PDA

View Full Version : House Paint specks on entire jeep.

feelsfast
07-28-2004, 07:52 AM
I have a client bringing in a 99 Grand cherokee with paint spots all over it from when he painted his house. He says its spotted all over what do you guys use to remove this type of stuff. He feels it needs to be wet sanded but I have only wet sanded my own vehicle in the past and would rather not practice on his jeep. I will personally see the vehicle today and I really need a good plan of attack. I`ll be checking the forum periodically through the day so any ideas you may have please let me know. The vehicle is black with light colored paint spots.

JaredPointer
07-28-2004, 08:00 AM
Maybe you could try clay followed by one of the SSRs if you have them. I guess it could depend on the type of paint that got on the car as well. Some may be tougher to get off than others, but I am not sure about that one. Hope you can get it clean!!

andriver
07-28-2004, 08:16 AM
Try clay first followed by a cleaning polish.

EBPcivicsi
07-28-2004, 08:27 AM
Last year I did a black suburban that was parked in the driveway while painters sprayed his brick. The truck had khaki paint EVERYWHERE!! By the time I got it the paint had been on there for about two weeks(this was in the summer). Oddly enough clay removed all of it. It takes a little patience and a bit more elbow grease, but it all came off.

FWIW, I used two full bars for the truck. I usually use about 1/4 on a normal sized car. The paint comes off in tiny chunks that can mar the paint if the clay is not "refreshed" often. I don`t think it is that big of a deal, but may cause for a bit more aggressive polishing post clay. Good luck!

kimwallace
07-28-2004, 08:33 AM
If clay doesn`t work and if the paint on the Jeep is Base Coat/Clear Coat, then Lacquer thinner will remove the spots. Be careful around plastic body parts though.
Lacquer thinner will not harm BC/CC finishes however a good waxing will be needed.

freedre
07-28-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by kimwallace

Lacquer thinner will not harm BC/CC finishes

Yes it will.

Laquer thinner is paint REMOVER. The most potent there is,next to hydrofluoric acid.

Leave it sit for 5 minutes and see what you get.

kimwallace
07-28-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by freedre
Yes it will.

Laquer thinner is paint REMOVER. The most potent there is,next to hydrofluoric acid.

Leave it sit for 5 minutes and see what you get.

I can only speak from experience ...
I have used lacquer thinner on modern clear coat finishes numerous times without any problem.
You are correct it is a remover when used on top of lacquer or enamel paint.
Most catalyst cured acrylic enamels and clear coats will not be harmed by it though.
As always, proceed carefully and do a spot that is out of sight to test whatever you use to remove the spots.
I have had more adverse paint reactions using Goof-Off than I have lacquer thinner.

denverdetail
07-28-2004, 08:22 PM
If clay is not cutting it for you, I agree with kim. Use a remover like lacquer thinner or Goof-Off. Personally I use Goof Off. I think that stuff rocks. I`ve never had Goof-Off harm any kind of paint after doing hundreds of cars. I even use it on single stage paints if I have to. Though lacquer thinner is more harsh than Goof-Off, both are good alternatives for your overspray problem.

feelsfast
07-28-2004, 09:22 PM
Hey thanks for the replies. I used the clay on one fender and it took a little while but he`s bringing it this weekend so I can complete it. I also need a little advice on pricing this kind of job. He usually pays 125 monthly with a 10-25 dollar tip i was gonna tell him 225 since its more then double my usual work and will be taking the entire saturday to complete.

stainbuster
07-28-2004, 10:17 PM
Clay bar.

Gray latex house paint baked on for 2 weeks:

stainbuster
07-28-2004, 10:18 PM
after:

stainbuster
07-28-2004, 10:23 PM
Complete:

I used Clay Magic (red),

Machine polish with Stereo #2, blue Edge foam,

PC w/ white Edge and Awesome gloss

Meg`s Carnuba paste by hand

Good luck, feelsfast!

Edit: Eewww, :( low res crappy pics; they`re almost 2 years ago, old digicam):dunno

MMarky
07-30-2004, 11:37 PM
Does Lacquer thinner have adverse effects on microfiber towels? I am tempted to try this technique for the overspray job I am doing now.

Mmarky