PDA

View Full Version : DIY Detailing show - made me squirm

Scott301
11-27-2002, 11:27 AM
Hello all.

I was just flipping the channels and came across the DIY Car Care detailing episode where that lady is showing you how to detail your car. I was squirming when she was instructing everyone to use circular motions when applying the polish and wax. Funny thing was before she started waxing, she washed it and pulled it into a garage. The lights showed tons of scratches on the car before she started polishing and waxing. Sorry, but I had to vent. :D

Brad

imported_Aurora40
11-27-2002, 12:05 PM
I still don`t see any problem with this. If I`m applying a product by hand, it is much easier with circular motions. When I use straight lines, the product doesn`t get as good coverage. There is nothing inherently scratchy about circles versus lines. Your pad shouldn`t be scratching, period. If you are scratching, I don`t think linear scratches are somehow preferable to circular ones. Just my opinion, though. I can just imagine some of the things they must show them doing on a TV car care show, though...

Poorboy
11-27-2002, 12:40 PM
Well I have to agree with both of you to an extent. Polishing should be done in a back and forth manner, this is because you are working into the finish. Waxing is easier to apply in circles but I always wipe off back and forth. Reason being is that we are humans and not perfect all it takes is one small piece of dirt or grit to leave very undesirable marks. If you work small sections at a time back and forth is no harder. Saw that show, but only for a couple minutes .(makes my hair go:scared )

chris0626
11-27-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Aurora40

I still don`t see any problem with this. If I`m applying a product by hand, it is much easier with circular motions. When I use straight lines, the product doesn`t get as good coverage. There is nothing inherently scratchy about circles versus lines.

Though my experience with real detailing is still pretty limited, I gotta agree with Aurora40. In fact, my Zaino distributor specifically recommended spreading Z2 initially in circles in order to get better, more thorough, and thinner coverage, but to finish off in straight lines for the optics properties. Of course, as everybody says, the big issue is there cannot be a speck of dust or other abrasive in the pad/cloth.

HellrotCi
11-27-2002, 02:10 PM
I thought the main reason to work in a straight line was to minimize the visual appearance of any scratches that may be caused by polishing/buffing. What I mean is, if you work in a straight line on your hood, from the windshield to the grill, and cause any scratches, they should be less noticeable from the side. Or said in another way if you work in a straight line that would be 90° from the normal visual viewing position, the scratches should be less noticeable. By polishing in a circular motion, any scratches that may be created would have a wider degree of visibility. This is one reason that the instructions on the Zaino site advocates applying Zaino on the sides using an up and down motion, rather than a front to the rear motion.

I guess the theory is that cars are generally viewed from the side so any scratches may not be so noticeable. The next time you look at someone`s car, approach it from the side and don`t move around. :D

imported_Aurora40
11-27-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by ejant

Recommended cleaning for a CD is across the CD to help prevent circular scratches. So I would assume there is some truth to back and forth application in help preventing swirls

Actually, the reason for this is because the way info is stored on a CD has some error-correcting code that allows the player to recover from small bit errors. The data is laid out on the CD in a spiral, like on a record. So if you make circular scratches, you will be scratching multiple consecutive bits. The error-correcting code can`t usually recover from this. If you make linear scratches from the center out, you are scratching bits that are not close together, and the player can recover much easier from this. It isn`t because one scratches more than the other, it`s because of the error-correcting code`s ability to deal with scratches.

My ability to deal with scratches is much lower, so I prefer not to cause them rather than to have them linear vs. circular. ;)

imported_Aurora40
11-27-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by HellrotCi

I thought the main reason to work in a straight line was to minimize the visual appearance of any scratches that may be caused by polishing/buffing. What I mean is, if you work in a straight line on your hood, from the windshield to the grill, and cause any scratches, they should be less noticeable from the side. Or said in another way if you work in a straight line that would be 90° from the normal visual viewing position, the scratches should be less noticeable. By polishing in a circular motion, any scratches that may be created would have a wider degree of visibility. This is one reason that the instructions on the Zaino site advocates applying Zaino on the sides using an up and down motion, rather than a front to the rear motion.

I guess the theory is that cars are generally viewed from the side so any scratches may not be so noticeable. The next time you look at someone`s car, approach it from the side and don`t move around. :D

I think Zaino recommends the back-and-forth because they feel it has some impact on the gloss/shine it leaves. Perhaps the way the molecules line up or some other micro thing.

I am sure that linear scratches aren`t as noticeable from certain angles, but what I`m saying is that any scratches are a bad thing. You shouldn`t be inducing scratches when applying anything to your paint. I think it`s much more important to nail down a scratch-free technique than to nail down a linear one or a circular one. If you like applying it linearly, go for it. All I meant to say is I don`t think circular application is a bad thing. For some people (like me), it is much preferred because it is easier to get good product coverage. I don`t think there is anything wrong with linear or circular application. Go with whichever you prefer. But if you have scratching problems, you need to address what is causing it. Switching to linear application won`t fix the problem.

Scott301
11-27-2002, 09:28 PM
Hello,

I agree about the scratching issues how it doesn`t matter how you apply it if you are still causing scratches due to the technique. The show as a whole made me squirm, not just the circular motion thing.

Thanks all for the comments. I love Autopia!

Brad

Onehole
11-27-2002, 10:39 PM
The very mild polishes should not produce any scratches, assuming a 100% sterile environment...however we don`t get to polish our cars in operating theatres.

The more aggressive polishes we use from time to time to remove swirl marks and/or scratches absolutely produce micro scratches in the paint. Just polish the car and then get it inside under lights and you will see them.

It is for this reason that polishes need to be applied in a straight up and down fashion. Straight micro scratches are only visible when looking at then straight on. Unfortunately circular scratches are visible from any angle.

A straight up and down action for waxing is less important, as you should be using no pressure when waxing and there is nothing aggressive in the wax product.

Brad B
11-28-2002, 01:02 AM
You`ve all pretty much talked through the issue correctly. When using abrasives by hand it is important to go linear. Always go in the direction the car travels. When using non abrasive coatings/waxes the direction is not critical. :up

samiam513
11-30-2002, 05:03 PM
What he said...^^

The only reason i do linear is it shows if I made the scratch. If it is sidedways, i did not, and my technique is good.

Lowejackson
11-30-2002, 06:07 PM
however we don`t get to polish our cars in operating theatres.

I assume you have not seen BradB`s garage ;)

Steven

imported_Intel486
11-30-2002, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Lowejackson

however we don`t get to polish our cars in operating theatres.

I assume you have not seen BradB`s garage ;)

Steven

I think BradB has the best detail setup on this board... but that should be expected.

I can say it sure beats my detail spot of in the shade under a giant oak tree or on the street or under a small tent for some customers cars.

I also wouldn`t be knocking them on the pulling it into the garage under lightning and seeing lots of scratches. I have yet to see a car that I cannot find any scratches or swirls on. You`d have to have a serious garage queen for that.

fuds
11-30-2002, 10:54 PM
"I thought the main reason to work in a straight line was to minimize the visual appearance of any scratches that may be caused by polishing/buffing"

This has worked best for me. Greatly minimizes swirl marks `cuz you are not swirling.