PDA

View Full Version : Layering Klasse... slickness/smoothness

schoi
11-30-2002, 09:12 PM
Just did layer no. 2 of SG after washing my car. Have any other Klasse users noticed that, because the paint isn`t AIO`ed before layering, the subsequent coats of SG leave the paint smooth but NOT slick?

Just checking. ;)

PerfectionDetailing
11-30-2002, 09:50 PM
Yes, I must have about 8-9 layers of SG on my car and I did realize this. I used AIO on a fender since it had gotten some road gunk on it and noticed how smooth it felt. It made me want to go over the entire car, but I didnt. My car will turn one on Jan 30th so the paint is fairly new.

imported_Aurora40
12-01-2002, 09:35 AM
Very interesting. My sister and brother-in-law bought a new Explorer about two months ago. He was taking it out of town for a while, so they wanted to get some quick protection on it. I didn`t have time to AIO and SG, so I just washed it and put some SG on. The surface didn`t feel very slick, so I just figured it needed to be clayed (which it still probably does because the front is sort of gritty while the sides are smooth). I was used to it feeling real slick, but I`ve always used it on top of AIO. So maybe that`s why the sides felt smooth, but not slick. That`s really interesting.

Andre'
12-01-2002, 04:06 PM
I always use AIO before SG, i think it helps prep the finish for the SG. I always have better results using AIO+SG, i think it helps the SG to bond better.

schoi
12-01-2002, 04:17 PM
Very true. Problem is, AIO will strip SG (right?), so you can`t layer SG by doing that, although I would rather go that way, too. Three more coats or so, and then I`m gonna top with P21S and use that whenever it needs it.

I`m still a little worried about whether the AIO I used a few weeks ago really did strip the wax I had on the car... I`m sure it did, but because it left the surface feeling like it was waxed, I got all worried about that. :bounce

Andre'
12-01-2002, 04:42 PM
Yes AIO will strip SG. What i was trying to say is that i always start off with AIO than i lay on the SG. I only go back to AIO when i need to clean or strip every thing off the finish.

And yes the AIO did remove all of the old wax that was on the your finish, AIO is a very good cleaner.:)

schoi
12-01-2002, 04:48 PM
lol my bad. Yeah, I started with AIO too. Good stuff. :p