorta like this:

- The PC is handy for fixing swirls, oxidation, and basically helping cars that would be a pain to fix by hand. Does my car need this kind of help?

- Once I fix the paint on my car, are there other cars that I might be using the PC on later as well?

- The PC can be used to simply apply stuff, but it`s not a huge advantage to do so. What am I going to be using for mainly?

In my case, the answer to the first question is a marginal "no" - I could have gotten away with something like hand-DACPing or SMRing next spring. But the answer to the second question was definitely "yes" because I had family and friend`s cars that I`d be detailing as well, and ALL of them were/are in need of PC help.

Basically what I`m saying is that if you have a car in swirl-free or nearly swirl-free, great condition already, and don`t see yourself ever detailing any other cars, then I would say "no" you don`t need a PC, really.

Zaino can be done by PC, but as I understand it there`s not a huge advantage to doing so. I think Showroomlincoln posted a thread about this - try searching for it.

hondaguy2582
12-06-2002, 07:08 PM
use pc for glazes and sealants also bc i think you end up getting tired after applying so many layers. i think if your putting a paste wax on a car, then you should apply it by hand, otherwise, i think applying it on a pc finishing pad and using it would be much faster imo.

tkr128
12-06-2002, 08:22 PM
I`d have to agree with the previous posts. I bought my PC because I had swirls on my car. Since your car is new and is silver, it shouldn`t have too many swirls. As long as you take care not to introduce swirls into the paint, there really isn`t a reason to get the PC. I use mine once in a great while when I need to "buff" the paint.

As for applying Zaino, It really isn`t neccessary. Zaino is already pretty easy on and off. I think people have had good luck with applying with a PC, but I like applying by hand. It`s a matter of personal preference. There are some places on the car where a PC will not reach, so you will still need to do them by hand. You`ll be washing an extra applicator if you do that. You definately don`t need a PC to use Z6 with.

If you have swirls, get the PC to remove them, if not, take care of your paint and hope you don`t get swirls, or you will need one.

Once again, it`s a matter of personal preference. It doesn`t take me more than 10 minutes to to the whole car by hand. If you feel you will save time by using the PC, get it, if not, no need to.

I hope this helps you with your decision.

G35C_6MT
12-06-2002, 09:14 PM
Thanks guys,

All the information is great. It will just come down to flipping a coin I think :). The dilemna is I have a white 2002 WRX and a silver 2003 G35. Both light colors and in excellent paint condition. I use Zaino with both and both look awesome, but the cycle of wash, z6 - z2 - z6, clean glass, and interior takes about 2 hours with about 20 minutes to 2 hours time for z2 to dry, depending on the weather here in Phoenix. It is not hard work, Zaino goes on easy and comes off easy, but like kg said, it might make the application more even/less wasteful and cleaner. So I just have to decide is the almost $200 for the pc and pads worth the price of finding out the answer...

C. Charles Hahn
12-06-2002, 09:21 PM
are you using ZFX with your Z2?? if not, you might consider purchasing it... 20 bucks versus 200 might be more worth it to you, for me it cuts drying time per-coat to ~30 minutes, if not less (I`ve had it dry as quick as 10-15 minutes) :up

CharlesW
12-07-2002, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by G35C_6MT

So I just have to decide is the almost $200 for the pc and pads worth the price of finding out the answer...

Put your location in your profile.

You might find another member in your area that has a PC. If you do, maybe the two of you could get together and try it. Buy him a new pad for the use. Maybe lunch.

Charles :xyxthumbs

ultrajim49
12-09-2002, 04:12 AM
A PC : Yes or No

I do agree with all the above ,

but I would like to add that a PC can be used for more than that.

I bought my ROB not only to funtion as an "electric arm for helping detailing my car" but allso as a random orbit sander.

I`m the lucky owner of a house with lots of woodwork , so the ROB-sander will come in handy there.

Just my thoughts

Christiaan

:wavey :wavey