PDA

View Full Version : Need to do some sanding this week, good polishing compound?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Paintxpert
12-03-2002, 03:53 PM
Hi,

My car has had quite a few touchups in the past and I want to sand them all out this week if possible.

When I last tried this I used 3M 9-Micron Abrasive Disc and it took flipping ages but I assumed it to be the safest way since its the finest grade?

THe only thing is - one certain parts there is hazing which I cant get rid of with Autoglym SR polish :(

Ive looked to 3M but they dont do any of the hand applied products that I need. The only really do Perfect-IT hand glaze which I understand isnt really suited to this task.

What would the Autoglym paint renovator be like as this is more abrasive than SR?

Other than this, there is nothing I can use to buff out the hazing :nixweiss

Bobby G
12-03-2002, 04:08 PM
Any rubbing compound designed to remove 1500 to 2000 grit scratches will do the trick. Autoglym paint renovator falls into that category, as does 3M Fine Rubbing Compound, Meg Scratch-X and Eagle One Scratch Remover. Follow with a good hand polish, like 3M Perfect-It SMR.

db

Paintxpert
12-03-2002, 04:14 PM
Thanks David :xyxthumbs

It will have to be either Autoglym PR or Scratch X as we dont get any of the good products over here in the UK.

I have contacted Meguiars over there pro line but they dont seem to want to know :nono

Richt
12-03-2002, 04:53 PM
Megs didnt want to know , really????

ultrajim49
12-04-2002, 03:12 AM
Hi, Nick:

3M should be widely available.

The 3M Perfect-it III fine cut compound is build for the job

Paintxpert
12-04-2002, 06:23 AM
Yep Meguiars dont seem to want my business. At the end of the day, if its the consumer line/pro line/etc its a sale for Meguiars so who cares which line it is :nixweiss

I contacted my local 3M distribtors and the only products they hold are the machine compounds :nono

I might give them a try again today to see if they can get hold of the Perfect-It hand rubbing compound.

Paintxpert
12-04-2002, 06:28 AM
Quick question before I start tonight:

Do I need to clean the area I am sanding? With dishwash perhaps?

For lubrication I was previously using warm water. Should I add some dishwash/Meguiars GC to this?

Thanks.

ultrajim49
12-04-2002, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by NickATRvtec

Quick question before I start tonight:

Do I need to clean the area I am sanding? With dishwash perhaps?

For lubrication I was previously using warm water. Should I add some dishwash/Meguiars GC to this?

Thanks.

Yes , please, wash the area with regular carwash, maybe a good idea to clay the area before sanding.

Don`t bother with detergent, the sanding will take away everything .

Put the sandingpaper in the water-carwash mix now and let sit `till tonight.

Warm water and Gold Class is fine

edit:

If you can afford the time , this is interresting:

http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/?page=color_sanding

Good luck

May we expect pictures?

Christiaan

Richt
12-04-2002, 07:20 AM
Nick who did you speak to a meguiars???? I am about to place and ordere for pro line stuff, ie some swirl free polish, some no 20 poly sealent and some more final inspection. I hope there not gonna say they cant sell me proline stufff any more. The gave me a full catologue at a show thi years and said anything in it they will sort out.

Paintxpert
12-04-2002, 07:54 AM
Excellent Christian, many thanks for that info :xyxthumbs

I`ll get some piccies done over the next few days showing stages of the sanding for different size blobs :xyxthumbs :)

Rich - cant remember his name but he was the only person in when I rang Saturday morning. I emailed their sales address and have had no response :(

Let me know how u get on if you ring RIch :up

Richt
12-04-2002, 08:00 AM
Will let you know.

Never had probs before, i always ring mondays to friday 9 till 5 though.

Paintxpert
12-04-2002, 08:50 AM
Cheers Rich, success with 3M at last!

It seems you get a difference result everytime you approach these big companies :rolleyes: :)

Just bought a roll of 100 32mm 9 micron discs for £18.52 and the Perfect-It fine rubbing compound for £13.97 :bounce

Richt
12-04-2002, 09:12 AM
Nice one. Happy sanding!

Cant wait for the MFs to come!

Paintxpert
12-04-2002, 09:19 AM
Me too!

The Blitz wax came today as well, I cant wait for Saturday.

Hopefully all the blobs will be gone and my car will be looking perfect :bow

Fingers crossed I do a good job tonight (and tomorrow night and Fri... ;) :p )

Richt
12-04-2002, 09:58 AM
Good luck mate. Enjoy the Blitz, i use mine occasionally, think ive spoilt myself with the p21s though! The shines about the same, just no waiting for it to haze, Much prefer the blitz to my megs 26 though, and we can get it here in the UK!