PDA

View Full Version : Waxing for Winter...have a delima...HELP!

cspoly
11-29-2002, 10:57 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

I got a problem I need some advise. My last detail was back in early October when the weather was still unseasonally warm here in NYC.

I was hoping to get 1 more in b4 winter....winter is HERE and I didn`t have time.

The car has #20 with a #26 paste topper on it. The beads are getting larger, but the car still feals slick.

I`d like to do a quick waxing to provide more durable protection that the #26........however I don;t think I can apply #20 without removing any #26 residue first......correct?

What options do I have......I will essentially be taking the car to a self serve car wash and then apply a wax in 1 step.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

George

Jngrbrdman
11-29-2002, 11:04 AM
The problem with sealants is that once you start putting wax on top of them then your layering days are over. If you want to put another layer of #20 on then you would have to strip off all the #26 in order for it to bond properly. The #20 should be good enough to protect your car through the winter. #20 is a good 4+ month product I think. You could probably just put another layer of #26 on and call it good for the winter. Unless you find a nice warm day to do a Dawn wash and then redo it all over again... I think you`ll be fine with just another layer of #26.

cspoly
11-29-2002, 11:06 AM
Thanks.

I`m hoping for a warmer day in the next week. If I get lucky I may even get a warm day every 1-2 months through the winter.

Have a good day

George

Jngrbrdman
11-29-2002, 11:07 AM
No problem.

P.S. Check your PMs.

imported_Intermezzo
11-29-2002, 12:15 PM
Wouldn`t the MILD cleaning agents in #20 negate any bonding problems the #26 topper would normally cause? Furthermore, I would think that since the #26 layer is probably on its last legs, you really don`t need much cleaning power to wipe it out.

Jngrbrdman
11-29-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Intermezzo

Wouldn`t the MILD cleaning agents in #20 negate any bonding problems the #26 topper would normally cause? Furthermore, I would think that since the #26 layer is probably on its last legs, you really don`t need much cleaning power to wipe it out.

I was thinking that, but I didn`t want to appear to be saying that #20 was a cleaner. I`m thinking that the #20 still has a couple months left in it and to layer it isn`t really that neccessary. You are right though. It would probably make short work of whatever #26 is still hanging around.

I`m sure we`ve had this topic kicking around before. There was some disccusion awhile back about how effective layering #20 could really be because of its MILD cleaning properties. I can`t remember what was decided. Does anyone remember if we determined how much cleaning power #20 really has?

VetteToVair
11-29-2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

I was thinking that, but I didn`t want to appear to be saying that #20 was a cleaner. I`m thinking that the #20 still has a couple months left in it and to layer it isn`t really that neccessary. You are right though. It would probably make short work of whatever #26 is still hanging around.

I`m sure we`ve had this topic kicking around before. There was some disccusion awhile back about how effective layering #20 could really be because of its MILD cleaning properties. I can`t remember what was decided. Does anyone remember if we determined how much cleaning power #20 really has?

i`ve noticed that #20 has almost no cleaning power if used with light pressure. i`ve layered #20 and i believe it was successful based on looks alone. i know of several others who have noticed a difference between coats 1 and 2. some said that it was because the additional cleaning of another coat but i think that`s just BS. in my opinion, #20 with light pressure would remove the dying #26 but not the existing #20 layer.