PDA

View Full Version : Hand verses Pc polishing

Pages : [1] 2

50th yr
12-01-2002, 07:05 PM
I am still working by hand to rid myself of fine swirls the dealer prep left me on my new 2003 Anniversary corvette. So far I have come to the conclusion that trying to use something like smr by hand is not possible. Also the layering of Zaino seems to be of little help. I had thought about a pc however I got to reading my owners manual and it says not to use one as it will dull the finish. For you that are unaware of the paint they are using for this car it is something new for GM and is the softest paint ever. This is something GM wanted to be spectactular for their 50th year, and it is something special. Does anyone know if its possible to strip off all polish and wax and put more coats of Clear Coat? If so could any paint shop do this? Thanks

Ron

C. Charles Hahn
12-01-2002, 07:11 PM
I wouldn`t mess with adding more clearcoat to it, personally... you don`t need to.

Also understand that the owner`s manual is saying a polisher will dull the finish, likely when referring to a rotary polisher, not a dual action like the PC. I would highly doubt you could do any dammage with a PC unless you left it running at speed 6 in one spot for 5 minutes straight without moving it.

If it were me, I would get a PC and try it out. Just go easy at first and see where the "minimum necessary power/pad/compound combination" is. :up

imported_Intel486
12-01-2002, 07:17 PM
I tried some Meguiar`s DACP out today by hand on some medium oxidation on a red mustang. It took it out and left the paint crystal clear. How about getting some of it to try out? It will have more cutting power than the 3m SMR. B/t I`ve tried SMR by hand and by rotary and it doesn`t work woth $h!t. Get some Meguiar`s #9. That stuff will leave little oil on the paint and will make it crystal clear

You can then sell the rest of the Zaino on ebay and pick up a bottle of Klasse AIO and Klasse SG :)

After you get your vette swirl free you can then sell it on ebay and buy a 2003 Cobra. :D

C. Charles Hahn
12-01-2002, 07:19 PM
or keep the Z..... :rolleyes: ;) (wouldn`t want to throw away the optical clarity of that beautiful gold-flecked metallic paint, now would ya??)

and... umm.... 03 cobra?? In lieu of a 50th anniversary special edition corvette?? curb your tongue!!

50th yr
12-01-2002, 08:39 PM
LOL

Thanks for the Suggestions. You Guys are great. I think I will just keep the Vette. The Magnetic Selective Ride control is something that you need to experience. The 390 corbra is nice. Heard nothen but nice things about it.

Ron

imported_Intel486
12-01-2002, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Shiny Lil Detlr

and... umm.... 03 cobra?? In lieu of a 50th anniversary special edition corvette?? curb your tongue!!

The 03` cobras dyno at like 360 hp at the rear wheels... so yhea, I`d take the most powerful cobra of this body design over the 50th anniversay corvette :)

Redcar GUY
12-01-2002, 09:10 PM
50th, Do you have a car you can try the PC on before you try it on the C5? Maybe that would help you to feel better:) I know how you feel, I was the same way. Now I love that PC :)

50th yr
12-01-2002, 09:38 PM
Thats a great idea. I have a 2001 quicksilver corvette as well as my new one. ( I gave it to the wife ) The problem is that finish has no swirls that I can find. I never took special care when washing or waxing it. It seems to be a very hard finish. I never ran it through a machine wash only washed by hand but never took care as to what kinda wash cloth I used. Always just chamyied it dry. I never got into detailing until now.

Redcar GUY
12-01-2002, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by 50th yr

Thats a great idea. I have a 2001 quicksilver corvette as well as my new one.

Sheesh Sux to be you:rolleyes: :p I was thinking more like somthing worth less than $50 grand! LOL

C. Charles Hahn
12-01-2002, 09:51 PM
hey 50th, better get the wife`s permission before experimenting with her toy, huh?? :p

but other than that it might make an okay practice tool... learning the PC is quite a quick proposition, you get good at it quick if you read up and watch the technique videos first.

BTW, I dont remember if you said but is your 03 the vert or coupe version?

C. Charles Hahn
12-01-2002, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Redcar GUY

Sheesh Sux to be you:rolleyes: :p I was thinking more like somthing worth less than $50 grand! LOL

an `01?? Probably worth more like 40 grand by now :D :D

50th yr
12-01-2002, 10:01 PM
My Anniversary is a 6 speed coupe. Which pc is the one I need to get? I take it there is more than one model.http://www.geocities.com/MadisonAvenue/7791

Andre'
12-01-2002, 10:15 PM
Got to love silver, it hides swirls and scratches like a champ.

I`m very skeptical of any info GM gives out to the public, it`s often incorrect and misleading. I bet the clear on your Vett is as hard as any clear on the market, GM loves hype. Get your PC, a good swirlmark remover and start polishing. :cool: If you did no harm by hand you will do no harm with the PC.

bigpoppa
12-01-2002, 10:28 PM
50th - here`s a link that may be of interest to you - we were just discussing fine scratch and swirl removal via PC and hand.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=442309

I agree that silver is one of the best colors for hiding scratches/swirls. I have a white `01 vette, and it shows next to no flaws. They are there under the right light though, no matter how careful you are.

C. Charles Hahn
12-01-2002, 10:31 PM
my oh my.... now THAT is a beautiful car.... except - where are the gold wheels??