PDA

View Full Version : Expelled the Carrera

Brad B
12-02-2002, 03:55 PM
Well, Xpel`d it to be precise. Finally got around to getting the front end done. Had the kit lying around the house for a month but kept putting it off. What a horrible job. Much more difficult than the S4. The compound curves and shapes plus the fact that I felt the kit could have been designed better than it was. All in all it turned out ok but I am not 100% thrilled with it. There are a couple squeege marks or stretch marks that still show. It covers virtually every square inch of the nose and air dam. (I had previously done the headlights and fog lamps) I didn`t put it on the hood. I think in total it was a 7+ hour install. Geez! :(

http://www.fototime.com/0CB81CB742E35C6/standard.jpg

msmcdon
12-02-2002, 04:10 PM
Looks good though, Brad and I`m sure you will appreciate it in the long run.

:up

Brad B
12-02-2002, 04:17 PM
At two feet away it is invisible.

I came in crabbing to my wife and she was all consoling and telling me we could get a new kit and start over and trying to make me feel better and all. Then we went out to the garage and she took one look and then she turned around and rolled her eyes, told me to get a life and went back in the house! I instantly lost all signs of her feeling sorry for me. I guess in a backwards sort of way that`s a compliment.:nixweiss

msmcdon
12-02-2002, 04:29 PM
LOL! Sounds surprisingly like my wife. I end up complaining about something and 95% of her body language is consolling, but I can see that 5% in her eyes that say "you are a total freak...!"

:rolleyes: I guess I am!

Taxlady
12-02-2002, 04:31 PM
LOL STC. Yes, it`s a backwards compliment. It must look good in real life, not just in the photo.

Bobby G
12-02-2002, 04:34 PM
Brad... the kit looked pretty crazy to me with lots of odd shapes. Still, my S2 needs it. I`m going to repaint the front first to repair the road stone damage, then install the Xpel kit. We need an installation pictorial.

Hey, I know, tell your wife you need to remove your kit so you can take pictures! :nono

C. Charles Hahn
12-02-2002, 04:35 PM
7+ HOURS?!?!?!?!!!!! holy crap.....

but from the pic you posted, looks pretty good...

Brad B
12-02-2002, 04:37 PM
I had the camera ready and was going to take pics but about 5 minutes into it, it was "screw Autopia"! :D :D

Bobby G
12-02-2002, 05:32 PM
Such language! :eek:

F1Crazy
12-02-2002, 06:49 PM
I`m thinking about installing the kit on my new bimmer, but don`t like that line going across the hood. Is this why you didn`t put it on your hood?

7 + hours!!! I think I`ll pay to get it done, but you did a good job!

Brad B
12-02-2002, 08:08 PM
Yes, that line across the hood is exactly what I don`t like as well. But I also note that the odds are significantly less that a chip will happen up on the top of the hood so I am taking that risk and leaving the hood exposed.

The S4 has been running that way for two years so far and the Xpel has paid for itself many times over of the leading edge of the bumper but so far no chips on the top of the hood. Fingers still crossed.:rolleyes:

F1Crazy
12-02-2002, 08:35 PM
I must be cursed, I got my hood chipped in the middle on 2nd day of ownership. It is very small but it sure hurts when I think about it. I also broke windshields on all my cars...

BTW how do you take care of your x-pel kit? I guess you can wax it but no abrasives, right?

Brad B
12-03-2002, 09:06 AM
Occasional wax is about all I do.:up