PDA

View Full Version : Qucik Porter-Cable Question before I buy... (Already Searched)

Pages : [1] 2 3

MnRiverman
12-03-2002, 02:31 PM
I read two awesome reviews and how-to`s found here (http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/detailing/forum.php?postid=1430487&page=1) and here (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14421&perpage=18&highlight=Porter%20Cable&pagenumber=1).

I was looking at ProperAutoCare.com and also Coastal Tool and there is a slight price difference.

My main question is if I get the $119.00 7424 polisher/Bonus Kit with the 6" counterweight and 6" velcro adapter (#18002) can I use the foam pads from ProperAutoCare or do I have to buy their Ultimate detailing machine which is the same thing for 30 bucks more without the 6" counterweight?

That`s my question. :) Thanks!

imported_Aurora40
12-03-2002, 02:35 PM
It`s all velcro. Are you asking if one company`s velcro pads will attach to another company`s velcro plate? This will work fine. Or are you asking if the counterweight is compatible? At the worst, you`ll have some vibration. My best counterweight advice is probably try it and see. There is no exact formula for the counterweights with plates and pads.

MnRiverman
12-03-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Aurora40

It`s all velcro. Are you asking if one company`s velcro pads will attach to another company`s velcro plate? This will work fine.

Nope, that`s all I was asking.

I just don`t see where there is an 18001 and an 18002.

But, if that`s the case, the 7424 from CT looks like a much better deal than the one from ProperAutoCare.com.

Mindflux
12-03-2002, 03:16 PM
What I did.

I bought the PC 7424 from Lowes.

It came with a foam white pad, some sanding pads and I believe a 6inch counter weight (since the pad was 6 inches) ?

Then I bought the DAP-KIT. From CMA. It had the velcro backing plate, two white pads application pads, a yellow cutting pad and a black buffing pad a lambswool pad and two terry bonnets.

I dont use the terry bonnets or lambswool pad, but for 49.95 it`s the shizzle!

:up

Once you got that you`ll be the king cheese

MnRiverman
12-03-2002, 03:21 PM
From what I`ve read, the 7424 is supposed to come with the 5" counter weight, but sometimes they came with a 6" (maybe a newer production thing?).

In that case, maybe I`ll just go to lowes?

You know what, you all are giving me too many options! :D

Mindflux
12-03-2002, 03:22 PM
That`s what we`re here for.

Even if you get the PC7424 with the 5" counter weight, you`ll get a little more vibration. If it bothers you, spend 5 bux on a 6" counter weight at your local PorterCable service center.

MnRiverman
12-03-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Mindflux

That`s what we`re here for.

Even if you get the PC7424 with the 5" counter weight, you`ll get a little more vibration. If it bothers you, spend 5 bux on a 6" counter weight at your local PorterCable service center.

So let`s see.....

Lowes: $110 + $49.95 (DAP-KIT) = $160 (possibly $2 if I need the counterweight)

CT: $120 + $20 (white and yellow pad) = $140

So I can spend 20 more and get more pads......

Eh.

Mindflux
12-03-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by adg44

So let`s see.....

Lowes: $110 + $49.95 (DAP-KIT) = $160 (possibly $2 if I need the counterweight)

CT: $120 + $20 (white and yellow pad) = $140

So I can spend 20 more and get more pads......

Eh.

I dunno if the `eh` was negative or not. Either way you`re getting a great machine. Just remember, the white is an application pad, the yellow is a cutting pad (for your SMR and DACP etc). You don`t have a buffing pad, which isn`t a bad thing if you just want to do it by hand with a Microfiber towel.

When I bought mine I don`t think CT was doing that special, so mine was the next best thing :D

Edit: I just realised the DAP-KIT doesn`t have the Velcro backing plate, but the DM-KIT does. That`s 59.99

MnRiverman
12-03-2002, 03:46 PM
That`s what I thought..... so it`s now a $30 difference...

I only really need the yellow and the white... I may just go with the one from CT.

MnRiverman
12-03-2002, 04:23 PM
Ok, I just ordered it from Coastal Tool - really nice guys. For $125 shipped I couldn`t pass that up.

Now to order a yellow and white pad from ProperAutoCare and I`ll be set. :)

Thanks for all your help guys!

Mindflux
12-03-2002, 04:28 PM
:up You can use meguiar`s pads too. It`s all about preference. My CMA pads seem great though!

You can get two white pads and one yellow for 24.95 directly from meguiars + shipping.

The two cma pads are like 10 bux a pop right.. I dunno I guess i`m a contientious purchaser ;)

turnipgreen
12-03-2002, 04:46 PM
I`ve got a DeWalt 443 on the way (random orbit with 6 inch velcro backing plate) from Amazon for $139 and free shipping. Now you guys are making buying pads seem too difficult.

imported_Aurora40
12-04-2002, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Mindflux

:up You can use meguiar`s pads too. It`s all about preference. My CMA pads seem great though!

You can get two white pads and one yellow for 24.95 directly from meguiars + shipping.

The two cma pads are like 10 bux a pop right.. I dunno I guess i`m a contientious purchaser ;)

Yes, this is a great pad deal. You can toss in a backing plate too. I think it`s like $6 from Meguiar`s. It`s the W-64 DA. Plus, you may be able to find them locally to save on shipping.

Oh, the colors don`t mean the same. The Meg`s pads are two polishing pads (for things like SMR or glazes or even all-in-ones) and one finishing pad (for whatever protectant).

CharlesW
12-04-2002, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Aurora40

Yes, this is a great pad deal. You can toss in a backing plate too. I think it`s like $6 from Meguiar`s. It`s the W-64 DA. Plus, you may be able to find them locally to save on shipping.

If you find that deal, the $6 for the W-64DA is a steal. Mine cost me between $15 and $20, (don`t remember for sure), locally.

The three pad package is OK, but by the time you pay shipping, it`s about the same as buying them locally.

Charles

jdog1988
12-04-2002, 10:44 AM
I was told that the 6" counterweight does not make that much difference. I bought a PC from CMA a year or so ago. I order from them about once a month and I asked about the counterweight.

If you feel that the counterweight makes that much difference CMA sells the counterweight for $2.00.