PDA

View Full Version : Emiron Paint

ryeh2o
12-04-2002, 11:12 AM
After 30 some pages on " Paint search" i have not found a thing on this type of paint. I have been told that it is used on long haul trucks because of it`s durability. I have been batting the idea around of using the clear coat version of this stuff on the car. If it is as bullet proof as touted, my thinking is it would hold up to buffing(pc) and other commen contaminants much better than regular clear coats.

I would like to know if any of you have ever worked on this type of paint, and if so, your thoughts?

Thanks

Riccar
12-04-2002, 11:29 AM
this type of paint was out since the mid-seventies (if it is the one i am thinking of). It was a clear coaat system also. problem was the clear coat was not flexible and when the paint cured and aged, it would develop surface cracks from heat expansion and contraction.

Scottwax
12-04-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by ryeh2o

After 30 some pages on " Paint search" i have not found a thing on this type of paint. I have been told that it is used on long haul trucks because of it`s durability. I have been batting the idea around of using the clear coat version of this stuff on the car. If it is as bullet proof as touted, my thinking is it would hold up to buffing(pc) and other commen contaminants much better than regular clear coats.

I would like to know if any of you have ever worked on this type of paint, and if so, your thoughts?

Thanks

Maybe if you searched under the proper spelling of Imron? It is very tough paint, but like Jon pointed out, it ended up being too hard and became brittle over time.

ryeh2o
12-04-2002, 11:56 AM
Thanks Scottwax for the correct spelling. As you can see, i`m not familiar with the product. I have found it in the search area now and will continue reading. It`s not as if i didn`t try searching first.

Scottwax
12-04-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by ryeh2o

Thanks Scottwax for the correct spelling. As you can see, i`m not familiar with the product. I have found it in the search area now and will continue reading. It`s not as if i didn`t try searching first.

Understood. It seems to be one of the few words that is actually spelled like it sounds! I just figured the correct spelling would assist in a google search if you want more in depth information.

Accordian
12-09-2002, 06:50 PM
I do believe Imron is still in use but under certain controlled conditions (filtered spray booths, for example). Our RV has Imron paint on it and I believe the company (located in environmentally conscious CA) is still using it on their current models.

Andre'
12-10-2002, 05:03 AM
I`ve used DuPonts Imron several times. It`s one of the most durable paints ever made. It does hold up to buffing well "PC or rotary. It also has it`s drawbacks, poor gloss retention and a limited color selection. Your best bet is to use a modern paint system from PPG or Dupont.