PDA

View Full Version : First attempt using my new PC (long)

offcenter
12-01-2002, 01:39 PM
Yesterday I used my PC for the first time. I bought the PC primarily to improve the paint condition on my wife`s ‘98 Accord. The car is white, no clear coat and had oxidation on the roof and hood and lots of scratches. My goal was to remove the oxidation and scratches and put some Klasse on it.

Well, I started out at 8 AM, the first thing I did was put the 6†counterweight in and put on the 6" Hook & Loop Contour Pad. I started with the Yellow pad from Buff and Shine (http://www.buffandshine.com/index.html), I sprayed some water on the pad and put a small amount of Power Prep from Top of the Line on the hood. I gently spread the Power Prep with the yellow pad and then turned the PC on. Well, I’m not sure if i had too much Power Prep or if I did not use the PC long enough but it did not seem to do much but leave a haze on the surface. I wiped with a MF and used some Eagle One Wipe and Shine but the surface looked bad. I decided to switch to Meguiars Deep Crystal paint cleaner and a new yellow pad. Well, again the results weren’t very good, the oxidation remained and I had already spent an hour and made no progress. Now I switched to a Buff and Shine gray pad (which is like the CMA white pad)and used 3M SMR for light color paint. Now we were getting somewhere! I buffed with the PC speed on 5-6 and waited `til I saw a fine white powder. When I used the MF to wipe the surface, alas there was a nice reflective surface free of oxidation! I did the entire car with SMR and the paint was looking much better. Still the scratches remained but at this point, I did not know how to remove them and the hours were going by. I then used clay magic and the associated lube and a lot of junk still came off on the clay! Now the surface was looking even better but scratches were still noticeable. I washed off all the residue and dried the car. I put a clean gray pad on the PC and began to apply the Klasse AIO. All I can say it that it was so easy to apply and the results were amazing! The best part was that AIO did not stain the black trim or molding and I could even polish the windows with AIO. I guess what I am saying is that for a PC beginner, AIO is a forgiving product because you can get a little sloppy and not worry about masking molding, etc. It was pretty easy to remove the AIO with a MF and some more EO Wipe and Shine.

When I took the car out in the sun, the paint now was reflective and had a nice gloss with no oxidation. I finally finished at 2:30 PM and was pretty tired. Overall, a good learning experience and I am really liking my PC 7424! Any suggestions would be appreciated. This was my first attempt to detail a car with some major paint problems. Without the PC, I would probably be dead by now from all the rubbing and hand polishing. :eek: